Who we are
We are building Helsing to keep our democracies from harm. We believe that software – and artificial intelligence in particular – will be the key capability to do just that. Our mission is to attract Europe’s best mission-driven tech talent and apply their capabilities to some of the most complex problems in defence technology.
We are looking for people with their heart in the right place, who share our conviction that our democratic values are worth protecting, for ourselves and for future generations. We are a diverse team of software engineers, deep learning specialists and customer-facing programme managers, working on some of the most challenging problems in the defence space.
We care about our work and mission, and we welcome open and transparent discussions about the use of AI, its benefits and its ethical implications.
The impact you will make
The basis for intelligent systems is the ability to perceive and interact with the real world. At Helsing we push the limit of what is possible by developing AI-based capabilities that allow semi-autonomous platforms to localise, navigate, and perceive the world in its true spatio-temporal structure.
You will design, implement, and operate real-world solutions that move the needle in critical situations. You will collaborate closely with a team of world-leading AI researchers and software engineers to build a distributed ecosystem of AI capabilities, data systems, and user-facing applications. The core engineering challenge is to manage this complexity while keeping our systems fast, reliable, and scalable.
What you will work on
- Contribute to our product roadmap and architecture by ideating with customers and colleagues
- Build new components and services from scratch and improve existing systems
- Share your knowledge and learn from your co-workers in tech talks, mentoring programmes, design reviews, RFCs, etc.
- Design and implement real-time data and processing systems within sizing, bandwidth, and latency requirements
- Design and implement backend services and APIs for our user-facing applications
- Holistically make our software work—from build and deployment systems over algorithms and databases to deployment, metrics, and operations
Who we are looking for
Note: The following bullet points describe one version of our dream candidate. We very much encourage you to apply even if you believe you meet only part of our wish list.
- Ability to write legible, maintainable, and performant code that adheres to well-documented coding standards
- Excellent remote and in-person communication skills
- Strong backend architecture and development experience with Rust, Java, Python, or C++
- Experience with API and serialization frameworks like REST, GraphQL, gRPC/protobuf, Arrow
- Passion for software development and staying on top of current technologies
Nice to Have
- Strong experience with Rust
- Experience with container-based and cloud-native application architectures
- Experience with maintaining and operating production systems using Prometheus, Grafana, ELK, or similar
- Experience with SQL, NoSQL, and stream database systems
- Experience with production ML systems
- There is no other company like Helsing: we are at a pivotal stage in our journey, with a unique level of funding, and a unique level of ambition
- Work alongside and learn from world-class AI researchers, software engineers and domain experts. Our team combines excellence with dedication to our mission
- Be part of, and build, the foundational culture of the most important deep-tech company in Europe
- Have an enormous impact on some of the most important geopolitical problems, with an ethics-first approach. We regularly host company-wide fireside chats on key global issues and ethics debates
- Be part of a transparent, friendly and outcome-driven culture where trust, respect, recognition and autonomy are at the forefront of everything that we do
What we offer
- The chance to work in an innovative organisation focused on protecting our democracies
- The opportunity to drive impact in a fast-growing company with mission-orientated colleagues
- A diverse, collaborative, focused team located in the heart of Munich and offices in Berlin and London (and planned expansion in Paris)
- Flexible working hours and locations
- Diverse team events and fun in and outside the office
- Competitive compensation and stock options
Helsing is an equal opportunities employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or gender identity. Please do not submit personal data revealing racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, trade union membership, data concerning your health, or data concerning your sexual orientation.
Helsing's Candidate Privacy and Confidentiality Regime can be found here.