Who we are
We are building Helsing to keep our democracies from harm. We believe that software – and artificial intelligence in particular – will be the key capability to do just that. Our mission is to attract Europe’s best mission-driven tech talent and apply their capabilities to some of the most complex problems in defence technology.
We are looking for people with their heart in the right place, who share our conviction that our democratic values are worth protecting, for ourselves and for future generations. We are a diverse team of software engineers, deep learning specialists and customer-facing programme managers, working on some of the most challenging problems in the defence space.
We care about our work and mission, and we welcome open and transparent discussions about the use of AI, its benefits and its ethical implications.
Software only matters when it is actively being used and making a difference. As a Deployed AI Engineer, you will be at the heart of this - taking state-of-the-art AI research and models, and integrating it into complex systems. You'll be defining and executing against the end-to-end outcome, and all steps on the way, to delivering novel capabilities in some of the most challenging environments around.
For example: you collaborate directly with customer avionics engineers to understand the data structures and APIs used in aircraft mission control systems. Instead of being scared, you embrace the complexity of unfamiliar databases, APIs, or network protocols; you dig into the specification and use your creativity and ingenuity to implement adapters for integrating them with Helsing’s cloud infrastructure. By embedding deeply with our partners and customers, you continuously evolve, improve, and operate Helsing software. You own the outcome end-to-end.
What you will work on
In close collaboration with our product teams, you discover and formalise customer requirements, identify bugs, and ship the latest features directly to our users. Technology demonstrations are our chance to shine - you will coordinate between customers, partners, and Helsing engineers to showcase Helsing’s software and AI capabilities in simulations or with real systems.
Who we are looking for
Note: The following bullet points describe one version of our dream candidate. We very much encourage you to apply even if you believe you meet only part of our wish list.
- You have a degree in computer science, software engineering, electrical engineering, or other relevant fields.
- Your broad understanding and creative use of computer systems is the Swiss army knife in Helsing’s toolbox of world-class talent.
- You prefer asking questions over stipulating answers.
- You love figuring things out, digging deeper and deeper into unfamiliar systems until it finally clicks, and you understand how they work.
- You are not afraid of legacy systems and would rather make them work than give up and try to rewrite it all
- Bonus points if you have professional experience working in a defence context.
- You are comfortable with scripting languages such as BASH or Python and have experience with software engineering in C++, Java, Rust, or similar.
- You can navigate and configure Linux systems and have a basic understanding of network stacks and database systems.
- There is no other company like Helsing: we are at a pivotal stage in our journey, with a unique level of funding, and a unique level of ambition
- Work alongside and learn from world-class AI researchers and software engineers. Our team combines excellence with dedication to our mission
- Define, create, and build from the ground up. Technology, processes, and even the organisation we are all part of
- Be part of, and build, the foundational culture of the most important deep-tech company in Europe
- Have an enormous impact on some of the most important geo-political, global problems, with an ethics-first approach. We regularly host company-wide fireside chats on key global issues and ethics debates
- Be part of a transparent, friendly and outcome-driven culture where trust, respect, recognition and autonomy are at the forefront of everything that we do
What we offer
- The opportunity to drive impact and build the culture in one of the fastest-growing companies in Europe with mission-orientated colleagues
- A diverse, collaborative, hard-working team located in the heart of Munich, London and Berlin (with Paris office opening soon)
- Opportunity to visit and work from our other offices
- Flexible working hours and locations
- Diverse team events and fun in and outside the office
- Regular company-wide get-togethers in locations across Europe
- Highly competitive compensation, stock options, and benefits package
- All the equipment and technology requirements you need to be successful
Helsing is an equal opportunities employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or gender identity. Please do not submit personal data revealing racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, trade union membership, data concerning your health, or data concerning your sexual orientation.
Helsing's Candidate Privacy and Confidentiality Regime can be found here.