Hugo is a Future-of-Work company. We build and manage remote teams in West Africa for some of the world’s largest technology and media companies. We specialize in end-to-end machine learning data annotation and customer support solutions that ultimately yield more inclusive outcomes for our clients and their customers.
Our “Why?” is simple. Outsourcing generates over $430 Billion USD in revenue globally and less than 2% of that money reaches black communities. We’re changing that.
As a company, we’re obsessed with excellence. We ask smart questions to build a thorough understanding of our customer's needs; then pour ourselves into delivering not just great work, but also a perfect user experience so that we stand out in what is a very crowded market.
The only commitment greater than the one we have to our customers is the one we have to our people. We are dedicated to carving out a place in the digital economy for young Africans, so we work tirelessly to equip them with the skills needed to build meaningful careers.
As a culture, we’re Silicon Valley meets ECOWAS. We’re youthful, sharp, dynamic and fresh. We’re Lagos and Dakar, in English et en français, and we’re on a mission to win for our communities and our clients. Join us!
Hugo is looking for an experienced and passionate individual to oversee end-to-end finance operations, balance sheet reconciliations and Management accounts preparation for its US and Senegal operations. The Finance Business Partner will interact with other non-finance stakeholders and liaise with both internal and external auditors across the two continents. He / She will drive continuous improvement of financial controls and operation processes, ensure full adherence to existing processes as well as implementation of new, relevant ones.
The role entails but is not limited to providing accurate, detailed analysis and commentary for reporting purposes and ownership of various expense heads.
- Lead and coordinate accounting and finance functions, including but not limited to:
- Recording daily financial transactions
- Preparing monthly/quarterly/annual financial statements and reports in line with IFRS and US GAAP where applicable
- Investigating and reconciling any financial discrepancies
- Filing statutory reports
- Ensuring timely closing of ledger and control accounts
- Leading annual audit preparations and liaising with external and internal auditors as well as statutory partners in other locations.
- Ensuring compliance with all relevant tax regulations and timely filing of returns including VAT, withholding tax and Corporate tax amongst others
- Preparing and presenting regular reports to the executive team;
- Oversee monthly client billing, closely managing and monitoring Accounts Receivable;
- Lead and coordinate all US-based people administration functions (total headcount of 20-30 employees/contractors), including but not limited to:
- Managing payroll for US employees , international employees and contractors
- Coordinating compliance and benefits for US-based employees ,international employees and contractors;
- Ensure compliance with internal financial and accounting policies and procedures and where necessary, develop policies and procedures to ensure absolute confidentiality over ALL personnel and financial information and data;
- Act as change agent to spearhead innovative ideas that will improve finance processes and ensure efficiencies;
- Lead and coordinate obtaining and maintaining various statutory and non-statutory licenses and certifications (e.g. MBE certifications, vendor certifications, etc.);
- Liaise with regulatory/statutory authorities, agencies, banks, vendors, clients’ finance and procurement departments on admin and compliance matters;
- Provide ad-hoc support to Group Finance Controller as required (i.e. special projects);
- Maintain best practice and standards in accounting processing.
- Qualified /Part qualified accountant (ACCA, CPA, CGA)
- Good understanding of IFRS and US GAAP
- 7+ years of progressive work experience in an accounting or finance role and with multiple locations or multiple companies.
- Experience working in a start-up, scale-up, or SME environment
- Advanced proficiency in the use of MS Excel or Google Sheets
- Demonstrable evidence of interpreting & manipulating data accurately, with the ability to extract & clearly articulate key points
- Excellent verbal and communication skills
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Experience with working with ERP systems and accounting software packages (e.g. Quickbooks)
- High respect for confidentiality, privacy and use of financial and personal data.
- Perfectionist at heart
- Solution-oriented, with a strong bias to action
- Operates with a high level of accountability
What We Offer
- A competitive compensation and benefits package.
- A business model that makes sense for Africa. Hugo provides clear value to both our clients and the people we employ; we are insulated from local currency fluctuations; and we are growing.
- Opportunity to apply corporate finance experience in a fast-growing entrepreneurial environment.
- A high-caliber, fun team committed to the continent.
- Opportunity to have a large-scale impact.