Hugo is a vibrant start-up with a strong track record of success that is building the Future-of-Work through offshoring. We provide customizable solutions and a hybrid delivery model designed to minimize disruption risk, drive efficiency, and deliver more predictable outcomes for our clients. We specialize in AI operations and omnichannel customer support. Our client list includes Fortune 500 companies, and a wide range of dynamic start-ups across FinTech, EdTech, and E-commerce.
Hugo is seeking a driven, hands-on, Director of People Partnering to lead the development and execution of the company’s People strategy, focusing on building a high-performance culture, fostering employee engagement, and ensuring a seamless people management experience across the organization. This role will play a crucial part in onboarding, developing, and retaining top talent to support our growth and maintain the company’s reputation for excellence.
The core responsibilities of the role include:
(1) People Strategy and Leadership: Develop and implement a comprehensive People strategy aligned with Hugo’s business objectives; Provide strategic leadership and guidance to the People team, ensuring alignment with organizational goals; Drive a culture of inclusion and equity throughout the company; Connect People and business objectives, and ensure pragmatic implementation of People roadmap.
(2) Relationship facilitator: Support and facilitate a well engaged, performance-driven and relationship-centric partnership between managers and workforce through routines and distinct vertical specific initiatives. This includes stay conversations, weekly check-ins with Vertical Leaders/Managers, skip-level meetings with workforce & focus group discussions on a regular basis.
(2) Talent Management: Lead performance management processes and succession planning initiatives; Oversee action plan based on employee life cycle and feedback, in line with vertical-specific projects.
(3) Employee Engagement and Development: Work closely with the Community Engagement Lead to create and implement initiatives aimed at enhancing employee engagement, job satisfaction, and well-being; Develop and manage training and development programs to upskill employees and support career growth; Foster a culture of continuous learning and development.
(4) Employee Relations and Compliance: Serve as a point of contact for employee relations issues, resolving conflicts, and ensuring fair and consistent practices; Ensure compliance with all relevant employment laws and regulations; Implement People policies and procedures in line with industry best practices and in compliance with Hugo’s clients requirements; Provide feedback to Leadership on employee experience, success stories and pain points to feed into Learning & Development, reporting or systems enhancements, where required.
(5) Data Analytics and Reporting: Utilize People metrics and analytics to drive data-driven decision-making and identify areas for improvement; Develop reports in partnership with the People Analytics team to demonstrate the workforce’s state of health. Regularly report on People KPIs and provide insights to senior leadership; Define quarterly & interim action plan based on People Analytics review of vertical-specific initiatives.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, with the capacity to guide, influence and convince others.
- A service-mindset.
- Creative, with the ability to think outside the box.
- Highly resourceful, with outstanding problem-solving skills and a desire to drive innovative approaches to outcomes.
- Solution-oriented, with a strong bias to action.
- A passion for creating a positive and inclusive workplace culture.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or a related field. An MBA is strongly preferred.
- 10+ years in progressively responsible People leadership roles.
- Strong knowledge of People best practices, labor laws, and regulations.
- Ability to prioritize and manage the needs of multiple stakeholders, and to deliver People solutions within timeline in a fast-paced environment
- Exceptional leadership skills, coupled with strong organizational and problem solving skills.
- Excellent communication and negotiation abilities.
- Proficiency in PeopleIS systems and data analytics tools.
- Perfect written and oral communications skills.
WHAT WE OFFER
- A competitive compensation package.
- A business model that makes sense for Africa.
- A high-caliber, fun team committed to the continent.
- Large-scale, measurable impact.