Hugo is a vibrant start-up with a strong track record of success that is building the Future-of-Work through offshoring. We provide customizable solutions and a hybrid delivery model designed to minimize disruption risk, drive efficiency, and deliver more predictable outcomes for our clients. We specialize in AI operations and omnichannel customer support. Our client list includes Fortune 500 companies, and a wide range of dynamic start-ups across FinTech, EdTech, and E-commerce.
We are seeking an experienced and dynamic Head of Legal Operations to build and oversee our Legal department across our operating entities in Africa. In this role your primary objective will be to ensure that the company is compliant with all applicable legislation in each operating country.
The ideal candidate will have a genuine interest in scale ups and in navigating the complexities of doing business in Africa. This role works closely with People Operations, and reports to the Chief Operating Officer.
- Fully own Hugo’s legal compliance function in all operating countries for all ongoing business operations and any one-off or non-standard transactions.
- Collaborate w/ key company leaders, government agencies, law firms, and other external agencies to keep Hugo in strong legal standing.
- Design and implement company policies and procedures to ensure legal, compliance and risk management best practices throughout the company.
- Develop subject matter expertise on, and provide accurate, relevant, and timely guidance re:
- Employment and remote working laws in operating and prospective countries.
- Entity formation in prospective countries.
- Collaborate with People Operations to ensure compliance on employee issues including hiring, data privacy, compensation, disciplinary actions, severance agreements, etc.
- Collaborate with Finance and external consultants to provide legal advice and ensure compliance on corporate and employee taxes, and on statutory filings and remittances.
- Create, review, and negotiate various types of employment contracts and vendor agreements, including technology, real estate, and marketing agreements.
- Work closely with Commercial and Service Delivery teams to review and negotiate complex client-facing contracts, ensuring that the interests of the company and its subsidiaries are protected to the extent possible.
- Structure, draft and negotiate various types of partnership and funding agreements with impact partners, non-profit organizations, etc.
- Lead internal legal audits and be a key contact person for any external legal audits and due diligence processes.
- Stay up-to-date with changes to legislation, particularly laws, rules and regulations related to corporate compliance, employment and remote work.
- Resolve legal issues as they arise in employment, commercial, and governmental relationships; Handle pre-litigation legal disputes and inquiries.
- Deeply curious.
- A perfectionist at heart; you set a high bar for your work and lead others to do the same.
- Highly organized and well-structured: both in the way you think and communicate.
- Proactive, and able to thrive with little to no supervision.
- Solution-oriented, with a strong bias to action.
- 7+ years’ experience at a top-tier law firm. In-house legal experience preferred.
- Working knowledge of Nigerian corporate and employment law is required. Tax law is a big plus.
- Working knowledge of corporate and employment legislation in other African countries is a plus.
- Excellent analytical skills with the ability to provide practical advice and creative solutions that balance business needs against legal risks.
- Effective interpersonal and negotiation skills; comfortable engaging across all levels internally and externally.
- Articulate and effective communicator, with excellent writing skills.
- Excellent attention to detail, organization, efficiency, and preparedness.
- Ability to work under time constraints and to adapt to a fast-paced, fluid environment.
WHAT WE OFFER
- A competitive compensation package.
- A business model that makes sense for Africa.
- Large-scale, measurable impact.
- An opportunity to shape the future of work in Africa!