The Institute of Export & International Trade (IOE&IT) is the leading UK membership association for those working in exporting and importing. These are exciting times in international trade and we’re seeing sustained growth in the demand for our services and qualifications – as a result, our team needs to grow too.
We are now recruiting Head of Academic Services to help with the next stage of IOE&IT’s development as we move towards University status. We expect the role can be carried remotely although you will be expected to attend meetings as required which may involve travel. We have offices in London and Peterborough.
We are looking for an Educational Professional with sound business acumen and strategic thinking who understands the Higher Education (HE) sector, along with regulations and standards.
The role will be working within our Academy department who are responsible for all the qualifications and training in Import/Export/International Trade that we provide to Members, Clients and other Customs Professionals & Practitioners.
You will lead the education and professional practice agenda, working closely with the Director to ensure that the key performance indicators in this area are met. As well as taking responsibility for academic quality assurance and enhancement within the Academy.
The Head of Academic Services will be responsible for leading initiatives that foster pedagogic development and embed new learning technologies. You will be tasked with driving revenue streams, digitalisation of courses and ensuring good learner journeys with positive outcomes as the international trade sector takes on new relevance following our transition out of the European Union.
The main function of this job is to lead multi-disciplinary teams in the provision of education, apprenticeships, student support services and working towards attaining university status. The successful candidate will represent the Institute of Export and International Trade (IOE&IT) Academy at external stakeholder and internal leadership meetings.
The successful candidate needs to be a confident leader, able to work using their own initiative and to tight deadlines, driving excellence and building a workforce to deliver on our strategy aims as we help develop the professionals of the future. The candidate will need to be confident public speaking and representing the IOE&IT at all levels, internally and externally.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Managerial responsibility for Academic teams; including the Education team, the Student Support, the Apprenticeships and University Status teams. Responsibilities include day to day running of the teams, target & objective setting, performance management, resourcing and recruitment and 1:1 meetings with direct reports
- To support the Director Academic and Industry Support Services to deliver against the IOE&IT strategic objectives
- To support the Director Academic and Industry Support Services, ensuring learning content is developed and delivered in a professional manner and is current and engaging
- To support the Director Academic and Industry Support Services in oversight of internal adherence to regulatory education frameworks
- To support the Director Academic and Industry Support Services in expanding education provision to include RoATP primary apprenticeships provider and working towards university status
- To support the Director Academic and Industry Support Services in developing and delivering a best-in-class learning experience across Academy products and services
- To represent the IOE&IT at public events including public speaking, industry events and industry committees, building a strong network amongst stakeholders to ensure that the IO&IT brand is positively represented
- To act as an ambassador for the function and the organisation in terms of diligent and ethical conduct and performance
- To communicate in an articulate, professional, and informed manner across all levels of the business, both internally and externally
- To maintain the integrity of the business through the accurate and timely recording of all relevant data
DESIRED SKILLS SET AND EXPERIENCE:
The successful applicant will have the following essential knowledge and experience:
- Professional qualifications in higher education delivery e.g. PGCAP
- Degree or equivalent level qualification relating to international trade e.g. International Business or Supply Chain Management
- 10+ years proven hands-on experience in delivering university level higher education, training and academic services in the UK or internationally e.g. as a Head of Department
- Proven operational experience of managing multi-disciplinary teams in a complex environment
- Experience in delivering academic tutoring and course creation
- Awareness and understanding of educational regulatory frameworks and assurance processes
- Budget management skills to support project implementation
- Experience in creating and implementing blended learning
- Understanding and working with different educational pathways
- Knowledge of building and developing curriculums
- Have a working knowledge of outreach programs
The successful applicant will have the following essential skills:
- Communication - ability to communicate effectively at all levels; ensuring IOE&IT is represented with credibility, including a proven record of public speaking to a high standard
- Stakeholder Management - ability to build effective and credible relationships across a range of stakeholder groups both internally and externally
- Leadership skills – challenge and support team members, driving excellence and inspiring through action, supporting, and coaching.
- Self-starter – having the ability to work using own initiative with a strong focus on quality
This is a wonderful opportunity to get in at the beginning and help build and develop our academic status.
- 36.5 hours per week including 4pm Friday finish
- 25 days annual leave and day off for your birthday too
- Annual performance-related bonus
- Employee Assistance Programme (EAP)
- Private healthcare including Optician/Dental costs
- Life Assurance (Salary x4)
- Personalised training
- A range of discounts for shopping, holidays and cinema attendance
- Free breakfast in Peterborough
- 2 days volunteering a year
Diversity and inclusion:
Life would be boring if we were all the same! - IOE&IT is a company with a charitable status that believes in diversity and inclusion, as shown in the hiring and progression of our team members. The IOE&IT’s workforce is truly diverse – in age, nationality, gender and location.
With a passion for nurturing, supporting and including all team members – no matter who you are – we celebrate identity. We are proud of who we are and where we come from.
As an Investors in People accredited organisation, we care about and prioritise all of our team members daily. We ensure to engage with and listen to everyone.
Our Disability Confident and Mindful Employer accreditations express our commitment to the specialist needs and mental health of IOE&IT team members.
Having family-friendly policies allows our employees to partake in a flexible work environment so they can take care of children and loved ones.
If you think you're a good fit for this position: fill out your details below, attach an up-to-date copy of your CV and then submit your application for review by IOE&IT's Talent Team.
Look forward to hearing from you soon!