Irembo is a technology company that designs and develops digital products to ease the accessibility of services in users’ everyday lives worldwide, starting with Rwanda. Our pioneer product, IremboGov, has enabled Rwandan citizens and foreigners to access over 100 public services online through a one-stop-shop platform. To date, we have made over 20M+ transactions through our platforms. We have ambitious goals to scale our technology worldwide to enable more governments and institutions to serve their citizens better. More information is available on irembo.com.
We are looking for a Data Lead to support us in getting to the next level regarding data, analytics, and business intelligence by building and spreading a data culture in the company, putting in place the processes, systems, and technologies to make the best use of Irembo’s generated data, as well as to build and lead our upcoming Data & Analytics team.
The Data unit is a transverse entity working directly under the CEO and collaborating closely with all departments of Irembo in data management and analytics projects. Its principal missions are:
- Helping the leadership build the foundations of Irembo’s future development with a business and data-driven approach
- Contributing to a strategic and data-driven approach to decision making
- Serving as a core section in collecting, organizing, and managing business data and making this data available for analysis, visualization, and reporting
- Contributing to delight our clients and customers while providing visibility across the board on Irembo’s past and projected activities
- Providing analytical insights to the business and to our partners through data analytics and business intelligence
To be successful in this role, you should be confident in understanding and managing large datasets, have a high disposition for systems thinking, and have a strong passion for building and scaling a highly effective data-driven organization.
What You Will Do
- Build the technology
- Create and drive Irembo’s data roadmap for our product, prioritizing enhancements and new features aligned with company goals
- Develop and communicate our data strategy to the company, our partners as well as investors, and board members
- Create an environment where innovative technologies are experimented
- Support the Product and Engineering teams in designing data-driven products
- Maximize the value from the data generated through Irembo
- Gather and prepare relevant data to use in analytics applications
- Use various types of analytics tools to detect patterns, trends, and relationships in data sets
- Develop statistical and predictive models to run against the data sets
- Create data visualizations dashboards and reports to communicate findings
- Leverage Irembo’s current products and systems to generate insights from the applications made on Irembo’s platforms
- Understand and transform our data to drive value for our clients
- Provide clear and actionable insights on Irembo’s products
- Mine data using business intelligence tools
- Build queries and execute business logic algorithms to prepare data in a suitable format for visualization
- Transform business requirements into coherent query algorithm
- Organize business data analysis tasks in a clear self-explanatory process
- Develop, automate, compile, and prepare reports and dashboards for various internal and external stakeholders
- Develop and implement procedures for effective data management (in collaboration with the Data Engineering and Database Administration team)
- Create rules and procedures for data sharing
- Regularly monitor and evaluate information and data systems that could affect analytical results
- Assess system performance and make recommendations for software, hardware, and data storage improvements
- Continually develop data management strategies
- Lead the Data team
- Design the data organization
- Hire data analysts and coordinate their development
- Oversee development teams and their projects
- Create interesting technical challenges for the team that deliver value for the business
- Manage the scope of the Data team
- Design strategies for future development projects based on the company’s overall objectives and resources
- Manage data development projects by setting requirements, goals, and timelines
You will be a good ﬁt if:
- You hold a Master’s or a Ph.D. in computer science (with a focus on data science/data engineering), mathematics, statistics, or a related field from a top-tier Rwandan or international institution
- You have 5 years of work experience in the field of data science, of which at least 2 years as a data lead (or in a similar role)
- You have experience building a data team from scratch
- You have experience within related SQL / no SQL / ETL processes and are familiar with ETL/ELT tools and processes (Ex: MapReduce, Hive, Pig, Apache Nifi, Apache Spark / Spark Streaming, Apache Pinot, Ksql, Druid)
- You are familiar with databases, scripting languages, and visualization tools (SQL, R/Python, Excel, Power BI, Tableau…)
- You have experience outlining and implementing the data strategy of an entire organization
- You know the Rwandan e-governance and e-payment ecosystem
- You have experience designing and implementing the data science technical stack, infrastructure, software development best practices, and agile methodologies
- You have strong organizational skills that reflect the ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail
- You have excellent writing, organizational, and interpersonal skills, including clear and effective written and verbal communication skills
- You have great people skills and the ability to develop and maintain productive working relationships with internal and external partners
- You can work independently, anticipating key topics to be covered and prioritizing your work autonomously, with the capability to lead a project end-to-end with limited support and guidance
- You are a forward-looking thinker, who actively seeks opportunities and proposes solutions
- You are a solid team player and an independent thinker
- You have the ability to translate complex problems clearly and in nontechnical terms
- You are fluent in English
Benefits and Compensation
- Employee savings plan
- A voluntary saving scheme plan where the company matches your savings up to 5% of your Net salary.
- Mental health support
- Access to mental health support and therapy sessions with licensed therapists through a renowned mental wellness platform.
- Medical insurance
- Medical cover for you and your family includes access to dental care, ophthalmology services, maternity, chronic diseases, congenital malformation, and more, in Rwanda, Uganda, Kenya, and India. Note that, as the law requires, a 10% co-pay from the employee on outpatient services only.
- Learning and development (L&D)
- We encourage self-driven professionals who want to learn and grow their knowledge and experience. A budget is allocated to you to access your professional development opportunities.
- Other benefits
- Breakfast, lunch, and beverages (tea, coffee) at work
- Annual fitness membership at pre-selected good-quality facilities across Kigali.
- Interest-free salary advances
- Annual paid leave - 21 days
- Annual performance bonus based on the performance and profitability of the company.
- The 13th cheque equals your net salary and is paid in December.It’s calculated/prorated based on the joining period.
- Hybrid work Policy and flexible hours
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to providing a positive interview experience for every candidate. We're on a mission to change our continent through technology and are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace and strongly encourage applicants from all backgrounds, nationalities, and walks of life.
Our head office is based in Kigali, Rwanda.