Jumia is the leading pan-Africa e-commerce platform. Founded in 2012, Jumia’s mission is to improve the quality of everyday life in Africa by leveraging technology to deliver innovative, convenient and affordable online services to consumers, while helping businesses grow as they use our platform to reach and serve consumers.
Our platforms consist of our marketplace, which connects sellers with consumers, our logistics service, which enables the shipment and delivery of packages from sellers to consumers, and our payment service, which facilitates transactions among participants active on our platform in selected markets. Through our online platforms, consumers can access a wide range of physical and digital goods and services, fashion, electronics, beauty products and also hotel and flight bookings or restaurant delivery.
With over 5,000 employees in more than 10 countries in Africa, Jumia is led by top talented leaders offering a great mix of local and international talents and is backed by very high-profile shareholders. Jumia is committed to creating sustainable impact for Africa. Jumia offers unique opportunities in a vibrant and booming environment, creating new jobs, new skills, and empowering a new generation.
About the role:
The Regional Head of Retail Grocery is the owner of the category’s profitability. As part of his job, they will have to profitably grow the grocery category in multiple markets. He will have to show a great negotiation expertise with connections with top vendors to be able to support the local teams in closing contracts with big regional players and training/supporting them to achieve the desired results locally.
Furthermore, the Regional Head of Retail Grocery will be responsible for the inventory management of our controlled ecommerce grocery supply and our dark store supply. He will be working with the commercial teams to always ensure correct inventory levels - creating POs, matching inventory to demand, working with the supplier to adjust PO, working with Jumia Services to inbound stock in a timely manner.
- Understanding the market, vendors, and customers to bring valuable insights and convictions to profitably grow Jumia.
- Steer the full P&L of vendors across the category.
- Monitoring daily performance to achieve present targets and objectives.
- Supporting local teams on negotiation of retail contracts
- Controlling the margin and pricing mechanisms
- Redefining the replenishment mechanism at group level for our 10 markets
- Participating to redefining our inbounding process to increase our efficiency
- Following up on stock levels at all times (missed business and clearance)
- Ensuring there is a steady flow between our vendors, our main warehouses and our dark stores.
- Preparing key commercial campaigns by ensuring we have the right stock levels
- Constantly working toward improving and simplifying our tools and processes
- Automating our PO process to generate PO instantly for replenishment
- Working seamlessly with all departments (Commercial, Marketing, Onsite, Operations...), enabling decision making, problem solving and ensuring laser focus execution.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Strong retail and procurement experience
- Action and results oriented.
- Very strong analytical skills.
- Ability to analyze large data sets to make strategic decisions.
- Strong interpersonal skills: ability to convince the people and your team that you are making the right decisions and recommendations to drive the business.
- Fast learner and well organized.
- Resistant to stress: strong ability to work under pressure to deliver results in short deadlines
- Very independent with a strong ability to go further than the expectations.
Expected background and technical skills:
- >7+ years experience in Retail and procurement
- A unique experience in an entrepreneurial, yet structured environment
- A unique opportunity of having strong impact in building the African ecommerce sector
- The opportunity to become part of a highly professional and dynamic team
- An unparalleled personal and professional growth as our longer-term objective is to train the next generation of leaders