Jumia is the leading pan-Africa e-commerce platform. Founded in 2012, Jumia’s mission is to improve the quality of everyday life in Africa by leveraging technology to deliver innovative, convenient and affordable online services to consumers, while helping businesses grow as they use our platform to reach and serve consumers.
Our platforms consist of our marketplace, which connects sellers with consumers, our logistics service, which enables the shipment and delivery of packages from sellers to consumers, and our payment service, which facilitates transactions among participants active on our platform in selected markets. Through our online platforms, consumers can access a wide range of physical and digital goods and services, fashion, electronics, beauty products and also hotel and flight bookings or restaurant delivery.
With over 5,000 employees in more than 10 countries in Africa, Jumia is led by top talented leaders offering a great mix of local and international talents and is backed by very high-profile shareholders. Jumia is committed to creating sustainable impact for Africa. Jumia offers unique opportunities in a vibrant and booming environment, creating new jobs, new skills, and empowering a new generation.
What's this job all about?
A key element to help Jumia grow is to use an unprecedented amount of data available to make smart decisions.
Data Science team is an agile and international team spread across different countries. Data Scientists are working closely with Big Data engineers, business stakeholders and Product owners. Data Science team is involved in various projects (to name a few) -
- Delivery route optimisation
- Product image similarity
- Product/Restaurant recommendations
- User segmentations
- User search queries segmentation
- Fraud detection
- Loan default prediction
To take us to the next level, we are looking for a proactive Data Scientist with hands-on experience with either of the said areas.
The ideal candidate would be able to design and implement data science models to find patterns in the data and understand the quality of it. Also, what we would expect from is to be proactive and pragmatic in order to deliver more data driven value.
- Being responsible for one of our data science projects.
- Mentor junior data scientists involved in the project.
- Develop end-to-end understanding of business.
- Owns business KPIs attached to the project.
- Evaluate models and fine tune model parameters considering the business problem behind. - Designing, implementing, and analyzing AB tests.
- Be able to work autonomously on complex projects proposing innovative solutions where appropriate.
- Working closely with data / bigData engineers to deploy the models into production and ensure scalability.
- PhD or Master degree (with 4+ years of experience) in data science or similar field - Very comfortable using pandas, numpy, scikit-learn, xgboost and matplotlib
- Experience in one or more programming languages (Python, R, etc.)
- Advanced SQL
- Knowledge of applied statistics (fit regression curves, build predictive models, statistical significance)
- Experience with A/B testing
- Good communication skills
- Nice to have: experience in NLP, Deep Learning related libs (e.g. TensorFlow, Keras, PyTorch), PySpark, Solver
- A unique experience in an entrepreneurial, yet structured environment
- A unique opportunity of having strong impact in building the African ecommerce sector
- The opportunity to become part of a highly professional and dynamic team
- An unparalleled personal and professional growth as our longer-term objective is to train the next generation of leaders