Jumia is the leading pan-Africa e-commerce platform. Founded in 2012, Jumia’s mission is to improve the quality of everyday life in Africa by leveraging technology to deliver innovative, convenient and affordable online services to consumers, while helping businesses grow as they use our platform to reach and serve consumers.
Our platforms consist of our marketplace, which connects sellers with consumers, our logistics service, which enables the shipment and delivery of packages from sellers to consumers, and our payment service, which facilitates transactions among participants active on our platform in selected markets. Through our online platforms, consumers can access a wide range of physical and digital goods and services, fashion, electronics, beauty products and also hotel and flight bookings or restaurant delivery.
With over 5,000 employees in more than 10 countries in Africa, Jumia is led by top talented leaders offering a great mix of local and international talents and is backed by very high-profile shareholders. Jumia is committed to creating sustainable impact for Africa. Jumia offers unique opportunities in a vibrant and booming environment, creating new jobs, new skills, and empowering a new generation.
Are you eager to work in a great team and share knowledge? Do you like problem analysis and solving? Do you have a solution oriented and proactive attitude? Then Jumia’s Tech Centers are the place to be!
The four tech centers of Jumia, based in Egypt (Cairo and Alexandria), Kenya (Nairobi) and Portugal (Porto) include more than 500 technical experts from different technologies who have been hired and trained at the highest professional level. By choosing one of these Tech Centers, you will be working with state of the art technologies and methodologies, and using agile philosophy, all as means to improve the lives of millions of Africans across the continent by offering them convenient and affordable online solutions. And with that as our PURPOSE, innovation at Jumia NEVER stops and you will be moving from one exciting challenge to the next.
The project you will be working on:
Be part of the evolution of the Shop/Marketplace team that has supported customers making 83M orders and whose business is growing at a rate of 50% year on year. The technical challenge we have to face is scaling our Marketplace to handle this incredibly high volume and growth whilst finalizing the migration from monolith into a micro service architecture.
The challenges you will embrace:
Lead a multidisciplinary team that is developing Jumia’s Marketplace that is scaling/growing very rapidly, double digit growth every month, and at the same time changing people's lives by bringing goods closer to consumers at a price they can’t normally find. The opportunity is huge due to fast pace growth of eCommerce adoption in a very young population. Jumia has come to the market at the right time and will dominate it for years to come.
What we are looking for:
- Experience as an individual contributor working with agile methodologies
- A track record of leading effective teams (officially or unofficially - this may be your first experience as engineering manager)
- An eye for recruiting great people
- A great sense to manage technical debt and you know investing in quality will make you go faster
- The ability to be autonomous and to own your decisions
- The ambition to grow the company and within the company
- A great technical sense to challenge engineers and product to make the right decisions
- Full professional English proficiency
- A unique experience in an entrepreneurial, yet structured environment
- A unique opportunity of having strong impact in building the African ecommerce sector
- The opportunity to become part of a highly professional and dynamic team
- An unparalleled personal and professional growth as our longer-term objective is to train the next generation of leaders