Jumia is the leading pan-Africa e-commerce platform. Founded in 2012, Jumia’s mission is to improve the quality of everyday life in Africa by leveraging technology to deliver innovative, convenient and affordable online services to consumers, while helping businesses grow as they use our platform to reach and serve consumers.
Our platforms consist of our marketplace, which connects sellers with consumers, our logistics service, which enables the shipment and delivery of packages from sellers to consumers, and our payment service, which facilitates transactions among participants active on our platform in selected markets. Through our online platforms, consumers can access a wide range of physical and digital goods and services, fashion, electronics, beauty products and also hotel and flight bookings or restaurant delivery.
With over 5,000 employees in more than 10 countries in Africa, Jumia is led by top talented leaders offering a great mix of local and international talents and is backed by very high-profile shareholders. Jumia is committed to creating sustainable impact for Africa. Jumia offers unique opportunities in a vibrant and booming environment, creating new jobs, new skills, and empowering a new generation.
Are you eager to work in a great team and share knowledge? Do you like problem analysis and solving? Do you have a solution oriented and proactive attitude? Then Jumia’s Tech Centers are the place to be!
The four tech centers of Jumia, based in Egypt (Cairo and Alexandria), Kenya (Nairobi) and Portugal (Porto) include more than 500 technical experts from different technologies who have been hired and trained at the highest professional level. By choosing one of these Tech Centers, you will be working with state of the art technologies and methodologies, and using agile philosophy, all as means to improve the lives of millions of Africans across the continent by offering them convenient and affordable online solutions. And with that as our PURPOSE, innovation at Jumia NEVER stops and you will be moving from one exciting challenge to the next.
The project you will be working on:
Be part of the team that is responsible for supporting over 800k local and global vendors/sellers who are offering over 600M products in our marketplace across all countries and growing at a very fast pace. Solving these scaling challenges along with the migration into a new micro service architecture poses a tough challenge, a great learning opportunity and cause huge impact on the future of Jumia
The challenges you will embrace:
Lead a multidisciplinary team that is working on the platform that is responsible for managing many millions of products directly by the sellers and is a central piece towards Jumia’s growth as the number and quality of products are the main vectors for a successful marketplace. Here you’ll have the opportunity to work on a brand new platform designed to scale not just on a technical perspective, but also on a business/operations perspective that is allowing more products to get to our customers hands improving their life.
What we are looking for:
- Experience as an individual contributor working with agile methodologies
- A track record of leading effective teams (officially or unofficially - this may be your first experience as engineering manager)
- An eye for recruiting great people
- A great sense to manage technical debt and you know investing in quality will make you go faster
- The ability to be autonomous and to own your decisions
- The ambition to grow the company and within the company
- A great technical sense to challenge engineers and product to make the right decisions
- Full professional English proficiency
- A unique experience in an entrepreneurial, yet structured environment
- A unique opportunity of having strong impact in building the African ecommerce sector
- The opportunity to become part of a highly professional and dynamic team
- An unparalleled personal and professional growth as our longer-term objective is to train the next generation of leaders