Jumia is the leading pan-Africa e-commerce platform. Founded in 2012, Jumia’s mission is to improve the quality of everyday life in Africa by leveraging technology to deliver innovative, convenient and affordable online services to consumers, while helping businesses grow as they use our platform to reach and serve consumers.
Our platforms among others, comprises of:
- Marketplace, where we integrate with our sellers and manage products;
- Mall, which is our core e-com platform that enables customers to buy products;
- Logistics service, which enables the shipment and delivery of packages from sellers to consumers, and our external clients;
- Payment service, which facilitates transactions among participants active on our platform in our markets.
Through our online platforms, consumers can access a wide range of physical and digital goods and services, fashion, electronics, beauty products and also hotel and flight bookings or restaurant delivery.
With over 5,000 employees in more than 10 countries in Africa, Jumia is led by top talented leaders offering a great mix of local and international talents and is backed by very high-profile shareholders. Jumia is committed to creating a sustainable impact for Africa. Jumia offers unique opportunities in a vibrant and booming environment, creating new jobs and skills, and empowering a new generation.
What you will be doing:
- Autonomy interpreting business/technical requirements, designing, implementing and testing high-quality solutions
- Work in a team-based development environment with modular code base, peer reviews and pull requests, with disciplined use of source code control and documentation
- Constantly aim for quality, scalability, performance, and architecture keeping good practices, security, and compliance in check
- Be part of a fast and agile development process
- Contribute actively and proactively to optimize applications, processes, and methodologies
- Be willful to help peers, being part of a collaborative environment for development, testing, and automation tasks
What we are looking for:
- Strong working experience and knowledge with PHP 7 and PHP frameworks (e.g. Zend Expressive, Laravel, Symfony)
- Clear understanding of OOP, Design Patterns and anti-patterns, SOLID principles
- Working experience with relation and non-relational databases (e.g. MySQL, Couchbase, Redis...)
- Experienced with testing layers (unit, integration and functional testing) and version control technologies (e.g. GIT)
- Understanding of Queuing and Streaming systems (e.g. RabbitMQ, Kafka)
- Academic background in IT or equivalent
- Knowledge in algorithms and distributed systems
- Proficiency in English
- 2 year of experience
The following skills are not required but will make your profile stand out.
- Experience with caching services (e.g. Memcache, Varnish) and containerization
- Experience with services/microservices oriented architecture, ideally in a e-commerce scope
- Familiar with SCRUM methodology
- A unique experience in an entrepreneurial, yet structured environment
- A unique opportunity of having strong impact in building the African e-commerce sector
- The opportunity to become part of a highly professional and dynamic team
- An unparalleled personal and professional growth as our longer term objective is to train the next generation of leaders