Jumia is the leading pan-Africa e-commerce platform. Founded in 2012, Jumia’s mission is to improve the quality of everyday life in Africa by leveraging technology to deliver innovative, convenient and affordable online services to consumers, while helping businesses grow as they use our platform to reach and serve consumers.
Our platforms consist of our marketplace, which connects sellers with consumers, our logistics service, which enables the shipment and delivery of packages from sellers to consumers, and our payment service, which facilitates transactions among participants active on our platform in selected markets. Through our online platforms, consumers can access a wide range of physical and digital goods and services, fashion, electronics, beauty products and also hotel and flight bookings or restaurant delivery.
With over 5,000 employees in more than 10 countries in Africa, Jumia is led by top talented leaders offering a great mix of local and international talents and is backed by very high-profile shareholders. Jumia is committed to creating sustainable impact for Africa. Jumia offers unique opportunities in a vibrant and booming environment, creating new jobs, new skills, and empowering a new generation.
Jumia in Porto
At Jumia Porto Tech Center we boast over 16 different nationalities. We have around 350 employees from several business areas, from IT, to Finance, to HR. The IT team represents 75% of it, so as you can see we are a major tech company, and as a Tech company, we share an innovative spirit. At Jumia PTC you will work under the most updated technologies and work methodologies. We are great fans of Agile philosophy and we aim to keep things simple but smart. Also, for Jumia, technology relates with improvement for our world. We see technology as something we need to put purpose into. Our mission is to leverage technology to improve everyday life in Africa and we do it by delivering convenient and affordable online services to consumers, helping them fulfill basic everyday needs. And while we’re present in Africa, we get to take African economy online, helping small and large businesses grow and reach new consumers. This is what drives our day to day decisions. :)
We are looking for great people to join our amazing teams and celebrate our achievements. At Jumia we work hard, but we do Tech With Purpose!
Are you eager to work in a great team and share knowledge? Do you like problem analysis and solving? Do you have a solution oriented and proactive attitude? Jumia Porto Tech Center is for you!
What you will be doing:
- Be part of the Jumia Engineering Management team and play a key role in Jumia’s technology plan
- Be a role model for the Jumia Values
- Manage a team of super talented Software Engineers
- Coach managers and engineers in your teams and set their career path
- Drive your team on a continuous lookout for improvement
- Build reliable systems that scale to Jumia's ambitions
- Interact and communicate effectively with engineers, product owners, and business stakeholders
- Partner with the product lead to manage project scope and ensure the technical deliverables are met
- Identify headcount needs for the team, plan and recruit to fill these needs
- Find a group of humble and smart people ready to make you grow and to grow with you
- Change the Internet landscape in Africa and the World through your team
What we are looking for:
- 8+ years experience as an individual Software Engineer contributor working with agile methodologies
- A track record of 3+ years leading effective teams
- An eye for recruiting great people
- A great sense to manage technical debt and you know investing in quality will make you go faster
- The ability to be autonomous and to own your decisions
- The ambition to grow the company and within the company
- A great technical sense to challenge engineers and product to make the right decisions
- Full professional English proficiency
- A unique experience in an entrepreneurial, yet structured environment
- A unique opportunity of having strong impact in building the African e-commerce sector
- The opportunity to become part of a highly professional and dynamic team
- An unparalleled personal and professional growth as our longer-term objective is to train the next generation of leaders