Klang is a game studio exploring the future of humanity through various forms of media. We aim to present deep, meaningful subjects in a way that's captivating, easy-to-digest and entertaining for all ages.
At the heart of Klang is Seed, a large-scale, persistent virtual world that we believe will redefine the MMO landscape and have a positive impact on our species.
We aspire to bring people together through engaging media experiences and by building strong communities.
It's a super exciting project, but in order for us to achieve a goal like this we are going to need a lot of help! From people just like you.
We’re in search of an Accounting and Tax Lead (f/m/d) who can play a pivotal role in creating, what we believe, will be the first MMO of its kind.
So who would you be working with?
You would sit in our Finance Team, responsible for bringing the finance organisation to the next level and making it ready to scale, working closely with the Head of Finance. We offer a greenfield environment to build best-in-class workflows and processes around the Workday ERP that will catalyze and support the growth of Klang.
You will play a central role in building out our in-house Accounting team to support a scaling company and you will play a key role in improving the setup of Workday Financials after go-live in Q1 2024. You will be the main point of contact to our external accountants, tax advisors, auditors, the authorities and other stakeholders. You will get the freedom to continuously improve and extend our financial tools and processes as a well-oiled machine.
This team works from our Klang HQ in Berlin and you would report directly to the Head of Finance.
So, what would you be doing?
- Guiding the transition from external to in-house accounting, ensure a smooth transition and building out a strong team as Klang grows.
- Having full ownership of finance operations, accounting, and tax topics of our two legal entities in Germany and Spain.
- You would be the main point of contact to our external accountants, our payroll office, our auditors and our tax advisors.
- Producing compliant month-end and annual closings, managing our annual audit process and ensuring a timely closing.
- Supervising our accounts payable and payroll process.
- Collaborating closely with our Senior Business Systems Manager and the Engineering Team on building out the Billing, Payment processing backbone of our game SEED, and getting ready for global launch.
- Providing guidance on VAT and global sales tax topics and working together with external advisors to ensure that Klang is compliant in all jurisdictions where we operate.
- Hiring, leading and training an accounting team following the go-live of SEED.
- Keeping up to date with accounting principles and regulatory accounting developments in order to ensure the optimization of internal processes and provide accounting guidance to key stakeholders.
You could be the person we are searching for if you have…
- At least 5 years experience in an Accounting role at a tech startup or Big-4 Audit firm and you are ready for your next career move.
- First-hand experience managing in-house accounting and running a multi-entity consolidation process as well as having had your first experience in leadership.
- A deep understanding of what best practices are for digital accounting workflows - you are a digital accounting native!
- Very good knowledge of HGB.
- Experience with cloud ERP’s.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in both English and German.
Bonus points for…
- A Bachelor's degree in the field of Accounting or Taxation.
- Knowledge of IFRS.
- Knowledge of Workday Financials.
- Having a flexible, open personality, and being a strong team player.
- Being resourceful, taking initiative, and not shying away from finding your own solutions to problems.
- Being detail-oriented and taking pride in your work product.
Benefits, Klang HQ (Berlin)
- An opportunity to work on a groundbreaking project with a lot of room for professional and personal development
- Competitive salary and 27 days of paid vacation
- Monthly public transport travel ticket or co-contribution to e-bike/e-moped
- Monthly company co-contributions to private pensions
- Reimbursement for physical health activities
- Employee Assistance Program, including mental health support, legal advice as well as support finding doctor’s appointments
- Mental health support
- Flexible office hours (with core hours)
- Monthly team events and activities
- A brand-new, dog-friendly office in the heart of Kreuzberg with adjustable standing desks, ergonomic chairs, and mobile aircon units for hot summers.
- Healthy snacks and drinks in the office
- Virtual Stock Options (VSOP)
Additional information that may be interesting to you
How we get to know you…
- The recruiter screen: You will have a 45 minute interview with one of the Klang Talent Acquisition Team. During this conversation, you will be asked questions about your motivations for joining us here at Klang and to give an overview of your relevant skills/experience. We will also ask you a set of questions that are linked to our company values.
- Hiring Manager: If successful, you will have a 1 hour interview with Milan, our Head of Finance. This is usually the person who you would report into and you will dive much deeper into your experience.
- Competency: In this round you will meet members of the Finance Team (Accounting, FP&A, Business Systems) and you will do a short case study with us around in-house accounting setup and the consolidation process.
- Final: A 1 hour interview with the other Operations Team members. This is to assess how you would fit into the team as well as for you to decide if you feel there is a team fit from your side.
So what can you expect to be working on after starting with us?
In your first 30 days:
- Get familiar with Klang, the Finance Team and our partners
- Do Workday Training in case you need to get up to speed on the new system
- Handover of ongoing tasks from colleagues
In your first 90 days:
- Collaborate with our external accountants and our Workday consultants and facilitate the business go-live of Workday
- Produce our first independent month-end-close in-house
- Start exploring change suggestions in our internal workflows and our Workday setup.
In your first 180 days:
- Drive change initiatives in our Workday setup and facilitate a smooth transition to in-house accounting. Align with advisors and external accountants if needed.
- Participate actively in building out the Order-2-Cash infrastructure of SEED, providing all relevant strategic accounting and tax requirements and prepare us for our first paying customers.
If you don’t feel that you quite meet all the requirements above, but the position still excites you and you think you would love to work for Klang, reach out! We still want to hear from you.
At Klang, we create products that inspire people to deepen their understanding of the emergent nature of society and collectively envision a better future.
At the heart of Klang is SEED an accessible, persistent world in which players share a history and shape a future. We provide an environment for a broad audience to belong and develop relationships in a society simulation inspired by life itself.
We explicitly encourage applications from applicants from groups underrepresented in games/tech spaces. We value all kinds of backgrounds and walks of life.