At Koa Health, we believe in putting people (and their mental health) first. So we’ve made it our goal to leverage technology and research to enable people to change their behaviors with effective and accessible support that adapts to their unique circumstances. Having secured a successful and oversubscribed Series A funding totaling €30m (ca.$36M) in October 2020 and currently preparing for Series B round of investment, we are continuing on a steady path to grow our global team. Read more about our story here.
Against the backdrop of decades of rising demand, mental health has never been more important. The Covid pandemic has led to a 4x increase in mental disorders around the world. With no increase in the supply of clinicians, tens of millions of people are stranded today without access to care. There has never been a more critical moment for the work that we’re leading at Koa Health. And this is where you come in.
Your New Role
As our Chief Financial Officer, you will be a crucial business partner to our CEO, the wider Executive team, our Board, and investors. You will jointly lead on the company strategy to drive shareholder value creation and be responsible for upholding the financial integrity of the business, as well as reaching commercial potential through astute financial and operational stewardship. This is a rare and exciting opportunity to make a genuine impact not only to Koa and the healthcare industry, but to the mental health of millions of people around the world.
At this early stage of our commercial journey, our new CFO will be instrumental in helping Koa transition from an early-stage to a growth-stage commercial enterprise; we have ambitious plans to transform mental healthcare. This requires a leader who problem-solves and takes actions at pace and thrives in the ambiguity inherent to a start-up environment.
When you meet our Koa team, you will note our team spirit, high energy, appreciation of our colleagues and passion for our mission; we’re hands on and deliver as a team and are looking for our CFO to embody our values and compliment our culture.
- Partner with the CEO to continue to execute a comprehensive, business-wide strategy to maximize total shareholder return and optimize business growth at acceptable risk.
- Effectively partner with the business and functional stakeholders to champion the operational and business performance agenda for the company.
- Provide strategically and commercially informed advice and insights to the CEO, Executive team, Board, and investors on the spectrum of business activity and decision making required to deliver on the strategic goals of the organization.
- Build a culture focused on total returns and operational excellence, with strong collaboration across the global business.
- Further strengthen Koa Health’s reputation and market position.
- Ensure the Koa finance function is ready to meet the needs of the business and able to support the company’s rapid growth trajectory.
- Attract, foster and develop a highly capable and high performing, diverse finance team with a business partnering, value-add mindset.
- Continue to improve statutory and internal performance metrics and reporting (including annual budget and plan, bi-annual results, the valuation process, forecasts, monthly reporting to the Board, etc.).
- Challenge the status quo, plan performance goals and execute through clearly defined KPIs and metrics.
- Drive a strong focus on internal controls, ethics and compliance.
- Consider the appropriate allocation of capital and assess the investments and financing requirements from a risk/reward perspective.
- Challenge the business plans and ongoing financial performance with the business and functional leaders, spotting trends early and interpreting information quickly to ensure that action is agreed and carried out effectively.
- Identify innovative and creative opportunities for cost savings, and work with the business to deliver these.
- Help lead the Series B capital raise together with the Koa CEO, Executive team, and Board.
- Business Acumen: A commercial business partner well versed in driving operational and business performance.
- Private Investor Experience: Experience operating as an Enterprise CFO in a business of comparable stage and scale to Koa Health, backed by institutional Venture or Private Equity investors.
- Building Finance Capability: Drive consistent innovation across finance to effectively support a high-growth business, ensuring the Finance Team is using financial information to identify opportunities to increase effectiveness of the organization.
- Change Management: They will be an agent of change/of performance transformation by building up strong processes and KPIs in order to give impactful insights.
- Fundraising and IPO: Proven experience with successful fundraising in a build-up company. Experience preparing a business for IPO and/or interfacing with capital markets would be valuable.
- Best-in-Class Training: Academic background in a finance-related field combined with experience in best-in-class organisations such as Audit firms, Strategy consultancies, large-cap financial institutions, or blue-chip corporations.
- Sector Experience: Prior experience in Technology/Tech-enabled growth companies. Exposure to subscription, SaaS, data intensive and analytical businesses.
- Comfortable in a multicultural environment which is spread over different countries and continents with a focus on collaboration and leading by example.
- Strong emotional intelligence topped with prime finance content is key.
- Relentless focus on maximizing performance.
- Sharp focus on improving the reliability of data-led decision-making.
- Ability to source intelligence through formal and informal systems and networks.
- Ability to resolve complex data to make decisions and brief colleagues on a wide range of subjects.
- Resilient, poised, and calm under pressure.
- Finely honed oral and written communication with an innate ability to “tell a story".
- Diplomacy in managing agendas and diversity across the team.
- Strong intuition and the know how to:
- When to intervene and when to let things run their course.
- What information is reliable and what needs to be challenged.
- How to respond to emerging, unforeseen issues.
- How to best keep the CEO and Exec focused on the top priorities.
Why Koa Health?
We are at the forefront of innovation in the MedTech arena, working on one of the hottest topics of today – behavioural health. By working with us, in whatever role, you get to make a true impact on the lives of others.
Aside from this, we provide all the necessary support and perks to make your life at work and outside of work fun and comfortable all year round, such as:
- A fantastic rewards package that includes: Food Allowance, Private Health Insurance, Pension Contribution, Life Insurance, Bi-annual Bonus Scheme, Uncapped Sales Incentive Plans and Share Options.
- As a business we are focused on supporting your wellbeing and therefore provide you with a Wellbeing Allowance and Wellbeing Leave, as well as a generous annual leave allocation to help manage both your mental and physical health as you see fit.
- True flexibility – we’re hiring your skills and experience, so ask you to use these in the most effective way you can and manage your work-life balance accordingly.
- Worldwide WeWork membership access for those who prefer a hybrid schedule; you will find our teams collaborating on our private rooftop terrace when visiting our Barcelona office.
- An international environment with a company culture focused on wellbeing and personal growth.
An Inclusive Workplace
At Koa Health, we facilitate a safe space where cultures, backgrounds, ideas and ways of solving problems can combine. This unique mix is a big part of our recipe for success when it comes to working towards our mission of mental health for all. We firmly believe that Diversity & Inclusion should be embedded in the fabric of our organization and we know true progress comes with long-term commitments and actions. We are building a space where our people feel respected for who they are and are rewarded based on the impact they make to the business.
Regardless of your personal identifiers, at Koa Health you can be yourself, and feel respected, accepted and supported. We promote an inclusive culture where people who think and act differently can discover ways to learn from each other.
Promoting diversity, inclusion, and equity must be a company-wide effort. As a young start-up, we are creating a safe space that fosters acceptance and invites differences as part of our first steps toward building a resilient and inclusive work environment.