About the team
Our team is responsible to execute a customer’s trip. That means, we have to find the right MOIA for them, manage the journey, and make sure they reach their destination on time. To achieve that we are set up as a cross-functional team which owns its part of the customer App and develops and operates a distributed back-end system. This responsibility makes us an essential part of MOIA’s business model, and it allows us to have a direct impact on the product and company.
What you will do
MOIA’s service is composed of many different states. Each vehicle and each trip has one. Together with us, you - as a Backend Software Engineer - will be responsible for managing these different states and making sure our vehicles pick up and deliver our customers on time. For that we work on a highly distributed system which is connected to our fleets and customers. To make trips happen, we are also going to work on an integration layer that is connected to many of MOIA’s specialized sub-systems and allow us to:
- Execute trips by finding the right vehicle for a customer
- Optimally distribute our fleet over a city to match predicted demand
- Manage vehicle maintenance
- and much more …
In our team you will have the chance to take on responsibility, work on projects spanning the organization, and have an impact on the company.
Day-to-day work will include application programming in Scala and TypeScript, while for some smaller parts Python will be helpful. You will additionally support setting up CI/CD pipelines for a great build and release process and cloud resources for reliable production systems.
What will help you to fulfil your role
We’re looking for an engineer with experience, ideally in the following areas. Don’t feel discouraged if you don’t meet all the enlisted skills. We embrace individual growth at MOIA.
- Experience in a JVM language, preferably Scala: Most of the services we develop are written in Scala so you should show a strong interest in this language.
- Interest in other languages and frameworks, ideally including TypeScript or Python.
- Live and breathe DevOps and believe in automated testing, infrastructure as code, continuous deployment, monitoring, and open communication.
- Experience with Kubernetes and/or AWS Lambda, as well as AWS managed services or a similar cloud platform.
- Experience building distributed systems.
- Hands-on experience with the Akka ecosystem (streams, cluster).
- Are keen to receive and give feedback in pairing and code review sessions.
- Communicate fluently in English.
We encourage you to apply even if your profile does not meet all the requirements for the role yet. We embrace individual growth at MOIA.
Our Benefits in a nutshell
- Competitive salary (including bonus)
- Flexible working hours and work arrangements
- Budget and monthly expense allowance for your home office setup
- Public transport ticket (fully covered) and discount on MOIA rides
- Subsidization of a fitness club membership or bike leasing
- Continuous learning days, job rotation, trainings and workshops, conferences, and language classes
- Mental health trainings, consultation, and company doctor
- 30 days of vacation
- Relocation support
- Dog-friendly offices (in our Hamburg location)
Be who you are!
We are a member of Charta der Vielfalt and are actively working on creating a workplace that promotes and values diversity in age, gender identity, race, sexual orientation, physical or cognitive ability, and ethnicity. At MOIA we embrace a culture, where people feel accepted, respected, valued, appreciated, and included.
We offer unconscious bias training regularly for all our employees. Also, we are working on making our hiring process as inclusive as possible, such as ensuring a diverse hiring panel. To reinforce an unbiased screening process, we kindly ask you not to include any photograph in your application.
Our Future Work model
Since we love to collaborate, it is clear to us that we don't want to become a fully remote company, but we also don't need to spend every day of the week in the office to do a great job.
Our current hybrid work approach focuses on adapting to different needs, including increased flexibility that works best for the teams and the individuals with as much self-determination as possible.
Who we are
At MOIA GmbH, our team of more than 250 employees develops the technical products for our on-demand ridepooling service in the form of an end-to-end integrated product, from hub, fleet, and driver management to passenger and B2B solutions. At the same time, we want to make the vision of an autonomously driving mobility service a reality and plan to bring the first autonomous MOIA vehicle to the streets by 2025.
At our offices in Berlin and Hamburg, international teams of developers, engineers, designers, and strategists work on a shared mission. As a tech company, more than half of our employees are developers. We pursue value-driven development based on our product values of comfort, reliability, safety, and privacy.
We aspire to be a leading company in the fields of rethinking mobility and improving urban transportation by making it more relaxed, more affordable and an entirely positive experience for everyone.
MOIA gets things moving. On a shared journey – towards an easier, smarter, and more meaningful future.