Who we are
Moniepoint is a financial technology company digitising Africa’s real economy by building a financial ecosystem for businesses, providing them with all the payment, banking, credit and business management tools they need to succeed.
What we do
Engineering at Moniepoint is an inspired, customer-focused community, dedicated to crafting solutions that redefine our industry. Our infrastructure runs on some of the cool tools that excite infrastructure engineers - Kubernetes, docker etc.
We also make business decisions based on the large stream of data we receive daily, so we work daily with big data, perform data analytics and build models to make sense of the noise and give our customers the best experience.
If this excites you, it excites us too and we would love to have you.
About the role
What you’ll get to do
- Doing anything and everything it takes, to ensure your team is executing at a rapid pace, shipping fast, and with a high quality.
- Scaling our back end services to handle millions of customers, to handle all aspects which come up when operating at this scale. Be it, figuring out how to authenticate users, keep the data secure, or to ensure the back-end services return success/failure responses in <.5 sec, for millions of customers.
- Deciding what structure of database do we want, and why, and more broadly guiding your engineers.Being a leader, and being able to handle the huge responsibility of ensuring the approach your team takes to build the next part of the product is the best one.
- Navigating through dependencies in a rapid pace environment
- Acting as an engineering manager. At least 60% of this role focuses on rolling up your sleeves and supporting your team.
- 40% of the role is about stakeholder management - you will work collaboratively with the senior leadership, and every department in the company, to ensure everything is taken care of for your product to go live.
- Holding technical deep dives, and architecting the next part we'll build (others call these grooming meetings).
- At the end of the day, you are driving development of the product, anticipating issues before they happen, and making sure velocity and quality are top of mind, because the team needs to get new
products out at a VERY FAST PACE, with quality always on top of mind.
- Work with data pipelines, algorithms, and automated systems.
To succeed in this role, we think you should have
- Substantial, real experience in back-end engineering, and in managing back end services, at scale, as a back-end engineer, architect, or in a similar role.
- You have prior experience working with a high-growth tech company.
- You have exposure to building and shipping products at scale.
- You have substantial experience in the fintech domain, be it payments, credit/lending, banking/savings, etc.
- Proven track record of managing all aspects of a successful product throughout its lifecycle, from ideation, through development, to launch, growth and maintenance
- Proven ability to assess and address technical risks
- Proven ability to facilitate the creation and maintenance of proper product documentation.
- Solid technical background with years of hands-on experience in software development.
- Strong problem-solving skills and the desire to roll up your sleeves to get the job done, and to be hands on, should be in your DNA.
- Skilled at working effectively with cross-functional teams in a matrix organization.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
What we can offer you
- Culture -We put our people first and prioritize the well-being of every team member. We’ve built a company where all opinions carry weight and where all voices are heard. We value and respect each other and always look out for one another. Above all, we are human.
- Learning - We have a learning and development-focused environment with an emphasis on knowledge sharing, training, and regular internal technical talks.
- Compensation - You’ll receive an attractive salary, pension, health insurance,, Employee Stock Options, annual bonus, plus other benefits.
What to expect in the hiring process
- A preliminary phone call with one of our recruiters
- A technical interview with a Product Lead
- A panel technical interview with our Technical Product Managers.
- A behavioural and technical interview with a member of the Executive team.
How to apply: please send us your CV or LinkedIn profile via our career website.
Moniepoint is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and candidates.