As a market-oriented expert in storage systems (not only lithium-ion batteries even if this technology will represent the main one in terms of focus), this person will work as part of Starlight’s international development team to support the development of energy storage projects.
This professional will be responsible for the analysis of energy storage projects and for providing technical and commercial optimization suggestions. Moreover, they will work closely with the development team of Starlight to understand the technical and market-related requirements of storage systems and translate them into financial models, market strategies and business case proposals. Additionally, the role will be responsible for assessing the potential for co-locating storage systems with renewable energy plants to maximize their value and revenue streams.
With reference to the storage systems and their potential co-location with renewable plants (solar, on-shore and off-shore wind) and the different geographies (so far Italy, UK, Greece, Romania and Canada) in which Starlight operates, this professional will be asked to provide support in the following areas:
- Business Development: technology studies, preliminary project evaluation, gathering information on the specific applicable regulatory framework, selection of external advisors, support in the negotiation of development services agreements and consultancy contracts.
- M&A Transactions: Starlight could be involved in the acquisition of projects rather than the sale of its own renewable energy assets at ready-to-build status. The Resource will provide support to the M&A team, interacting with internal and external counterparties in the financial and legal areas.
- Project Development: interaction with all parties involved, in particular with the consultants. This activity is closely related to the previous one and implies involvement and support in contractual and corporate aspects.
- Financial modelling and analysis:
- Develop financial models to evaluate the economic viability and profitability of stand-alone storage projects.
- Analyze key financial parameters, including capital expenditures, operating costs, revenue potential, and return on investment.
- Conduct sensitivity and scenario analysis to assess storage projects' financial risks and opportunities.
- Technical and commercial optimization of energy systems, considering factors such as energy duration, cost and revenue stack structure.
- Market analysis and strategy:
- Identify market opportunities and trends related to energy storage (i.e. ancillary services, capacity market or energy arbitrage).
- Conduct market research and competitive analysis to understand market dynamics, revenue opportunities and outlook.
- Develop market strategies to optimise revenue generation and maximize the value of storage systems in the energy market.
- Co-location assessment:
- Evaluate the potential for co-locating storage systems with renewable energy plants like solar or wind farms.
- Assess the synergies and benefits of integrating storage systems with renewable energy generation, including revenue stacking opportunities.
- Analyse the technical and financial feasibility of co-location projects and provide recommendations for implementation.
- Policy and regulatory analysis:
- Stay up-to-date with the regulatory frameworks, policies, and incentive programs relevant to energy storage and renewable energy.
- Analyse the impact of policies and regulations on the financial viability and market participation of storage projects.
- Provide insights and recommendations on policy advocacy and engagement to create a favourable market environment for storage systems.
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
To be successful in this role, the ideal candidate will have to:
- Share our passion and mission to create a more sustainable future by leading the transition to clean energy.
- Be a team player.
- Be a loyal person and have a positive attitude.
- Have the flexibility to travel across Europe and overseas.
- Have the legal right to work in the required location for the duration of the assignment.
- Share our values of being a leader, building trust, being responsible, being innovative, and bringing your alpha.
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's degree in finance, economics, business, engineering or a related field (Master's degree preferred).
- Proven experience in financial modelling (DCF modelling) and analysis, preferably in the renewable energy or energy storage sector.
- Strong understanding of energy market dynamics, electricity pricing structures, and grid services.
- Knowledge of energy storage technologies and their integration with renewable energy systems.
- Excellent analytical skills and proficiency in financial modelling software and Microsoft Excel. Valuable programming experience (VBA, python, R).
- Strong communication and presentation skills to effectively convey financial analysis and recommendations.
- Ability to work collaboratively in cross-functional teams and interact with technical experts.
- Understanding of regulatory frameworks and policies related to energy storage and renewable energy.
- Fluent in English and possibly one of the following languages: Italian, Spanish, German and French.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Exciting opportunity to join a growing team
- Employment contract
- Salary aligned to the market
- Annual discretionary bonus
- International scope – we operate in almost 10 different countries
- Hybrid working – we will need you to be in the assigned office at least 2-3 days a week, but you will normally be able to work remotely for the remainder of the time.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested in this opportunity, please follow the link to apply or send your application to email@example.com. If you have been shortlisted for the next stage, we will be in contact within 14 days.
By selecting “Apply” or sending us your CV, you indicate you have read and acknowledged NextEnergy Group’s Candidate Privacy Notice.
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
Our approach to diversity and inclusion is a natural extension of our values. Our entrepreneurial culture inspires us to try new things, be open to different viewpoints and be bold. Our Group is committed to cultivating and preserving a culture of connectedness that values difference and gives space for individual expression. The collective sum of our individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, innovation, self-expression, and talent and hard work form the bedrock of who we are and who we aspire to be.
We are committed to equal employment and advancement opportunity irrespective of race, color, ancestry, social background, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability and gender identity.