OGT is a leading global provider of clinical and diagnostic genomic solutions. We believe in creating products and partnerships that enable clinicians to deliver personlaised healthcare to patients and that empower clinical researchers to develop the next generation of precision medicines.
We are looking for a Placement Student to join our R&D Computational Biology Team who are responsible for supporting OGTs R&D efforts across a wide range of activities. This twelve-month placement is aimed at students who are doing sandwich courses with a year in industry placement. It is expected to start during August 2024.
Reporting to our Director of Computational Biology, you will play an integral role in either the Software Development or the Data Analysis team depending on the requirements of the Computational Biology team at the time. In either regard, these groups work closely together, and you will be involved in projects across all scientific areas but will begin with a focus on general coding skills and Next Generation Sequencing technology. Subsequently, you will contribute to OGTs class leading analysis software. As well as supporting internal R&D projects.
This placement will be suited to somebody who has or is keen to develop programming and data analysis skills, learn new techniques and gain experience in a growing biotechnology company with an exciting future. An interest in the use of applying numerical methods to life sciences is important for this role.
You will benefit from working with clinical and academic scientists, and gain an understanding of the data processing aspects of the latest experimental technologies being applied in biological and clinical research and practice.
Your duties will include:
- Developing code within an Agile environment.
- Handling Next Generation Sequencing data
- Running analyses to support internal R&D projects.
You will be:
- Currently completing or have completed your second year at University on a course with an industrial placement
- Studying towards either a Computer Science degree with an interest in Biology or a Biological degree with an interest in Computer Science
- A team player who is able to work well with others
- Motivated and enthusiastic with good attention to detail
- Organised with a methodological approach to working and able to manage your daily/weekly workload to meet strict deadlines.
Closing date for applications is midday on 29 February 2024.
Application is via CV & a one-page covering letter outlining your suitability for the role, salary expectations and notice period
Please note that we will need to establish your right to work during the recruitment process.