About Outlier Ventures
Outlier Ventures is the largest Web 3 accelerator in the world. Founded in 2014, it works with startups at various stages of their lifecycle from pre-seed / seed (via Base Camp) to later stage about to launch (or live) token networks specialising in a New Data Economy, NFTs, and DeFi bringing together a network of 1,000 's of the world's leading web 3 founders, protocols, VCs to mentor, and invest.
About the role
We are looking for a Head of Investments to manage the tip of the spear for Outlier, in charge of recruiting and signing the best teams in Web3 to join one of Outlier’s accelerator programs with Base Camp or Ascent. You will play a pivotal role in the leading web3 accelerator’s deal flow pipeline, engaging in early stage ventures obtaining broad based exposure to founders, technologies and partners.
Leading the Investment team, you will build on the past 8 years of dealmaking in which Outlier has established itself as a category leader working closely with Program Managers as well as investment staff and subject matter experts (Product and Engineering, Fundraising, Token Economies, NFT Strategy teams) to scale the investment team, optimize the investment process as well as develop investment thesis in conjunction with senior management.
Your Key Responsibilities:
- Lead and manage comprehensive diligence on accelerator applicants, including operational and relevant financial diligence in order to obtain a robust view of the company’s people, products, technologies, go-to-market plan, competitive position, addressable market and other key drivers relevant to making an investment decision.
- Lead development of thesis for each cohort program.
- Manage and oversee overall process and logistics as it relates to recruiting activities including preparation of investment materials, running of investments committees as well as contract negotiation and signing of teams.
- Manage overall relationships and interactions with prospective founders ensuring that candidates have a clear understanding of Outlier’s unique value proposition and experience seamless interactions and communication throughout the full recruitment cycle.
- Have a sharp investment point of view on categories and companies justifying investments in companies to deliver outsized returns, having a clear understanding for disruptive market technology trends, enabling the development of market maps and targeted outreach to potential investment opportunities.
- Lead the development of a best in class investment team that is able to attract and close the top founders in Web3
- Oversee team’s market research activities, ensuring the team develops respective core competencies across sectors within Web3 (DeFi, gaming, infrastructure, NFTs, etc.)
We are looking for someone who:
- Has 8+ years of experience in early, fast-paced environments within technology, startups, entrepreneurship and venture capital with 3+ years specifically in Web3.
- Expertise in diligence, term sheets, negotiations and supporting/making investment recommendations
- Desire to be part of and manage a fast-growing team with the creativity to think out-of-the-box about new opportunities and other ways to develop and grow our business. Must be able to work cross-functionally and collaboratively with our early-stage partners, with an ability to self-manage in an unstructured environment
- Strong investor mental model and demonstrative results of your investment decisions, good and bad
- Comfortable with a minimal amount of direction and high expectations
- Ability to command a room, public speaking and community development is key
- A firm understanding and facility with Web3, crypto, and blockchain concepts and ecosystems
- Understand the value of scalable systems and processes
- Desire and proven ability to learn new domains and technologies quickly
- Comfortable building conviction based on both qualitative and quantitative data points
- Highly motivated, with the ability to deal with the routine tasks as well as the more interesting aspects of the role
- Problem solver
- Super interpersonal skills
Package is subject to relevant experience. It will bias towards performance related bonuses, including the opportunity to invest directly into token projects on the same terms as the Outlier Ventures partnership
What we can offer you*
- Exposure to some of the most exciting businesses in the web 3.0 and blockchain space.
- The ability to work with a broad variety of stakeholders around the world.
- Full autonomy in your role and the opportunity to explore any areas of interest should it meet the vision of the business.
- Private medical insurance.
- Discretionary bonus scheme.
- 25 days holiday per year (plus bank holidays)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Opportunity to invest directly in projects
*availability subject to specific circumstances