Working to solve our climate crisis is the most important mission of our time, and the most exciting problem to be working on. Overstory’s mission is to help solve our climate crisis by providing real-time intelligence about the planet’s vegetation. In our first step toward this mission, we are applying machine learning to satellite imagery to track forests and vegetation, helping to reduce the risk of wildfires and power outages.
We have already proven our business model and we’re all united behind our ambitious vision to scale up this model to help humanity and the planet. We recently raised a round of funding, led by Convective Capital. Other investors include: B Capital Group, Moxxie Ventures, Capital T, Pale Blue Dot and many other climate-focussed investors.
If you want to have a real impact and solve some of the world's most complex challenges with advanced technology, come work with our talented and passionate team. Overstory is based in Amsterdam but we are a remote-first company, with people living all over the U.S. and Europe.
We’re looking for an arborist to work closely with our Senior Arborist, product and technical team and customer success to ensure we deliver great quality to our customers.
What you’ll do
- Identify sick trees on satellite images
- Identify tree species on satellite images
- Quality control the work of our team (ex. correct tree species, hazard trees, tree height, vegetation encroachment, and overhang, etc.)
- Longer term: Occasional validation of results in the field and field trips together with our customers
- Experience as an arborist, ideally ISA Certified Arborist.
- You’ve worked with GIS tools like QGIS and ArcGIS and are comfortable with them.
- Experience working with satellite images.
- You have a strong attention to detail.
- Exceptional verbal, written and visual communication skills in a fast-paced environment.
- You’re a team player and seek out feedback.
- Initially 20 hours per week
- For a period of 8 weeks to start with
- After this we explore a longer term engagement from both sides
What you get
- To be part of truly mission-driven work that reduces wildfires, protects earth’s natural resources and helps solve our climate crisis.
- Flexible working environment with a lot of autonomy. We build our work days around our lives, not the other way around.
- Other benefits like a remote working budget, an educational budget and time to develop new skills.
- To be surrounded by an excellent, vibrant, smart team who have each other's back and believe in a culture of openness, tolerance and respect.
- Equity and a competitive salary.
About our team
We are a group of 38 people from all over the world. Eleven nationalities are represented in our team. We work remotely from eight different countries and occasionally (optionally!) meet up for in-person collaboration.
Diversity & Inclusion
We place enormous value on diversity and inclusion with regards to gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, age, education, disability, disciplines and skillsets. We believe that the best ideas emerge when people with different perspectives and approaches work together on a problem.
We’re always looking to diversify our team further, but we’re proud of the fact that four out of the eight people on our leadership team are female or non-white males, 40% of the overall team are female and 25% of the team are people of color. Our team speaks ten languages: English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Luxembourgish, Indonesian and Cantonese.