Working to solve our climate crisis is the most important mission of our time, and the most exciting problem to be working on. Overstory’s mission is to help solve our climate crisis by providing real-time intelligence about the planet’s vegetation. In our first step toward this mission, we are applying machine learning to satellite imagery to track forests and vegetation, helping to reduce the risk of wildfires and power outages.
We have already proven our business model and we’re all united behind our ambitious vision to scale up this model to help humanity and the planet. We recently raised a round of funding, led by Convective Capital. Other investors include: B Capital Group, Moxxie Ventures, Capital T, Pale Blue Dot and many other climate-focussed investors.
If you want to have a real impact and solve some of the world's most complex challenges with advanced technology, come work with our talented and passionate team. Overstory is based in Amsterdam but we are a remote-first company, with people living all over the U.S. and Europe.
About this role
As an Events Coordinator at Overstory, you will be responsible for managing the logistics to help our team appear, exhibit, and speak at more than two dozen trade shows, meetings, and exhibitions annually. Your focus will be creating climate-friendly, sustainable booth spaces and organizing materials that help us connect with our target audience: decision makers at electric utilities. You will be an integral part of the marketing team, coordinating with external vendors and venues to ensure seamless shipping, storage, and Overstory team travel around all of our events. You’ll be responsible for managing the events budget and timelines, and you’ll bring a creative, flexible approach to the role to help us optimize our processes and execute on ideas quickly. Your role as events coordinator will ultimately help us grow Overstory’s reputation as the best-in-class global vegetation intelligence product and the most innovative, reliable, friendly and curious team.
You’ll spend most of your time working autonomously, with external partners and vendors, or within a small team. You’ll build everything from documentation to relationships to physical booths, seeking opportunities to streamline our processes from end to end. You’ll work closely with the marketing, sales, and customer success teams to discover new ways we can use our presence at in-person events to create brand awareness, grow our sales pipeline, and build stronger relationships with existing customers. You’ll collaborate with designers and vendors to create unique, welcoming booth spaces and trade show experiences for our audience.
Because our climate mission is central to everything we do at Overstory, you’ll be tasked with finding sustainable, efficient ways to create unique event experiences. Part of your job will include tracking our carbon footprint and the climate impact of our event presence, as well as working on new ideas to reduce our impact while optimizing for our business needs.
On a typical day, you might be: booking booth spaces at a trade show, organizing travel for the business team, coordinating shipping and material printing, researching venues for a customer event, reviewing expenses and planning our events budget, meeting with vendors, or you might be in person at an event, setting up a booth and chatting with the customers who come by to say hello.
We’ll expect you to take ownership and initiative in your own work, bringing creativity, enthusiasm, and grit to the table. Whether you’re working with our team or external vendors, you’ll lead with kindness and curiosity to help us build a reputation as the vegetation intelligence provider that everyone wants to partner with.
You have experience working in events or hospitality, managing many different deadlines and competing priorities simultaneously. You’re comfortable negotiating contracts with vendors and handling logistics of shipping and storage. You’re good at reading the fine print and optimizing the team’s time and budget for greatest impact.
You’ve worked in trade shows and exhibitions before, and you have experience collaborating with designers and vendors to execute on physical booth spaces. You enjoy the challenge of making a space or event feel unique, warm, and inviting, and you’re good at exploring innovative ways to stand out.
You’re flexible and you understand that your priorities will shift with the business needs. Some days you may be designing a trade show booth or executing on large contracts—other days you’ll be packing the booth onto a shipping palette. This role will require up to 20% travel, typically within North America, but on occasion in Europe or South America.
Your written and verbal English communications skills are excellent, and you’re a keen negotiator. You have empathy and understanding of different roles and business priorities, including for companies outside your sector. You have experience building community among people from different backgrounds, and you enjoy developing relationships with diverse partners and customers around the world.
You manage your own time effectively, across multiple projects and occasionally under pressure, able to prioritize short- and long-term activities with a strategic approach.
You have strong attention to detail with top-notch organization skills, keeping clear documentation and budgeting for everything you do.
You are flexible and ready and able to learn new things, and able to quickly adapt to new working practices and technologies.
- You are creative and curious
- You enjoy using events and experiences to build community
- You have incredible attention to detail and negotiation skills
- You have an eye for quality, your work is thorough, and you pay attention to both the small details and the larger picture
- You enjoy both strategy and execution, and you like to create and improve processes to make the business run smoother
- Ideally, you’re in a time zone +/- 1 hour from US Central Time.
- Worked in a startup environment, ideally for 2+ years, or have a similar experience of dynamic, innovative work
- Experience working in an uncertain environment where you’re coordinating with multiple stakeholders, a limited budget, and developing many processes for the first time.
- 3 years of experience working with B2B organizations in an events or trade show capacity, ideally having planned, ordered, and built trade show exhibits during that time.
- A knack for soliciting feedback and making autonomous decisions based on a clear understanding of the business goals.
- An affinity for finding practical solutions to difficult problems, and you’re willing to explore unconventional ideas to help us stand out.
- A capacity to navigate tough prioritization, and you’ll communicate fine details clearly and concisely with relevant team members.
- Background in B2B SaaS companies, where executives are your target audience
- Experience working with a remote team across different time zones
- Hospitality or event planning background
What you get
- To be part of truly mission-driven work that reduces wildfires, protects earth’s natural resources and helps solve our climate crisis.
- Flexible working environment with a lot of autonomy. We build our work days around our lives, not the other way around.
- Other benefits like a remote working budget, an educational budget and time to develop new skills.
- To be surrounded by an excellent, vibrant, smart team who have each other's back and believe in a culture of openness, tolerance and respect.
- Equity and a competitive salary.
About our team
We are a group of 38 people from all over the world. Eleven nationalities are represented in our team. We work remotely from eight different countries and occasionally (optionally!) meet up for in-person collaboration.
Diversity & Inclusion
We place enormous value on diversity and inclusion with regards to gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, age, education, disability, disciplines and skillsets. We believe that the best ideas emerge when people with different perspectives and approaches work together on a problem.
We’re always looking to diversify our team further, but we’re proud of the fact that four out of the eight people on our leadership team are female or non-white males, 40% of the overall team are female and 25% of the team are people of color. Our team speaks ten languages: English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Luxembourgish, Indonesian and Cantonese.