Our mission is to change the way the world works by democratising AI for every business, and to build a great company that everyone loves being a part of. These two goals haven’t changed since the days when Peak was little more than an idea forming in the heads of our founders Richard, Atul and Dave.
Peak is an AI company that provides the platform, application and services to help businesses harness the potential of AI to grow revenues, increase profits and efficiencies.
It’s an incredibly exciting time here at Peak. Off the back of our $75m Series C funding round in late 2021, led by SoftBank, we're scaling our offering, and putting AI in the hands of even more customers.
We have ambitious plans for the future and that means we're looking to welcome new people to our team. At Peak, culture and success come hand in hand – so creating and protecting a company culture that’s true to our values remains a fundamental aspect of our mission.
Purpose of the Role
To lead a team of Data Scientists, providing support and guidance to the team, and providing strategic Data Science expertise.
You’ll work within the Professional Services team as a Data Science Team Leader, managing a team of Data Scientists, and providing expertise to the projects they are working on. As well as supporting your team, you will work closely with customers & other teams at Peak to define the theoretical and technical approach to projects to maximise the value of our solutions for our customers. The role provides you with the opportunity to drive the strategy of the Data Science team and turn this into a reality within your team by improving processes and best practices. You must have a track record of delivering high quality Data Science projects, a passion for developing and supporting a team to perform at its very best, and a strategic mindset to further improve the Data Science team going forwards.
- Line management responsibility for a team of Data Scientists (the role is to lead the team of DS in India). Act as a mentor for the team, sharing expertise to support their development, and ensure all customers receive high quality Data Science work.
- Lead Professional Services delivery teams (with Data Scientists and and Adoption Managers) to define the theoretical and technical approach to projects with the goal of maximising value for our customers.
- Ensure Data Science outputs within your team meet a high standard; this includes modelling approaches, robustness of solutions and communication with customers (e.g. presentations).
- Identify, mitigate and escalate risks with customer projects when required & proactively work with others to resolve these issues
- Support Sales to identify opportunities in Data Science for our prospects, using your expertise from the industry verticals and/or solution domains of projects you oversee.
- Provide input to the Product and Engineering teams to support the build of our platform and generalisation of our solutions.
- Prioritise and allocate resources within your team of Data Scientists to ensure projects are delivered on time & work with other Team Leaders to resolve resource requests across the team.
- Provide input into process and best practice improvements for the Data Science team & implement and encourage adoption of best practices within your team.
- Help to build the Data Science team, finding exceptional talent and recruiting them to Peak.
- Lead or contribute to strategic initiatives within the Data Science team that will enable the team to achieve our key results.
- Actively contribute towards the Peak strategy, and ensure all team members are aware of, and working towards achieving the strategy.
- Represent Peak at appropriate events, sharing Data Science expertise and the value of the Peak’s Data Science offering.
We are looking for teammates who are:
- Open - Happy to discuss ideas, contribute to others’ work, take on board feedback, work well in a tight-knit and supportive team and be comfortable with change. Identifies areas Data Science skills can be applied to assist other teams, and is willing to help. Communicates Data Science and other ideas clearly and effectively to internal and external stakeholders.
- Driven - Determined to help Peak succeed as a fast growing scale up technology company, by driving improvements in Data Science work. Can work under own initiative.
- Curious - Always working to better understand our customers, their world, and their challenges, and how we can better help them (and communicate that well). Keen to develop your knowledge of different businesses, what solutions are useful to them, and how to communicate with different types of stakeholders.
- Smart - Always willing to be able to back up opinions with solid reasoning, research and data. Can make our customers feel like we know their business through their data better than they do themselves. Expert in Data Science methods used to solve projects within your team and can confidently adapt and innovate with these approaches to support Data Scientists to solve new problems.
- Responsible - Takes ownership of a team, and responsibility for the tasks assigned to them. Supports their team, and wider Peak.
2 of the following points are essential:
- A passion for and experience in mentoring/leading/supporting other members in a team.
- Experience in planning data science projects from initial scoping to deployment, preferably in a commercial setting.
- Experience working in a data, analytics, or strategic role in the retail, manufacturing, or CPG industries
As well as:
- Prior experience in some of - statistical modelling, machine learning, data mining, unstructured data analytics, natural language processing.
- Programming skills/concepts and the ability to pick up new technology with ease.
- Prior experience in R, Python, SQL and/or other statistical tools/languages are a plus.
- The ability to understand and present findings to a non-technical audience.
- Prior experience in communicating and collaborating with external stakeholders.
- Competitive compensation package.
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 30 with service, plus flexible bank holidays.
- Share options for everyone, when we win, we all win.
- Enhanced health insurance plans for you, your spouse and children.
- State of the art equipment (Apple Mac) to work from
- Family leave benefits, including a world class maternity pay package.
- Provident fund.
- Opportunity to work from anywhere in the world for 2 weeks of the year, after one year’s service.
- Opportunity to spend one day volunteering.
- Headspace and Spill app subscriptions to support your mental health and wellbeing.
- Subsidised gym membership.
- Online exercise and embodiment classes.
- Regular company and team days along with social activities.
- Travel to Peak’s clubhouses around the world.
- Opportunity for professional development and certifications.
- In early 2023, we moved to an organised hybrid model that allows us to get together and collaborate in person but also offers flexibility. We promote flexible working hours with our team working 3 days onsite in our clubhouses with an option of 2 days remote (subject to reasonable adjustments).
Our interview process
- Intro call - Initial intro to Peak with one of our Talent Managers, Priyavrat Singh Rathore
- Team meeting - Video Interview with two Data Scientists in the team to explore values and find out more about your technical background.
- Skills Session - You will be set a task and asked to present your work to the team followed by a discussion and questions.
- Meet leadership - Get the lowdown on Peak, our future and your career with a final chat with someone in our leadership team.
Diversity, Equity & inclusion
We’re here to change the way the world works and build an amazing company that everyone loves being part of. We know diverse perspectives and experiences result in better solutions, which is why we want all of our Peakers to bring their authentic selves to work.
We’ve been striving to build a diverse and inclusive team from the outset. It’s a continuous journey, and there’s more we can do – but we’re proud of what we’ve achieved so far, which is ahead of the tech industry standard.
We’ve set targets in relation to gender and ethnicity, for now, but we know there’s more to diversity than just these two areas. We’re passionate about creating an inclusive environment for those of all ages, religions, sexual orientations, socio-economic status and for those with disabilities.
We are proud to be a Disability Confident Committed employer – a UK Government certification for organisations actively taking steps to attract, recruit and retain persons with disabilities. If you need any reasonable adjustments as part of the recruitment process, please let us know.
Founded in Manchester in 2015 by Richard Potter, David Leitch and Atul Sharma, Peak is on a mission to change the way the world works by democratising AI for every business.
Peak’s AI platform is used by global industry leaders including Nike, Molson Coors, PepsiCo and Sika. The platform optimises inventories, pricing, and customer personalisation for businesses of all sizes and is deployed in just weeks. Featuring a library of pre-built AI applications that rapidly create real value across a range of business functions.
In August 2021, Peak announced a $75m Series C funding round led by SoftBank’s Vision Fund II. The same year, it received a Best Companies 3-star accreditation, which recognises extraordinary levels of employee engagement, and was ranked by The Sunday Times as one of the Best 100 Companies to Work For in 2020 and again by Best Companies in 2021 and 2022. Peak was also recognised as one of Fast Company’s Best Workplaces for Innovators in 2022.