PrimaryBid is an award-winning FCA-regulated digital platform connecting individual investors with publicly listed companies raising capital. PrimaryBid has completed over 130 transactions including for high-profile FTSE 100 and FTSE 250 companies in the U.K., most recently running the Community and Customer offer components for the IPOs of Deliveroo, Parsley Box, PensionBee, and Cellular Goods with its new digital IPO product.
PrimaryBid completed a $50m Series-B fundraising from leading global investors in October 2020 and is expanding internationally. PrimaryBid has commercial agreements in place with London Stock Exchange and Euronext, the leading pan-European stock exchange in the Eurozone with presence in over nine geographies.
PrimaryBid is the platinum partner for UK Fintech Week 2021, and was previously part of Tech Nation’s FinTech growth programme (delivered as part of HM Treasury’s Fintech strategy) and graduated from the prestigious Accenture FinTech Innovation Lab accelerator at the top of the 2018 cohort.
A little about the team who you will be working with
We are looking to hire a Principal Software Engineer to be a key member of the software development team as we continue to expand. This individual will take responsibility for software development cycle for the our PrimaryBid App. It is a really closely knit team with a mission to provide high quality software solution that will directly contribute to the mission of PrimaryBid i.e. to provide a fair, inclusive and transparent process to the retail investors to the public market.
About the role
- Experience is key in this role. You will be a senior member of the team, guiding others as we build a world class platform. You will have many years of experience behind you and be technically capable of building full solutions spanning front end, back end, DevOps or whatever else is needed.
- You are a team player. Your ideas are important, but assimilating those into the team and platform are even more so. You see your work as part of the team’s overall plan, and within that you’re happy driving your own projects or supporting team members with theirs. You want to give your best and get the best out of people.
- We are a start up. You need to be comfortable with that. We work hard. We adapt to the markets arounds us while shaping their future. We are changing finance with technology. The work you do will be highly visible inside the company and almost certainly externally. There is a very short feedback loop and while extremely rewarding it is challenging. Everyone will want you to succeed.
- We have production systems and you will share the responsibility of keeping them stable. This is your system. You take pride in it. You will constantly be looking at ways to improve anything within engineering and outside to improve us.
- Attention to detail. We are a financial technology company. Things have to work. You value getting things right and go above and beyond to make sure they do. Challenge the requirements, assess the impact beyond your immediate responsibility, make sure we have the right level of repeatable tests. Automate. Monitor. Share.
- Be comfortable working in a highly collaborative environment where you will challenge and be challenged. You will be expected to present your proposals via collaborative documents and engage in healthy discussion around it. Where decisions are far reaching you are expected to find the right balance between stability and innovation. You will have a level of autonomy but you need to consider how those choices you make affect the overall team and platform.
- Technology is a passion of yours. You are constantly learning and improving. Bringing forward new ideas and technology for consideration.
- You get stuff done.
You will be successful in the role if you
- If you’ve worked in finance or FinTech then great but if not we’re happy for you to learn. It’s pretty interesting changing the finance world.
- If you have experience working in a high-growth scale-up environment this would be super useful. We are growing fast and learning how to do that effectively everyday
- Deploy - mainly container based using EKS on AWS but with some EC2 and some spreadsheets. Kubernetes experience would be nice.
- Local development environments are a mix of Docker Compose and KIND with a move towards the latter - if you have experience making engineers more efficient then you will be loved. Tilt.
- We have a mix of React and Vue. The UI library isn’t imposed - we’re learning and adapting. Next, Nuxt etc.
- Microservices all the way but like everyone else we’re discovering how best to do that (and not) all the time.
- We’re mainly NodeJS but I wouldn’t be surprised to see some change in this space in the medium term. We will definitely be doing more Python as we grow the data platform.
- We’re using a mix of MongoDB and MySQL in the main platform. Internally we’re exploring other options, particularly in the data platform space.
- The mobile app currently runs on React Native/MOBX with native where needed.
- You’ll be given a choice of Mac or Linux box
- We’re interested in event driven architectures and learning how to leverage that. Experience in this area would be valuable.
- We’re building for scale at a world level for both load and geo. If you’ve been there it will be really useful.
- Other tooling includes Sentry, JIRA, Confluence, Bitbucket (-> GitLab), HubSpot, Mailchimp/Mandrill
- Technical security knowledge would well received
A day in the life of a member in the Technology Team
I will cover all areas of the codebase across different teams. Having the flexibility to work across the stack allows me to come into any project. From a day to day basis, I will take Jira tickets and work through to help deliver projects. Alongside this I will review PRs/MRs to ensure standards are met across the codebase. I will mentor junior developers to improve their skills and come up to speed on more advanced technologies/concepts. Roughly once a month, I have on-call duties which means to be available to help fix and support any production issues that have occurred - Numman Ali, Fullstack Developer
Pre-screening Questions - Once you’ve applied for the role, we will ask you to complete a set of 3 pre-screening questions to help us assess your initial suitability for the role.
Technical Interview - Once you’ve been shortlisted, we will invited you for a technical interview that will be with 2 senior members of the technology team.
This interview is as much an opportunity for you to understand more about the role and the plans for the business as much as us digging deeper into your experience.
Technical Task - If you are at successful at the technical interview stage, we invite yo to complete our bespoke technical task, giving you a deadline of 4 days to complete it. We try our best to send it to you on a Friday, giving you the weekend to work on it.
Final Interview - If all goes well at the technical interview, we invite you to meet our CTO, Aaron Robinson. Aaron loves to be challenged, so please come prepared with lots of interesting questions!
What we offer you in return
- Play a key role in the expansion of a highly-funded FinTech
- Significant potential to progress your role as we are expanding rapidly
- An empowering, team-oriented, ego free environment
- Flexible hours and remote working options
- A bunch of wellbeing initiatives that will be accessible to all new joiners from Day 1
- Opportunity to contribute to employee networks
- Competitive salary
- 25 days annual leave plus your birthday off (as long as you bring cake!)
- Private BUPA Healthcare and Babylon Digital GP
- Cycle to work scheme
- Equipment of choice - Windows or Apple device
- Unique office space in the heart of Mayfair