PrimaryBid is an award-winning FCA-regulated digital platform connecting individual investors with publicly listed companies raising capital. PrimaryBid has completed over 130 transactions including for high-profile FTSE 100 and FTSE 250 companies in the U.K., most recently running the Community and Customer offer components for the IPOs of Deliveroo, Parsley Box, PensionBee, and Cellular Goods with its new digital IPO product.
PrimaryBid completed a $50m Series-B fundraising from leading global investors in October 2020 and is expanding internationally. PrimaryBid has commercial agreements in place with London Stock Exchange and Euronext, the leading pan-European stock exchange in the Eurozone with presence in over nine geographies.
PrimaryBid is the platinum partner for UK Fintech Week 2021, and was previously part of Tech Nation’s FinTech growth programme (delivered as part of HM Treasury’s Fintech strategy) and graduated from the prestigious Accenture FinTech Innovation Lab accelerator at the top of the 2018 cohort.
DevOps function at PrimaryBid is a small, close-knit team of Linux sysadmins, Cloud practitioners, daily scripters, and general problem solvers.
We collaborate and exchange ideas within the team, as well as with the broader forums of Developers, QA, Business, Operations, within PrimaryBid.
We enjoy a fairly flat company structure, where best ideas win.
About the Role
- Experience is key. You are a capable and experienced DevOps, SRE, communicator (internal and external), working closely with the CTO, the Head of DevOps, other DevOps team members, Developers, QA.
- You are able to switch contexts often and quickly between deeply hands-on DevOps/SRE delivery, and production troubleshooting or firefighting.
- You are a team player. Your ideas are important, but assimilating those into the team and platform are even more so.
- We are a start up. We work hard. We adapt to the markets arounds us while shaping their future. We are changing finance with technology. There is a very short feedback loop and while extremely rewarding, it is challenging. Everyone will want you to succeed.
- You will share the responsibility of keeping production systems stable. This is your system. You take pride in it. You will constantly be looking at ways to improve anything within engineering and outside of it.
- Attention to detail. We are a financial technology company. Things have to work. You value getting things right and go above and beyond to make sure they do. Challenge the requirements, assess the impact beyond your immediate responsibility, make sure we have the right level of repeatable tests. Automate. Monitor. Share.
- You are comfortable working in a highly collaborative environment where you will challenge and be challenged. You will be expected to present your proposals via collaborative documents and engage in healthy discussion around it.
- Technology is a passion of yours. You are constantly learning and improving. Bringing forward new ideas and technology for consideration.
- Fully remote. This role offers fully remote working, with no need to attend the office on a regular basis.
- You get stuff done.
- AWS (multi-account, EKS, ECR, S3, RDS, ALB, ASG, IAM, Lambda, CloudWatch, CloudTrail, Secrets Management).
- Docker, Kubernetes (EKS), Helm.
- Linux system administration and shell scripting (other languages would be a bonus), and maintaining cross-platform utility scripts (Mac + Linux).
- DB administration and optimisation (Mongo, MySQL, or similar).
- Cloudflare (prior experience optional).
- Thorough understanding of, and being able to script around and process JSON and YAML data, and integrate with APIs for purposes of infrastructure delivery and automation.
- Understanding of access, authentication, authorization concepts and infrastructure.
- Understanding of networks and network security.
Nice to Have
- Prior FinTech or technology business experience.
- Prior high-growth scale-up experience.
We are only accepting applications for candidates who are based in the UK and those do not require sponsorship to work in the UK, now or in the future.
A Day in the Life of a DevOps Engineer at PrimaryBid
My day is split between delivering new features and changes to existing PrimaryBid's infrastructure, which is hosted on AWS, and enabling and assisting our developers. This includes tasks like deploying applications to our Kubernetes clusters, creating resources using Terraform, and writing scripts to help developers with local workflows. I enjoy the large degree of technical freedom I have. This means I am usually given a broad requirement, and I'm free to decide how to achieve the desired outcome. In DevOps we have a large degree of responsibility, which means the work we do is especially satisfying. Overall it's a very rewarding job for someone interested in the technical work - Alfie Whelan, DevOps Engineer.
- Technical Assessment - If your CV is accepted, we will schedule a written technical assessment, comprising 9 tasks/questions, which we expect you to return answers to within 3 days from receiving it.
- Technical Interview - If your Technical Assessment answers are accepted, we will schedule a technical interview, with questions around your assessment solutions, as well as broader tech chat. This is also an opportunity to dig deeper into our business and team organisation, and for us to get to know more about your experience.
- Final Interview - If all goes well at the technical interview, we invite you to meet our CTO, Aaron Robinson. Aaron loves to be challenged, so please come prepared with lots of interesting questions!
What we offer you in return
- Play a key role in the expansion of a highly-funded FinTech
- Significant potential to progress your role as we are expanding rapidly
- An empowering, team-oriented, ego free environment
- Flexible hours and remote working options
- A bunch of wellbeing initiatives that will be accessible to all new joiners from Day 1
- Opportunity to contribute to employee networks
- Competitive salary
- 25 days annual leave plus your birthday off (as long as you bring cake!)
- Private BUPA Healthcare and Babylon Digital GP
- Cycle to work scheme
- Equipment of choice - Windows or Apple device
- Unique office space in the heart of Mayfair