PrimaryBid is an award-winning FCA-regulated digital platform connecting individual investors with publicly listed companies raising capital. PrimaryBid has completed over 130 transactions including for high-profile FTSE 100 and FTSE 250 companies in the U.K., most recently running the Community and Customer offer components for the IPOs of Deliveroo, Parsley Box, PensionBee, and Cellular Goods with its new digital IPO product.
PrimaryBid completed a $50m Series-B fundraising from leading global investors in October 2020 and is expanding internationally. PrimaryBid has commercial agreements in place with London Stock Exchange and Euronext, the leading pan-European stock exchange in the Eurozone with presence in over nine geographies.
PrimaryBid is the platinum partner for UK Fintech Week 2021, and was previously part of Tech Nation’s FinTech growth programme (delivered as part of HM Treasury’s Fintech strategy) and graduated from the prestigious Accenture FinTech Innovation Lab accelerator at the top of the 2018 cohort.
A little about the team who you will be working with
This individual will take contributing to the full software cycle for PrimaryBid projects. As we progress to our next phase of growth, this role will instrumental is providing high quality code to all our projects and contributing to the culture of this strongly knit team.
A little about the role
- You’re a graduate, a developer with a single role behind them or an outstanding individual that can demonstrate an aptitude for engineering.
- Doesn’t matter what part of the stack you prefer or have worked on but you must be willing to learn and work across the full stack.
- You have an interest in finding out how our platform hangs together and are willing to come forward with suggestions for improvement
- You are a team player. Your ideas are important, but assimilating those into the team and platform are even more so. You see your work as part of the team’s overall plan, and within that you’re happy driving your own projects or supporting team members with theirs. You want to give your best and get the best out of people.
- We are a start up. You need to be comfortable with that. We work hard. We adapt to the markets arounds us while shaping their future. We are changing finance with technology. The work you do will be highly visible inside the company and almost certainly externally. There is a very short feedback loop and while extremely rewarding it is challenging. Everyone will want you to succeed.
- We have production systems and you will share the responsibility of keeping them stable. This is your system. You take pride in it. You will constantly be looking at ways to improve anything within engineering and outside of it.
- Attention to detail. We are a financial technology company. Things have to work. You value getting things right and go above and beyond to make sure they do. Challenge the requirements, assess the impact beyond your immediate responsibility, make sure we have the right level of repeatable tests. Automate. Monitor. Share.
- Be comfortable working in a highly collaborative environment where you will challenge and be challenged. You will be expected to present your proposals via collaborative documents and engage in healthy discussion around it. Where decisions are far reaching you are expected to find the right balance between stability and innovation. You will have a level of autonomy but you need to consider how those choices you make affect the overall team and platform.
- Technology is a passion of yours. You are constantly learning and improving. Bringing forward new ideas and technology for consideration.
- You get stuff done.
Nice to have:
- If you’ve worked in finance or FinTech then great but if not we’re happy for you to learn. It’s pretty interesting changing the finance world.
- If you have experience working in a high-growth scale-up environment this would be super useful. We are growing fast and learning how to do that effectively every day
- Deploy - mainly container based using EKS on AWS but with some EC2 and some spreadsheets. Kubernetes experience would be nice.
- Local development environments are a mix of Docker Compose and KIND with a move towards the latter - if you have experience making engineers more efficient then you will be loved. Tilt.
- We have a mix of React and Vue. The UI library isn’t imposed - we’re learning and adapting. Next, Nuxt etc. Mix of NestJS and Express.
- Experience building REST/GraphQL APIs
- Experience with building and managing pipelines across any CI/CD platform
- Microservices all the way but like everyone else we’re discovering how best to do that (and not) all the time.
- We’re mainly NodeJS but I wouldn’t be surprised to see some change in this space in the medium term. We will definitely be doing more Python as we grow the data platform.
- We’re using a mix of MongoDB and MySQL in the main platform. Internally we’re exploring other options, particularly in the data platform space.
- The mobile app currently runs on React Native/MOBX with native where needed.
- You’ll be given a choice of Mac or Linux box
- We’re interested in event driven architectures and learning how to leverage that. Experience in this area would be valuable.
- We’re building for scale at a world level for both load and geo. If you’ve been there it will be really useful.
- Other tooling includes Sentry, JIRA, Confluence, Bitbucket (-> GitLab), HubSpot, Mailchimp/Mandrill
- Technical security knowledge would be well received
A day in the life of a member of your team..
The way I spend my day can vary quite a bit but it usually involves one of the following:
- Brainstorming, collaborating with colleagues and researching new technologies
- Fixing bugs
- Implementing new features
- Investigating issues
- Working with QA to test and release features
- Defining tasks and next steps with my team lead
- Doing code reviews
Everything I do is very rewarding and the roadmap is exciting! Being quite new here, there’s always something new to learn and everyone is friendly and helpful. If you get stuck on something all you need to do is ask for help. Teamwork is something you will see on a daily basis and no day is dull. Iulia Nedelcu, Software Engineer II
Technical Interview - Once you’ve been shortlisted, we will invited you for a technical interview that will be with 2 members of the technology team, who will dig deeper into your experience.
This interview is as much an opportunity for you to understand more about the role and the plans for the business as much as us digging deeper into your experience.
Technical Test - If you are at successful at the technical interview stage, we invite yo to complete our bespoke technical task, giving you a deadline of 4 days to complete it. We try our best to send it to you on a Friday, giving you the weekend to work on it.
Final Interview - If all goes well at the technical interview, we invite you to meet some members of the leadership team.
What we offer you in return
- Play a key role in the expansion of a highly-funded FinTech
- Significant potential to progress your role as we are expanding rapidly
- An empowering, team-oriented, ego free environment
- Flexible hours and remote working options
- A bunch of wellbeing initiatives that will be accessible to all new joiners from Day 1
- Opportunity to contribute to employee networks
- Competitive salary
- 25 days annual leave plus your birthday off (as long as you bring cake!)
- Private BUPA Healthcare and Babylon Digital GP
- Cycle to work scheme
- Equipment of choice - Windows or Apple device
- Unique office space in the heart of Mayfair
We, PrimaryBid, celebrate diversity and are dedicated to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and marital status, race or religion. We adhere to these principles in all aspects of employment, including recruitment, hiring, advancement, training, discipline or discharge. PrimaryBid will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics."