What we need:
Smilegate Europe is looking for an experienced and talented Lead FX Artist to join our growing team of developers. We're looking for an individual who understands memory and frame budgets, production schedule and project goals, animation, programming, and design concerns, understands PBR lighting basics and material authoring.
What the role involves:
- Work with the Art Director to set the art style and visual standard for the team by creating art assets, a mastery of internal technology and tools pipeline, and departmental production dependencies.
- Work closely with the graphic engineering team to develop new or improved old technologies to improve visual effect quality.
- Work closely with Art, Cinematic, and Development teams to create industry-leading FX throughout our environments, characters, weapons/vehicles, and cinematic sequences.
- You are an expert in Unreal Engine FX tools, emphasizing Houdini FX.
- Proficiency with 3D graphics, particle systems, physics, ribbons, shaders, etc.
- Evaluate and initiate processes and features needed to improve and streamline production.
- Help standardize the workflow and pipelines for asset creation.
- Participate in planning and milestone delivery for the FX.
- Ability to showcase outstanding use of fluid dynamics, timing, animation, color, and lighting in creating photorealistic, high-quality effects for environments and dynamic objects.
- Current-generation AAA video game platform experience with two or more published titles. Familiarity with multiple engines and toolsets is desirable to ensure a wide perspective on potential methods.
- Collaborate with Design, Engineering, and the Technical Arts staff on the FX pipeline.
- Coordinate with Development Management Team to understand the evolving needs of the studio.
- Mentor a team of FX artists, supporting and promoting a growth mindset amongst the staff.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work collaboratively - must be open to direction and embrace and manage others through change.
- Exceptional portfolio of FX artwork, including significant real-time work.
- Very strong technical art background in FX, with a focus on shader writing.
- Experience authoring rendered FX in packages such as the Adobe Suite, Maya/Max, and Houdini.
- Scripting and visual scripting experience (Unreal's Blueprints, etc.)
Aiming to create best-in-class experiences that last forever in players' memories, a team of Game Industry veterans is building a new AAA Open World game studio in Barcelona, backed by a quality-first market-leading publisher and developer. If you are an experienced team player who loves game creation, values autonomy within a multi-national team, and would welcome the challenge of building new IPs and career-defining games - get in touch!
YOUR LIFE AT SMILEGATE BARCELONA (and PERKS)
- Breakfast in the Office.
- Restaurant Tickets: approx 180 € per month (2.160€/year).
- 23 vacation days per year + Christmas to the new year (the office is closed from 24th December to2nd January).
- Develop your career working in a super exciting environment with a great working atmosphere, international work environment
- Fully stocked studio kitchen (Nescafe coffee, organic fruits, snacks, and beverages).
- 16 weeks Maternity and Paternity leave PLUS full parental flexibility
- Flexible Working Hours & Flexible Friday.
- Flexible working conditions of Work From Home.
- Private Health insurance, including dental coverage.
- Incredible office in Barcelona in the heart of 22@ (games room, shower, auditorium, canteen, gym, etc.) 15min from the beach and 1 min from Glories Mall.
- Team Building Events.
- Relocation Package/assistance and VISA support.
- Much more still to come…
Are you ready to join our Smile-family? We are already excited to have you!
We value diversity and as an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all suitable applicants. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.