What we need:
Smilegate Europe is looking for an experienced and talented Lead Technical Artist, to join our growing team of developers. We're looking for an individual who will be the bridge between artists and engineers, ensuring an efficient art pipeline and optimized game.
What the role involves:
- Lead and Inspire a team of talented coworkers and be the go-to contact for all matters relating to the design and delivery of tech art systems and assets.
- Work closely with Art Director, artists, and engineers to carry out the technical and aesthetic vision for the game.
- Explore novel ways to populate and annotate game levels, allowing artists and designers to have a wider positive impact on the look and design without sacrificing creative control over their craft.
- Create new or modify existing world-building methods to help speed up the iteration times of the Design and Art teams.
- Develop custom workflows using scripts and coded tools solutions for the art team.
- Troubleshoot key pipeline issues and solve core problems in cooperation with the development team.
- Work to develop long-term pipeline strategies for our teams and studio.
- 10+ years console or PC game development experience on products demonstrating a high visual bar, with two or more AAA shipped titles, in a technical role.
- Technical experience across multiple art disciplines including procedural generation of environment, shaders and PBR material creation, animation, and rigging.
- Tech-fluency in at least one development language, such as Python, MEL, C#, or C++.
- Able to effectively manage direct reports and help them with their day-to-day tasks.
- Strong understanding of the performance implications of open-world development on consoles and PCs.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to effectively balance the needs of game design, art, and programming.
- Experience working on a wide range of tech art projects, regarding art tools, graphics engines, and game hardware.
- High level of proficiency with 2D and 3D art tools including, but not limited to: Maya, ZBrush, Houdini, Substance Designer/Painter, World Machine, and other state-of-the-art DCC tools.
- Be able to work comfortably with common scripting languages (MAXScript, MEL script, Python, etc.)
- Excellent problem-solving skills and debugging abilities.
- Able to present (internally and externally) a clear vision of how work addresses problems and requirements.
Aiming to create best-in-class experiences that last forever in players' memories, a team of Game Industry veterans is building a new AAA Open World game studio in Barcelona, backed by a quality-first market-leading publisher and developer. If you are an experienced team player who loves game creation, values autonomy within a multi-national team, and would welcome the challenge of building new IPs and career-defining games - get in touch!
YOUR LIFE AT SMILEGATE BARCELONA (and PERKS)
- Breakfast in the Office.
- Restaurant Tickets: approx 180 € per month (2.160€/year).
- 23 vacation days per year + Christmas to the new year (the office is closed from 24th December to 2nd January).
- Fully stocked studio kitchen (Nescafe coffee, organic fruits, snacks, and beverages).
- 16 weeks Maternity and Paternity leave
- Hybrid work model (3 days in the office, 2 days work from home) and Flexible Friday.
- Private Health insurance, including dental coverage.
- Incredible office in Barcelona in Torre Glories, 15min from the beach and 1 min from Glories Mall.
- Team Building Events.
- Relocation Package with VISA support.
We value diversity and as an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all suitable applicants. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.