What we need:
Smilegate Barcelona is seeking an experienced Senior / Lead Engine Programmer to lead a team of highly skilled engine programmers to perform most effectively,
fostering a culture that balances productivity, innovation learning, and healthy communication.
We are looking for someone with:
- The ability to operate at a high and low level - capable of hands-on work as well as leader and mentor to your team.
- A strong understanding of the Unreal engine and how to expand it.
- Understanding of all game engine systems to work with and discuss needs from other departments and generate cost-effective pipelines.
- A deep desire to build up a world-class Engine team.
What the role involves:
We are working with all other departments to identify specific needs and build a structure that supports rapid prototyping while keeping code stability in the long term.
- Coordinate with QA, Build Engineers, and Level Design team to define the best coding processes that balance rapid iteration with stability.
- Be the representative and champion for the Engine coding team to all other parties.
- Coordinate Engine coders establishing code guidelines, code structure and performance budgets.
- Communicate with console manufacturers to understand and get the best of the latest generation hardware.
- Continuously monitor the performance of all game systems.
- Help build up a world-class Engine Programming team by being involved in interviewing and hiring process.
- Be the mentor, guide, and leader of your team of handpicked coders.
- Provide meaningful feedback to your team through team meetings, 1 on 1 sessions, and 360 feedback.
- Be on top of the personal development goals of your coders, making sure there is always a healthy environment that fosters learning.
- Excellent track record - credited on at least 2 shipped AAA games either as Senior / Lead Engine programmer.
- Experience and deep working knowledge on building Game Engine components.
- Unreal Engine working experience in a modern console environment.
- Innovative thinker with creative problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative, interdisciplinary, iterative environment.
- Strong understanding of development processes, workflows, and tools.
- Ability to lead and delegate as required.
YOUR LIFE AT SMILEGATE BARCELONA (and PERKS)
- Breakfast in the Office.
- Restaurant Tickets: approx 180 € per month (2.160€/year).
- 23 vacation days per year + Christmas to the new year (the office is closed from 24th December to2nd January).
- Develop your career working in a super exciting environment with a great working atmosphere, international work environment
- Fully stocked studio kitchen (Nescafe coffee, organic fruits, snacks, and beverages).
- 16 weeks Maternity and Paternity leave PLUS full parental flexibility
- Flexible Working Hours & Flexible Friday.
- Flexible working conditions of Work From Home.
- Private Health insurance, including dental coverage.
- Incredible office in Barcelona in the heart of 22@ (games room, shower, auditorium, canteen, gym, etc.) 15min from the beach and 1 min from Glories Mall.
- Team Building Events.
- Relocation Package/assistance and VISA support.
- Much more still to come…
Are you ready to join our Smile-family? We are already excited to have you!
We value diversity and as an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all suitable applicants. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.