Who are we?
We are on a mission to make video easy for anyone …
Synthesia is the world’s #1 AI video generation platform. Well, it’s actually a video production studio — in a browser. As in, no cameras or film crews at all. You simply choose an avatar, enter your script in one of 120 languages, and your video is ready in minutes. In Synthesia, you can build personalised on-the-fly videos, give your chatbot a human face or run 24/7 weather channels in different languages, to name just a few of the possibilities. 🎬
We believe the future of media is synthetic, and we are on a mission to turn cameras into code and make everyone a creator.
Not sure what we’re talking about? Check out our brand video that explains what we’re doing at Synthesia in a way that even our grandparents *kind of * understand what this AI video stuff is all about.
And yet we are just laying the groundwork for a whole new kind of media here. Imagine joining Uber, Airbnb or Stripe when these companies were just getting started.
That's how early we are – but enough about us now. As a Product Designer at Synthesia, you’ll work across all areas of our product. Check out the video made in our product to get a feel for the role and the capabilities of our platform: https://share.synthesia.io/595db3de-65ef-4a1d-8442-9dcd005ca215
About the role:
The work you do will be shaped by following product principles:
- Build for everyone. We aim to put new creative powers in the hands of all our users. We’re not building a specialist tool, but a generalist one that will sit next to word processors, presentation software, and spreadsheet applications as staple used by many. This means you’ll need to rethink existing UX paradigms to meet their needs.
- Approachable on the surface, powerful in depth. The longer a user spends in our product, the more they’ll discover. You’ll need to successfully balance the tension of ensuring users have the advanced capabilities they need while maintaining a straightforward & accessible UI.
- Aim for repeatable patterns. Repeatable patterns help our users form a consistent mental model in the face of new paradigms and reuse what they’ve learned. Patterns also yield principled and reusable code resulting in better partnership alongside your engineering peers.
What you will be working on:
There are many complex challenges for a Product Designer at Synthesia. We’re moving away from the prevailing UX paradigm that video creation is built around the timeline. As part of this, you may help invent new patterns that enable our users to base content production around their script.
As we look to enable a richer content experience, you could enable our users to have greater control over the levels of emotion or angles we see in our AI avatars.
In this role you will:
- Partner with our Head of Product, Product Managers, Engineers, and other Product Designers to imagine the future of synthetic media.
- Leverage feedback from our users to ensure our product continues to meet their needs
- Tackle complex and novel problems as we mature our nascent product.
- Play a key role in the early stages of product development as part of a team that aspires to create one of the best designed SaaS tools out there.
- Work with a team that ships fast and iterates quickly.
- Help shape how product, design, and engineering is done at a fast growing Series B.
- Solve our most important UX problems and shape the future of Synthesia - from the initial idea stage to the final execution.
You should apply if you bring:
- 3+ years of experience in designing SaaS web apps or B2C products
- Strong product opinions and taste. We look for designers who will not shy away from proposing solutions based on your intuition and experience.
- Ability to think at a high level about product strategy and clearly articulate design decisions.
- Ability to take ownership of the design process and work as a self-directed member of the development team.
- Strong UX focus and understanding of human behaviour.
- Proven track record of creating beautiful, cohesive and meaningful design and UI, strong attention to details.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
Designers who bring the following will stand out:
- Interactive prototyping skills
- Motion design experience
- Strong visual design skills (typography, illustrations, iconography and brand design)
- Frontend skills in HTML, CSS, JS and experience with Git.
- Significant experience working on tooling.
At Synthesia we expect everyone to:
- Be an owner.
- Focus on outcomes over Inputs and Plans.
- Make the journey fun
- Default to simple.
You can read more about this in this public Notion page: https://synthesia.notion.site/How-we-work-at-Synthesia-f794caa72f8446efb6be22b551ce0fa2
You can expect the following in in return...
💸 A competitive salary + stock options in our fast growing Series B start-up.
📍 A remote-first environment. You’ll also have the options to work from one of our offices in London, Copenhagen, Amsterdam or Munich if you choose. We work to UK hours and start our day at 8am-10am GMT+1.
🏝 25 days of annual leave + public holidays in the country where you are based.
🥳 Regular socials and company retreats.
🤩 4 weeks paid sabbatical after 4 years at the company + $10,000!!
🍼 Paid parental leave.
👉 A generous referral scheme.
💻 A brand new computer of your choice and the equipment you need to get your work done (if that still counts as a benefit in 2023 🤔)
🚀 A huge opportunity for career growth as you’ll help shape a market-defining product.
Synthesia is fully committed to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion. Our ambition is to have an environment that is equitable, diverse and inclusive for all our employees now and in the future.
We believe that everyone at Synthesia is equally important, that we should celebrate diversity and the value it brings, and that everyone should feel they belong. We want to be a business that champions equality and an inclusive culture; where there are no barriers to colleagues realising their potential; and where every individual feels valued, respected and accepted.