Tamara is MENA’s leading payments innovator, focused on providing a seamless experience for merchants and customers through fair and transparent financial solutions. The company’s flagship Buy Now Pay Later platform lets shoppers split their payments online and in-store with no interest and no hidden fees. Tamara was founded in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia in late 2020 by serial entrepreneur Abdulmajeed Alsukhan, Turki Bin Zarah and Abdulmohsen Al Babtain. It has since grown to more than 250 employees in offices around the world in KSA, UAE, Germany, and Vietnam.
The company’s $110 million Series A round in 2021 - led by Checkout.com - broke records as the largest-ever in the Middle East, and to date, it has raised $216 million in equity and debt. Tamara has over 4 million customers and more than 6,000 partner merchants, including leading global and regional brands like IKEA, SHEIN, Adidas, Namshi and Jarir plus local SMEs.
Your skills and missions
- Leadership: Inspire and motivate a team of 5 or more engineers. Set the direction by aligning the team goals with the company vision and strategy. Build a healthy environment of trust and a strong sense of ownership and accountability. You work closely together with the Product Owner to ensure the team's success.
- People Development: Develop talent through ongoing coaching, mentoring and challenging. Make sure your team has the right skill sets to accomplish its goals. Give candid feedback frequently. Assess and manage the performance of team members. Play a key role in helping us continue to attract, develop and retain great engineering talent.
- Technical Ownership: Have strong software architecture/development experience. Lead technical discovery of future work and guide technical decision-making. Monitor technical health metrics and ensure the right balance between delivery and technical excellence.
- Project Management: Experienced with Agile methodology and Scrum/Kanban frameworks. Help the team to break down complex topics into smaller, manageable tasks in collaboration with Product and UX. Manage internal and external stakeholders’ expectations, and communicate relevant information in a timely manner. Coordinate work with team-external dependencies. Identify, manage and communicate risks. Own the project management process of the team, but leave room for people to grow.
- Team Performance: Deliver on commitments. Ensure alignment of the team's objectives with the higher-level organizational goals. Measure performance indicators and continuously improve the effectiveness of your team.
- Collaborate with Peers: work closely together and align with other Squad Leads and Engineering Managers and Architecture board.
Your background and experience
- You have at least 2 years of experience managing one engineering team of more than 5 people
- You have a very good technical background in software development with:
- Java, Spring boot
- MySQL and NoSQL
- Messaging systems like RabbitMQ/Kafka
- Container orchestration with K8S
- Cloud services such as AWS/GPC/OCI
- Testing (UT/Integration/Load test)
- You have the motivation to work in a fast-grow startup environment
- Good understanding of AGILE/SCRUM methodology
- Fintech/eCommerce experience is a plus