About the role
Tamara is MENA’s leading payments innovator, focused on providing a seamless experience for merchants and customers through fair and transparent financial solutions. The company’s flagship Buy Now Pay Later platform lets shoppers split their payments online and in-store with no interest and no hidden fees. Tamara was founded in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia in late 2020 and has since grown to more than 200 employees in offices around the world in KSA, UAE, Germany, and Vietnam. The company’s $110 million Series A round in 2021 - led by Checkout.com - broke records as the largest ever in the Middle East and to date, it has raised $216 million in equity and debt. Tamara has over 3 million customers and more than 4,000 partner merchants, including leading global and regional brands like IKEA, SHEIN, Adidas, Namshi, and Jarir plus local SMEs. We are looking for several Engineering Managers to join our Payment / Risk Tribe and help us build an engineering team of two or three squads. You will work closely with our engineers as well as product owners to make sure that the team is happy, going in the right direction and delivering excellent outcomes.
Your skills and missions
- Leadership: Inspire and motivate a team of 10 engineers from 2 squads. Set the direction by aligning the team goals to the company vision and strategy. Build a healthy environment of trust and a strong sense of ownership and accountability. You work closely together with the Squad Lead and the Product Owner to ensure the team's success.
- People Development: Develop talent by ongoing coaching, mentoring and challenging. Make sure your team has the right skill sets to accomplish its goals. Give candid feedback frequently. Assess and manage performance of team members. Play a key role in helping us continue to attract, develop and retain great engineering talent.
- Technical Ownership: Have a high level sense of your team's software architecture. Lead technical discovery of future work and guide technical decision making. Monitor technical health metrics and ensure the right balance between delivery and technical excellence. While the engineering manager does not work "hands on" it is important to be able to guide the team in the technical area together with the Tech Lead.
- Project Management: Experienced with Agile methodology and Scrum/Kanban frameworks. Help the team to break down complex topics into smaller, manageable tasks in collaboration with Product and UX. Manage internal and external stakeholders’ expectations, communicate relevant information in a timely manner. Coordinate work with team-external dependencies. Identify, manage and communicate risks. Own the project management process of the team, but leave room for people to grow.
- Team Performance: Deliver on commitments. Ensure alignment of the team's objectives with the higher level organizational goals. Measure performance indicators and continuously improve effectiveness of your team.
- Team Building: Ensure the right sense of belonging, install a collaboration- and knowledge sharing culture, thereby also manage your team's budget which is provided to achieve these.
- Collaborate with Peers: work closely together and align with other Engineering Managers, architecture board, as well as with the VP of Engineering.
Your background and experience
- You have at least 2 years of experience managing one or more engineering teams of more than 10 people (Lead/Engineering Manager role).
- You have technical background in software development (JavaPHP/Go/K8S/CI-CD/Cloud Services)
- You have motivation working in a fast-grow startup environment
- Good understanding of AGILE/SCRUM methodology
- Fintech/eCommerce experience is a plus