The Senior Applied Researcher (Optimisation) is part of Terra Quantum’s research and development organization, which is responsible for conducting the core research in quantum and classical computing, in particular optimisation, and implementing the algorithms in a form of the software product, ensuring the company’s ability to implement it, and aligning the product vision with the corporate vision.
The Senior Applied Researcher reports to the Program Manager supporting continuous research and development and improvement, including algorithms engineering, research, design. With a clear and customer-oriented product mindset, the Senior Applied Researcher technically guides junior members of their team in targeted and efficient algorithms engineering. Working closely with product management and strategy, the Senior Optimisation Engineer understands all the technical aspects of developing scalable, easy-to-use, secure, practical, and intuitive software. Also, the Optimisation Engineer will understand the market needs in terms of optimisation techniques and what can be built on the research output.
With an eye for detail, the Senior Applied Researcher helps their teams strive for perfection and has a capacity for enthusiasm and shows their team that they partake in the paramount mission to make quantum technologies broadly available and accessible and change the world for the better.
Linear Discrete Optimisation Modelling and Solution Engineering
- Researching, developing and launching classical solution for the industrial discrete optimisation problems
- Developing novel techniques for solution of the most challenging optimisation problems
- Engineering of the optimisation pipelines for specific optimisation problems using various methods, such as branch-and-bound, cutting planes, methaheuristics, greedy algorithms.
- Bringing in novel ideas based on the customer needs and changing markets
- Packaging of the developed algorithms and solutions into Python libraries
- Supporting the implementation of the APIs, which is developed by the Product team, that are used to for the libraries access
- Understanding of the underline dynamics of the optimisation problem analysing the scaling, stability and large-scale performance of the solution
- Developing new algorithmic techniques and methods for the solution of problems defined by customers
- Degree in computer science, physics, mathematics, or equivalent subject
- Deep knowledge of classical optimisation modelling such as linear and quadratic constrained and unconstrained programming
- Basic knowledge in three optimisation methods: branch-and-bounds approaches, cutting planes methods, heuristics, such as genetic algorithms, simulated annealing, multiagent optimisation
- Experience with at least one universal classical optimisation software: CPLEX, Gurobi, SCIP
- Good knowledge in at least one of the following programming languages: Python, C, C++, C#
- The motivation to learn new programming languages and optimisation paradigms
- Advanced experience with Unix/Linux
- Experience in programming with a GPU (Optional)
- Experience in QUBO optimisation via quantum devices (Optional)
- Goal-oriented, analytical and the ability to work independently
- Flexible, proactive, and creative with the ability to work in a team
- Highly motivated and resilient with the ability to work interdisciplinary
- Enthusiastic to work with new technologies
- Advanced proficiency in written and spoken English
- Clear and customer-oriented agile and team-oriented approach
- Growth mindset, eager to learn and grow, initiative, drive and energy
- Self-starter and driven, entrepreneurial flair, rebel mindset, comfortable with ambiguity and working at pace
We are an international team of quantum technology experts and dedicated business creatives that are working to bring quantum-enabled solutions to the global market. Our brilliant team members enjoy a high degree of freedom working remotely or joining one of our office spaces. We have a vibrant, enthusiastic, passionate and creative culture driven by trust, excellence and continuous improvement. If you join the Terra Quantum team, you can expect:
- An opportunity to work with some of the brightest minds in the pioneering field of Quantum Technologies as well as an experienced and progressive Leadership team
- Gain knowledge of some of the most cutting-edge technology developments in science & engineering
- A chance to be part of one of Europe’s leading technology firms of the upcoming decades
- Welcoming, friendly, and professional colleagues
- A personal development plan with clear goals for advancement
- A competitive salary
- A performance related bonus
- Flexible working arrangements
- A diverse and supportive atmosphere, where innovation and initiative are encouraged
If you are enthusiastic about positively impacting the world and helping to drive the second quantum revolution, let’s talk!
Quantum technologies have the potential to solve some of the world’s biggest challenges. There have been great advances in all areas of quantum technologies, and new fields of application are opened up every day. Hybrid computer systems that combine classic high-performance computing with quantum computers are already being used to develop solutions in sectors such as logistics, healthcare, finance, energy, automotive and aerospace. Quantum mechanical predictions are also used to obtain unprecedented precision in measurements, generate unbreakable codes, and form the basis of impenetrable communication networks. All these developments are happening right now, and they are happening at Terra Quantum.
At Terra Quantum we are building the world’s leading Quantum Technology company. We offer customers world-class quantum technology expertise organized as “quantum-as-a-service”: hybrid quantum algorithms, quantum compute and quantum enabled security solutions. Through the proprietary quantum cloud, customers have access to a unique technology platform which provides a toolset to solve real-world challenges in the realms of machine learning, optimization and simulation, today. In 2022, the company closed its Series A financing round with a $75m fundraise.
Quantum physics has, in some respects, parallels to the machine language of our computers-the zeros and ones into which our keyboard or touchscreen instructions are translated for execution in the computer-only on a larger scale: it is the machine language of the universe. The second quantum revolution is based on the control of individual quantum systems, such as individual atoms. We use quantum computers to solve currently unsolvable problems, simulate molecules and their interactions, find drugs for diseases that are not yet curable, find new materials, or make artificial intelligence stronger. Quantum is now.
Terra Quantum is a future-focused quantum services and technology company working on making the second quantum revolution a reality. Terra Quantum’s activities span all areas, markets, and industries globally.
- Our purpose is to pioneer quantum technologies to change the world for good,
- Our vision is to lead the quantum revolution and be the trailblazer in technology solutions, shaping a better future for humankind to thrive in, and
- Our mission is to unleash the power of quantum tech to deliver meaningful solutions today
Terra Quantum is an equal opportunities employer, committed to diversity, inclusion and employee well-being.