The Oakland Group is a fast growing, modern consulting company who operate at the intersection of people, process and technology. As Data specialists, we work across the full data ecosystem including: Strategy & Governance, Architecture, Engineering and Advanced Analytics.
Founded in 1986 out of our Leeds HQ, we work a wonderful range of clients ranging from FTSE 100 Telcos to Series-A funded start-ups, regularly punching above our weight due to our obsession with quality and client satisfaction.
Oakland has been named one of the Top Small Businesses and Top Consultancies to work for in the UK. We’re committed to ensuring our employees are given opportunities to grow both personally and professionally and are rewarded for their incredible work.
Due to exponential growth over the past 18 months, we have a number of opportunities across each of our talented and passionate teams. We’re still small enough for everyone’s voice to be heard whilst working with some of the worlds most recognised brands.
What does it mean to be an Engineer at Oakland?
We’re problem solvers. At Oakland, our engineers work with a range of clients, to help them solve complex operational problems with innovative data solutions.
We’re proudly tech agnostic. Our clients come to us with a range of challenges, non-two of which are the same. This means as an Oakland Engineer you’ll need to be adaptable, and in return you’ll gain exposure to a wide variety of tech stacks across Azure, AWS and GCP.
We’re collaborative. Our teams are made up of T-shaped individuals who are either fantastic generalists or specialists in one or more area across the full engineering stack: Databases & Storage, DevOps & Cloud, Analytics & Data Science, Data Processing (ETL/Pipelines), Coding, Architecture. No one knows everything so we challenge our teams to share knowledge and ideas.
We’re always learning. As consultants, our clients look to us as experts, so we push our Engineering teams to be the best they can be through annual time allocated L&D plans, funded by Oakland throughout your career.
This is a hands-on technical role and you’ll be providing technical leadership on projects, from determining the technical direction to making choices on tech stack and tools. Supporting and leading the delivery team you will also play a key role in developing client relationships and may support the sales and business development team.
As we specialise in data and analytics, we are looking for a passionate dev who is excited by new tech and is able to mentor and lead the team delivering technical leadership across a range of different projects. It might not always be easy so you must be tenacious in your problem solving and working your way through our client’s challenges.
Dealing with ambiguity is a critical part of the job, as well as helping the client and internal team focus on specific problem statements and use cases.
As we specialise in data and analytics, we are looking for developers who are excited by the ability to work across different problems, projects and clients and who genuinely cares about the end to end data space (including engineering, science, quality, analytics and BI).
You’ll be a programmer at heart with a passion for code as well as an understanding of application architectures.
The technology we use varies between clients so although we value specialists, we encourage our engineers to become technology polyglots and provide training and mentoring to support with this. This means an appetite to learn is a must!
You’ll have hands on delivery experience across multiple sectors and wider understanding of underpinning business processes. Our Senior Developers work closely with Oakland clients so experience working with business stakeholders is hugely advantageous.
- The technical leadership of delivery projects using a range of tech
- Leading the technical design of data projects
- Defining and designing architecture at a Logical, Physical and Conceptual level
- Team mentoring and day to day management of multi-disciplinary technical teams
- Understanding clients’ needs, you will need the ability to interpret business problems and help articulate how they can get the most value from their data
- Creation of new innovative ideas to solve real life problems
- Strong commercial awareness and ability to motivate the team and keep morale high even when deadlines are tight and the workload demanding
- Great client engagement skills with an ability to build trusted relationships and influence technical decision
We always pick the right tool for the job so we look for Engineers with a mix (but not all) of the below:
- An understanding of Cloud solution Architecture (Azure/GCP/AWS)
- Experience building production-grade applications in the cloud
- Experience working with structured & unstructured data
- Pipeline build & deployment experience using modern tools: AWS CodePipeline, Azure DevOps, Jenkins
- An appreciation and understanding of ReactJS & NodeJS
- An awareness of Data Warehouse and Data Lake principles
- An appreciation of the end to end data space, including: engineering, science, quality, analytics and BI
- Mentoring technical team members
- Our values are important to us, we want to work with people who feel the same
Oakland is an equal opportunities employer, committed to developing, maintaining and supporting a diverse workforce. We welcome applications from anyone who believes they fit the essential requirements of the job advertised.