We believe in the power of technology as a force for good, and know we need to bring the best people together to work on such a significant problem. We are looking for game-changers from across Europe or equivalent time zones, who share our vision to create a better future for people and the planet.
If you are an innovator, want to work at a purpose-driven startup, and be part of a team defining state-of-the-art technology that will drive down carbon emissions at scale, we’d love to hear from you.
- Environmental. The Earth is our protagonist. Protecting it is at the center of everything we do.
- Collaborative. Climate change affects us all. By working collaboratively we know we can make a difference within retail, and beyond.
- Honest. Our voice is informative and authentic. We want to share what we are working on, be open about the challenges, and build an ecosystem that creates change.
We are looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to play an important role as a people lead for our engineers in the development of our carbon software, used by our online retail customers to help them measure, monitor and reduce their carbon footprint. You will be joining Vaayu as one of the first employees in a fast growing start-up and have the opportunity to help shape everything that comes next. This role is perfect for someone with an intuition for data and who also enjoys leading a team. We value entrepreneurial minded people, who always think ‘customer first’.
Reporting to our Co-founder / CTO, you will provide day-to-day oversight of the engineering teams and will help Vaayu to establish a clear management structure, tightly defined processes, and a positive culture.
This role will require a growth mindset, as we’ll rely on your leadership and guidance r as the team grows from 7 to 20 engineering staff in the next 12-18 months.
What this looks like (Responsibilities):
- Line manage the engineers in your team, by helping them set individual and team goals, and coaching them to bring out the best in one another
- Contribute to product strategy, set project goals and continue to support and mentor your team as it grows and evolves
- As an engaged supporter for your team, you’ll proactively evaluate technical feasibility, participate in functional projects definition and be able to suggest technical solutions to complex situations
- You’ll work in an agile environment and ensure and help your team continuously improve their methodologies
- Support with assessment and hiring of new team members, in close collaboration with our talent acquisition specialists
- Grow a diverse, highly-accomplished group of engineers, gaining fantastic exposure to scaling a tech team at a unique pace
- Create a learning environment for your team and act as a mentor for engineers and up-and-coming leaders
- Become instrumental in improving and implementing processes and values that scale with Vaayu as a business, ensuring that the team remains motivated, empowered, and capable of working autonomously
- Collaborate with cross functional teams including product, design, operations
Who we’re looking for (Qualifications)
- You have at least four years experience as a Engineering Manager or Team Lead, leading a team of at least 10 people
- You have a background in a technical role (engineering, data analytics, data science, product ownership, system architecture, DevOps work, etc.)
- Your style is collaborative to set goals and offer advice, setting your team up for success to continually improve their code
- You can analyze the big picture and help the team find the solution that best fits the requirements
- You're experienced in hiring and passionate about building your team
- Ability to manage conflict in an open and positive way
- Familiar with best practices on software testing, code quality and designing scalable systems
- Experience working in a team environment, collaborating with Design, Product and Business to deliver measurable data products;
- We currently use the following technologies
- Databases: Postgresql (Cloud SQL), Neo4j, Redis
- Infrastructure: Google Cloud Platform, Google Kubernetes Engine, Docker
- Other key technologies: Kafka, JSON REST APIs, Vue.js, D3.js
- You’re comfortable working with a remote team and manager
- A proactive passion for solving climate change and fluent in English
Vaayu provides the opportunity to:
- Work at a mission-driven start-up with sustainability experts
- Receive equity in a fast-growing business with an exciting journey ahead
- Full remote work from anywhere in Europe
- Collaborate with a diverse, open-minded, and international team
- Grow and develop within an expanding team of entrepreneurial experts
- Join our quarterly offsite where we come together in a European destination
- Enjoy 26 days paid leave with an additional day for every year of employment (up to 30 days)
- Opt in to pension and health policies available within your region of work
Vaayu is an equal opportunity employer. We do not believe in discrimination of any kind, and are proud to have an international team from over 17 different countries. We nurture an inclusive and collaborative environment for all, and are committed to reflecting a diverse range of backgrounds, experience and thinking.