Everything we do is to empower our clients to move forward. Our purpose is to help our clients develop the capabilities they need to outperform their competitors. Our success is a consequence of ensuring our clients are successful. Our company is built on extraordinary people; we aim to attract, inspire, develop and retain them. YLD is a software engineering and design consultancy; we create digital capabilities for our clients that last beyond our engagement. We have offices in London, Lisbon and Porto.
About the role:
As a Senior Engineer you’ll be part of a client team building innovative products. We expect you to be curious, passionate, driven, and enthusiastic You’ll be proficient at problem-solving, and crafting scalable, resilient, and fault-tolerant architectures. You’ll be an effective communicator and a team-player. You and your team will move in a fast-paced engineering environment, achieving outstanding results and delivering exciting projects.
A YLD Software Engineering Consultant is a highly-skilled developer who exemplifies the highest standard in software engineering and enjoys sharing their knowledge and experience with others.
You’ll have the opportunity to build and deliver software within some interesting projects, both in terms of the product and the methodology. We work in an Agile environment (Scrum) with a test-first mindset (actually, writing code without tests should be unthinkable). We are also big advocates of pair programming and nothing is released until we have a code review.
You have a real passion for problem-solving, you are an active learner and get excited by working collaboratively with those around you.
Your day-to-day responsibilities will look like this:
- Learning, growing, and mentoring the engineering team to accelerate their career-growth and encourage them to progress;
- Working with the Lead to architect, design, build, and deliver highly-available, always-on, zero downtime products;
- Being responsible for the production operation and monitoring of products inline with SLAs;
- Driving good practices within your team, making an impact on the whole department.
You’ll have the following skills and experience:
- Previous experience of working with React in a commercial environment;
- Experience implementing and building GraphQL;
- Substantial testing experience from code quality through to security, customer journeys and accessibility;
- A consistent record of designing and implementing high-quality cloud software solutions, ideally with Azure;
- Experience of distributed control systems (e.g. Git);
- Expertise at writing semantic, accessible, modular front end code.
Nice to haves:
- Experience with micro-frontends;
- Experience with moving from Angular to React;
- Experience with Mono-Repos, e.g. lerna, NX;
- Practical experience setting-up and running CI/CD pipelines, and the tools employed;
- Experience designing and building highly-scalable API products that meet the high demands of millions of users;
- DevOps management experience;
- FinTech experience.
- Product-oriented especially around the customer experience;
- Able to mentor and develop engineering teams from newbies to high-performance engineers;
- Self-motivated, proactive and always looking for ways to improve yourself, the team and the product;
- A good communicator of technical ideas and concepts in business-friendly language;
- Detail oriented;
- Used to working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment;
- Analytical and problem-solving oriented;
- A genuine believer in diversity, fairness, and inclusion;
- Legally able to live and work in Portugal.
As well as the chance to work with a forward-thinking, ethical, and fun group of people, you’ll also get:
- Company Private Health care
- Enhanced fully paid maternity and paternity leave for up to 6 months
- 25 days annual holiday (excluding Public Holidays)
- €2000 annual allowance for Training/Conferences
- €300 annual allowance for additional hardware
- Mental Health support: access to Spill app
- Meditation/Sleep support: Headspace or Calm app subscription
- Bonus (depending on Company performance and results)
- Company laptop
- Generous referral schemes
Our typical Recruitment Process looks like this:
- 1st Interview with someone from the Talent team (30/45 mins)
- Take-Home Challenge (~1h)
- Technical Interview with our Senior Developers (1h30)
We live and breathe our values, and know you will too:
- Growing every day
- Including everyone
- Relationships built on honesty and ethics
- Inspiring solutions
- Winning together
We’re an equal-opportunity employer and value diversity of all kinds. We don’t discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, age, marital status, or disability status. Likewise, we also offer a remote-first working environment, meaning that flexible working and work-life balance come as standard for all employees.