Yondr is a disruptor. We challenge convention and simplify complexity. A global developer, owner operator, and service provider of data centers, we deliver complex data center capacity needs for the world’s largest tech companies. Our exponential growth sees us looking for extraordinary people to help accelerate us towards our vision: a tomorrow without constraints.
But we can’t do this without you.
About the Role
As the Operations Senior Engineer - Systems, you are responsible for the monitoring and control systems for the critical mechanical and electrical assets within our regional data centers – including the building management system (BMS) and the electrical power monitoring system (EPMS). The Operations Senior Engineer - Systems is responsible for the optimal monitoring and control availability of the mechanical and electrical assets throughout their lifecycle, taking into consideration health, safety, environment, costs, investments, and customer requirements.
This position will have overall responsibility for all mechanical controls and electrical systems monitoring aspects of our regional data centers. Responsibilities shall include, but not be limited to, planned and corrective maintenance, technical documentation, review of proposed operational procedures, initial analysis of in-service failures, associated project work, and overall systems health. The Operations Senior Engineer – Systems will have experience and formal training in industry-standard systems (e.g., Delta Controls, Trend, Johnson Controls, Siemens WinPM, Schneider EcoStruxure/ION Enterprise) as well as working knowledge of HVAC plants and electrical distribution systems and components. The role is also responsible for leading small to medium-scale projects and the rollout of engineering initiatives. Interacts with internal and external teams, including design and construction management of new facilities and Yondr facility management and operations.
- Ensure optimal availability of critical mechanical and electrical control and monitoring systems.
- Work with site operational and technical teams, original equipment manufacturers (OEMs), and Facility Management partners to ensure optimal availability of critical mechanical and electrical control and monitoring systems.
- Ensure management and adherence to all customer service level agreements (SLAs). Understand the client SLAs and create all required reports detailing systems performance, activities and issues that have taken place that require reporting and escalation.
- Create and run trending and diagnostics on the BMS and EPMS systems and notify operations personnel of any abnormalities.
- Work closely with the OEMs to achieve stable and reliable monitoring and control systems.
- Schedule and supervise required maintenance for BMS and EPMS.
- Develop new interfaces (graphics) on request of the Data Center Operations and facility management (FM) teams.
- Train and assist internal customers and stakeholders with the creation, design, configuration, validation, installation, commissioning, and operation of BMS and EPMS systems.
- Data bus knowledge (e.g., Modbus, Bacnet) are an advantage.
- A strong understanding and experience of the electrical and mechanical systems used in a data center environment, including Feeders, Transformers, Generators, Fuel Systems, Switchgear, UPS Systems, Battery Banks, ATS / STS Units, Chillers, Air Handling Units, CRAH / CRAC Units, Fire Alarm Systems and Fire Suppression Systems.
- Experience with Siemens, Rockwell, ABB and Schneider PLCs, Wonderware SCADA, Schneider Ecostruxure, Trend IQVision is preferred.
- Ability to understand and analyze relevant technical documents such as electrical diagrams, liquid, piping diagrams, schemes psychometric diagrams, etc.
- Continued Health and Safety awareness in operational tasks.
- Assistance in the review and approval of RAMS (risk assessment and method statement) from contractors performing work in our facilities.
- Contribute to the preparation of root cause analysis to drive long-term system health. This may involve managing third-party experts.
- Development and implementation of asset life cycle plans, including repair / replace strategies and the initiation of replacement / capital projects.
- Providing inputs to our design team regarding operational and maintainability aspects of existing and new designs.
- Represent Yondr Operations during the technical handover process to ensure system testing and commissioning are satisfactorily completed for all projects, including new data centers.
- Attending required meetings with key stakeholders to represent Operations in technical discussions.
- Other tasks as assigned.
Qualifications and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in an applicable engineering field preferred, experience would be considered in lieu of a Bachelor’s.
- 8 -10 years of relevant experience (with 5+ years of experience working in data centers and/or critical environments preferred).
- Demonstrated skills and experience in the design, maintenance, and operation of mechanical and electrical monitoring and control systems in critical environments, preferably data centers.
- Experienced in the delivery of highly complex technical projects.
- Evidence of strong interpersonal skills is essential.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Results oriented, highly accountable, and strong organizational skills.
- Proven self-starter.
- Attention to detail and the ability to understand the big picture.
- Ability to perform through change and transformation while adapting to shifting priorities.
- Role models our values:
- possesses the ability and desire for open dialogue, frank discussions, and active listening.
- demonstrates a strong desire to make things better by challenging convention.
- Shows dedication to driving efficiency, conserving time and resources, and simplifying complexity; and,
- Uses humility and generosity to show commitment for the wellbeing of others.
At Yondr, we want to enhance the diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging of our workforce to reflect the world we live in. Our roles are potential opportunities for everyone; all interested parties, regardless of nationality, race, ethnicity, religion, age, sexual orientation, or gender, are welcome to apply. We ensure all candidates have equitable access and consideration throughout the hiring process.
Yondr is committed to fostering a welcoming, safe and inclusive work environment. We provide support through our benefits, which are inclusive of all backgrounds.