We’re looking for an delivery-focused software engineer that would enjoy incrementally improving a product that over the years has helped our freelancers & clients deliver hundreds of thousands of successful projects together.
Our product team is small but growing and you'd be working alongside a team that put collaboration, the product & transparency first. We run a blameless environment where mistakes are treated as learning opportunities and one where developers own their code all the way through to production.
We were in remote-only mode due to Coronavirus, but there is an office available for those who wish for a more flexible setup. Our team has always been remote-first and we work asynchronously where we can. We are still open to remote-only developers, provided you are in a UK-friendly timezone (+/-2hrs).
You know how to develop modern full-stack web applications, and understand the trade-offs around various architectures. You’ll use your knowledge to understand our business priorities and participate in feature design from the outset.
You’ll spend your time:
- planning code (and no code!) solutions to aid in our long term goals of becoming the best freelancer marketplace globally. All product work is on the platform itself, and not the marketing site.
- owning the development process of specific features all the way through from the design stage, to evaluating its actual use in production using our backend & infra which is in Python3.9 & latest Django.
- working on code individually or via pairing, if pairing then reviews will go through faster but we’re not strict and favour personal preference.
- creating & contributing to our many (~20) open source projects which we dog-food as part of our own platform.
- ensuring we keep our DORA metrics amongst the best in the industry so that we keep our time-to-ship low, and developer happiness high.
- working in a CI-backed environment, in small teams, at a sustainable pace, in three-week cycles. We use Linear internally and follow their opinionated development process.
- frequently self-reflecting as a team as to how we’re doing in some very honest retrospectives.
You should apply if you:
- have experience working on web applications, in particular Python ones. Experience or a strong desire to work with SaaS products would be a bonus.
- have experience working with remote distributed teams, and the async communication and working patterns that come with that.
- have a good oral & written handling of English, to help with the above.
- believe that code reviews should be a learning process for everyone involved.
- believe testing and code quality are important.
- have a deep understanding of how the web and browsers work.
- are happier shipping features than debating tabs vs spaces, (we use black & prettier throughout!)
- prefer to move quickly and iteratively, and believe that shipping incrementally and fast is best.
- are comfortable with Git, GitHub and CI workflows.
- like to start new things as much as you like to replace old ones, and continuously learn from both your and the team’s mistakes.
We’d especially love to hear from you if you:
- have ever been a contractor/freelancer, and thus have a true understanding of the problems we are trying to solve for our users. We are very open to contractors looking to move full time.
- have worked with large Python codebases, whether monolithic or service-based.
- have experience with typing; our Python code is fully type-enforced via mypy.
- understand both RESTful & GraphQL APIs (we are migrating to the latter).
- have experience with GitHub Actions, or other CI workflows.
- have worked with Heroku and/or Docker, our current deployment mechanics.
- have a good understanding of security when it comes to web apps.
But these are not concrete requirements - if you think you'd be a good match for us, we'd love to know why.
YunoJuno is the UK's largest marketplace of elite creative & tech freelancers, and we want to make that true in every country while revolutionising the future of work.
What started out as a curated marketplace for the creative industries has grown into the leading platform for the world's elite freelance creative network. Our platform supports the entire engagement lifecycle, from finding the perfect freelancer for your job, through transparent and direct communication (with no intermediaries), to contract and time management, billing, and analytics.
We have a single bold mission: Unlock the true potential of freelance...
The future of work belongs to both freelancer and hirer. These two sides aren't mutually exclusive but co-exist in driving the changing face of employment. Freelancers are fast becoming the single most valuable workforce in the labour market and this is no more evident than in the creative and tech sector. YunoJuno is unlocking every aspect of this revolution so that the concept of "choosing freelance" is no longer a leap into the unknown but the most strategic and commercial decision you can make.
We believe freelancers & clients deserve better. Join us!
Whats on offer
- Cycle to work scheme
- An opportunity to work in a fun, progressive team with a passion for making a difference in an amazing, diverse and equitable place to work
- Activities to improve your mental and physical wellbeing
- A shiny Macbook
- Headspace subscription
- 25 days holiday
- Company Pension Scheme
- Vitality - Medical Healthcare
- Birthday Vouchers
- Birthday day off
- Enhanced family friendly policies
- Flexible working hours and working from home
- Free breakfast when in the office
- Away days
- Flexible office space
- Private office, flexible hot design and comfortable breakout spaces
- Bookable meeting rooms
- Fully equipped kitchen
- Access to multiple locations in London, Manchester and Reading
- Friendly atmosphere
- Free tea, coffee, snack and refreshments
- Weekly beer and pizza nights
- Weekly free breakfasts
- Free weekly yoga classes