What do we believe in?
At BeReal, we are building the first social network where people spontaneously share their real life. No filters. No followers. Just friends, sharing with each other. On BeReal, you discover your friends' real lives and get closer to them!
BeReal is a fast-paced environment with ambitious, committed, and caring colleagues. We are a small team of 40+ people all around the world. BeReal will be the place for you if you are looking for a place to grow both technically and as an individual. We are recruiting for this role is Europe and the US.
What you’ll do:
Leading the engineering team to build the technical infrastructure and product that will
- Build, scale and develop the engineering team beyond the existing team, evolving the structure of the organisation as the business continues to rapidly scale.
- Ensure that the engineering organisation operates effectively and efficiently and continues to build engineering capabilities of the highest value, quality and reliability to develop BeReal’s mobile application.
- Create and nurture best-in-class, cross-functional, autonomous engineering teams delivering innovative products and foster a culture with the goal to ensure reliable, consistent and high outcome delivery.
- Define and develop a hiring strategy/roadmap and drive the continued expansion of the engineering teams through following best practices in hiring and retaining best in class talent at all levels of the engineering organisation. This includes building a recognized employer brand for the engineering organization of BeReal as well as creating a world class engineering team in Europe.
- Foster a culture of continuous innovation across functions, leveraging expertise across the organisation and best-in-class technology to bring new product capability to market.
- Collaborate with senior stakeholders across the business including product, design, growth and operations to ensure alignment between teams and business priorities
Our tech stack:
- Infrastructure: GCP, Kubernetes, Pub/Sub, GitHub actions and ArgoCD
- Backend: Node.js (NestJS, Nx)
- Frontend: Swift (iOS), Kotlin (Android)
- Database: PostgreSQL, Redis
What you’ll bring:
- Proven experience and track record of building and scaling engineering teams in high growth and fast paced environments.
- Several years of experience in a senior leadership role managing Engineering teams and software delivery at a significant scale as part of a successful fast-growing tech business
- Experience in rapidly scaling agile & lean Engineering organization, based on a proven ability to attract, inspire and retain top talent.
- Experience in consumer technology companies and developing mobile products is advantageous.
- Desire and drive to join an early stage organisation and to be pivotal in the growth and development of the engineering function are essential.
- Exceptional people and communication skills with a high degree of empathy – passion for mentoring, coaching and leading engineers - to ensure a strong engineering culture and excellence.
- Evidence of success in building robust, flexible, scalable technology products. An understanding of a platform product operating in a high-volume B2C business and coping with spikes in usage will be appreciated.
- Ability to formulate and articulate strategy/vision and effectively drive consensus across the organization. Pragmatism also a desired trait - able to align an objectives-driven agile culture with the operational needs of the business.
How do we work?
- Full flexibility: full remote, partial or in office as long as you’re available on CEST time.
- Competitive compensation and equity for full time employees (we want you to have ownership in the business)
- Anything that can help you grow in your role or beyond, it's on us
- 100% health coverage for you, and equal parental leave policy
- Generous vacation (everyone needs meaningful time off)
- Pick your work material - whatever supports you to do your best work
Our First Principles:
- Extreme Ownership
We are building a small team from scratch and are determined to build the most trustful social network to connect people together. So if you recognise yourself in this description, please contact us to introduce yourself.
P.S: We are building a diverse team. It's OK if you don't tick all the boxes. If you're talented and highly motivated, we'd still like to hear from you