Backend Engineer - Features
What do we believe in?
At BeReal, we are committed to building the first social network where people spontaneously share their real life, with no filters or followers, just friends sharing authentically. On BeReal, you'll discover your friends' genuine experiences and get closer to them!
BeReal thrives in a dynamic environment with a team of ambitious, dedicated, and compassionate colleagues. We're a close-knit group of 50+ individuals from all corners of the world. BeReal is the perfect place for you if you're seeking a space for both technical and personal growth. We are currently hiring for this role in Europe and the United States.
What are we looking for?
We are on the hunt for an exceptional and passionate Backend Engineer to join us in our ongoing mission to develop and scale BeReal to 100M+ users, all while prioritizing a world-class user experience. We value open-mindedness and are interested in candidates with a broad range of experiences from diverse backgrounds.
What you’ll do:
As the Backend Engineer, you will:
- Tackle exciting technical challenges, given the nature of our product, which experiences spikes of millions of users connecting within a 2-minute window.
- Contribute to the development of a robust architecture capable of supporting massive scale as we expand to new users and countries.
- Collaborate with the product and engineering teams to create new features for the app.
- Analyze trade-offs and address technical challenges related to key components of our backend.
- Participate in code and design reviews.
- We work swiftly and seek individuals who are energized by this pace. After all, we're a startup.
- Infrastructure: GCP, Kubernetes, Pub/Sub, GitHub, ArgoCD, gRPC protobuf
- Backend: Go, Node.js (NestJS, Nx, Typescript)
- Frontend: Swift (iOS), Kotlin (Android)
- Database: Spanner, PostgreSQL, Redis, BigQuery
What you’ll bring:
- You possess substantial experience in Go
- Alternatively, if you have strong experience building backend services in other languages and a desire to improve your Go skills, we're interested in you.
- You are self-reliant and have prior experience in a startup or similar environment.
- You value teamwork and thrive on challenges.
- You are proficient in English as our team is diverse and international.
- Most importantly, you believe in the project, are motivated, and eager to embark on an exciting and challenging journey.
How do we work?
Where you’ll be:
- We are a distributed workforce enabling our team to find a work mode that is best for them! We trust our team members to get great work done.
- We have an office based in Paris and if you are in Europe you would be expected to come to the office for 2 days each month (it's fun to get to know everyone) and in the US to meet with the rest of the US team (usually in NYC) for 2 days every 6 weeks
- We also have 3 weeks per year (Sunday - Friday) where the whole company gets together for 'Away Weeks' somewhere in the world (usually Europe)
- Full flexibility: whether you prefer full remote, partial, or in-office work (applicable to Europe and the US).
- Competitive compensation and equity for full-time employees (we believe in your ownership of the business).
- Support for your growth in your role and beyond, at our expense.
- Health coverage for you and an equitable parental leave policy.
- Pension/401k benefits.
- Generous vacation days (because everyone deserves meaningful time off).
- The option to choose your work equipment to help you perform at your best.
Our First Principles:
- Extreme Ownership.
We have a small, tight-knit team of excellent engineers building a social network that connects people genuinely. We’re looking to grow this team and find new engineers that add to our expertise and add new perspectives. If you resonate with this description, please get in touch to introduce yourself.
P.S: We are committed to building a diverse team. Even if you don't check all the boxes, we'd still like to hear from you, if you're talented and highly motivated.