What do we believe in?
At BeReal, we are building the first social network where people spontaneously share their real life. No filters. No followers. Just friends, sharing with each other. On BeReal, you discover your friends' real lives and get closer to them!
BeReal is a fast-paced environment with ambitious, committed, and caring colleagues. We are a small team of 40+ people all around the world. BeReal will be the place for you if you are looking for a place to grow both technically and as an individual.
What you’ll do:
This will be our first hire in Security at BeReal and we are looking for someone who can take the reigns end to end, starting with being a one person team and then growing the team as we scale to 100M DAUs and beyond across the globe
- This is our first hire in security and with our engineering first culture this role you will be hands on technically and focused on building world class security into our app
- Understand our current challenges (dig into the data/pen tests) and work in tandem with the engineering teams to fix any immediate issues as well as create world class security solutions to support our users all over the world
- Be a designer and security champion for BeReal from thinking about our security network to routing infrastructure to the security and privacy of our users data, and how security architecture design principles can be applied across the business
- Make it easy for developer teams to mitigate product risk by supporting their current workflows and helping them make an informed decision about when and how to reduce risk
- Tap your deep knowledge of security tools, processes and KPI, to aid the promotion of our best-in-security social platform
- Participate in code and design reviews to maintain our high development standards
- Be ready for anything and everything (we are still a scrappy startup) and know how to best support each issue quickly (be it yourself, outside support or relevant experts)
Our stack (for context):
- Infrastructure: GCP, Kubernetes, Pub/Sub, GitHub actions and ArgoCD
- Backend: Node.js (NestJS, Nx)
- Frontend: Swift (iOS), Kotlin (Android)
- Database: PostgreSQL, Redis
What you’ll bring:
- 5+ years experience working in mobile app ecosystems (B2C)- preferably at more than one scale up/start-up business
- Preferably you have been the ‘first in’ before and have experience setting up security within an app
- You will have an engineering first mentality with deep experience in backend technologies (we are in node/nestJS) and experience in building backend services
- You will be autonomous and a go getter - you will have experience digging into the data yourself and be able to advocate for the right tools and processes to drive this department forward whilst also having a product focused lens on your work
- You have automated infrastructure in public clouds and created services based on an infrastructure as code mentality via terraform
- You are used to working with other teams and engineers to implement secure coding guidelines and best practices
- Able to perform threat modeling for existing and future applications
- Keen to assess and integrate new tools and technologies to improve our operational efficiencies
- Solid communication skills: Demonstrated ability to explain complex technical issues to both technical and non-technical audiences
- You are a self starter, this is our first security role, so you will be the driver to get this department up and running
- You are curious and passionate and want to help our teams understand how machine learning can transform the user experience
How do we work?
Where you’ll be:
- We are a distributed workforce enabling our team to find a work mode that is best for them! We trust our team members to get great work done.
- We have an office based in Paris and if you are in Europe you would be expected to come to the office for a few days each month (it's fun to get to know everyone)
- Where in the world? For this role, we are looking for someone based in Europe
- Competitive compensation and equity for full time employees (we want you to have ownership in the business)
- Anything that can help you grow in your role or beyond, it's on us
- 100% health coverage for you, and equal parental leave policy
- Generous vacation (everyone needs meaningful time off)
- Pick your work material - whatever supports you to do your best work
Our First Principles:
- Extreme Ownership
We are building a small team from scratch and are determined to build the most trustful social network to connect people together. So if you recognize yourself in this description, please contact us to introduce yourself.