Working to solve our climate crisis is the most important mission of our time, and the most exciting problem to be working on. Overstory’s mission is to help solve our climate crisis by providing real-time intelligence about the planet’s vegetation. In our first step toward this mission, we are applying machine learning to satellite imagery to track forests and vegetation, helping to reduce the risk of wildfires and power outages.
We have already proven our business model and we’re all united behind our ambitious vision to scale up this model to help humanity and the planet. We recently raised a round of funding, led by Convective Capital. Other investors include: B Capital Group, Moxxie Ventures, Capital T, Pale Blue Dot and many other climate-focussed investors.
If you want to have a real impact and solve some of the world's most complex challenges with advanced technology, come work with our talented and passionate team. Overstory is based in Amsterdam but we are a remote-first company, with people living all over the U.S. and Europe.
We’re looking to hire an exceptional leader to head up people operations at Overstory. You’ll be part of a dedicated (and fast-growing!) team that is building the Overstory business so that it has a giant impact on the world.
For this role, we are looking for someone who is based in the Netherlands and who can come to Amsterdam on a regular basis.
About the role
You will manage the small but mighty people team but, given the nature of people operations, you will work across many teams. The main focus of your time will be managing (and, in many cases, doing) the operational tasks relating to people operations, from employment contracts to visa applications to compensation. Attracting top talent around the world to join Overstory and continually strengthening our remote team culture are also key responsibilities.
You’re comfortable with the ambiguity that comes with working at an early-stage startup and you don’t need to have everything well defined before you act. You run with things on your own, but you also know when to get feedback. You are an experienced manager who loves leading teams and developing the people around you. You have a passion for the urgency of solving our climate crisis.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, both in English and in Dutch
- Minimum of 10 years of professional experience in a HR or people operations role
- A strong grasp of Dutch employment law
- You’re an exceptional judge of talent
- You have experience building and managing a team
- Excellent interpersonal skills and extensive experience working with cross-functional teams
- Experience working at an international company
- You’re data-driven in your approach but you also never lose sight of the human impact of all decisions
- An unwavering commitment to the importance of diversity and inclusion
- You’ve worked at an early-stage startup
- Experience at a tech company
- A familiarity with hiring practices and employment benefits in the US
- Experience working with professional employer organizations (PEOs)
- €70,000 - €90,000
What you get
- To be part of truly mission-driven work that reduces wildfires, protects earth’s natural resources and helps solve our climate crisis.
- Flexible working environment with a lot of autonomy. We build our work days around our lives, not the other way around.
- Other benefits like a remote working budget, an educational budget and time to develop new skills.
- To be surrounded by an excellent, vibrant, smart team who have each other's back and believe in a culture of openness, tolerance and respect.
- Equity and a competitive salary.
About our team
We are a group of 38 people from all over the world. Eleven nationalities are represented in our team. We work remotely from eight different countries and occasionally (optionally!) meet up for in-person collaboration.
Diversity & Inclusion
We place enormous value on diversity and inclusion with regards to gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, age, education, disability, disciplines and skillsets. We believe that the best ideas emerge when people with different perspectives and approaches work together on a problem.
We’re always looking to diversify our team further, but we’re proud of the fact that four out of the eight people on our leadership team are female or non-white males, 40% of the overall team are female and 25% of the team are people of color. Our team speaks ten languages: English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Luxembourgish, Indonesian and Cantonese.