disguise sits at the heart of the most inspiring live and virtual experiences in the world, leading the market in building a software and hardware solution that designs, sequences and controls the most spectacular productions across film and TV, broadcast, live and corporate events.
Disguise is looking for a seasoned Unreal Technical Artist to push the boundaries of creative technology in broadcast, animation, visual effects, Live events and filmmaking.
As an Unreal Technical Artist, you will be supporting the disguise XRLab team, you will play a key role in guiding the use of Unreal Engine in live entertainment, broadcast and linear content creation – using your industry expertise to identify the needs of creatives, create proof of concepts of upcoming features, and provide hands-on support for productions both internal and external.
This position requires a generalist with Unreal knowledge, understanding of design principles, a keen appetite for learning and a unique combination of artistic, technical, and practical skills who is ready to take on bleeding-edge challenges and help shape the future of real-time Virtual Production. As a generalist, you will need to be an expert in at least one DCC program and have a high level of understanding of UE4.
Based on global project demand, interaction across other regions and time zones may be required to support the global team.
The successful candidate will be a confident self-starter with excellent communication skills and proven prior experience of successful project delivery within a creative technical environment. They will need to be confident in managing clients and customers, suggesting solutions and problem solving.
- Work closely with external customers to deliver industry-leading content that utilizes Unreal Engine and real-time technology to the fullest.
- Apply experience and knowledge to help optimize Unreal Engine deployment for virtual production, linear content creation, and live-broadcast workflows in real-world situations.
- Clearly understand production requirements and translate them into recommendations for both external customers and internal teams.
- Design Unreal Engine levels and animations from idea to implementation, using native Unreal Engine tools and 3rd-party graphics applications, using provided base graphic elements – such as 3D models, still images, and clips, create dynamic real-time animations
- Utilizes Unreal Engine’s Blueprints and scripting for automated, dynamic templates and user interaction with graphics
- Participates in key accounts Sales and Marketing opportunities – this might include demos, training, and proof of concept projects.
- Travel as needed when safety allows.
- Proven experience with Unreal Engine on real world projects.
- Strong understanding of multiple aspects of the Unreal Editor (ideally including the creation of sophisticated Editor Blueprints, Sequencer workflows, LiveLink, and nDisplay.)
- Expertise in film & television or live-broadcast practices and processes.
- Expertise with live camera tracking, data recording, virtual cameras, or in-camera visual effects.
- Ability to communicate complex technical issues to engine developers and product managers.
- Desire to both teach others and learn new techniques, becoming the industry expert on new features and practices as they arise.
- Knowledge of graphic design principles
- Expected basic knowledge of Networking and IT
- Advanced knowledge of Adobe creative suite
- Expert in at least one of; 3DS Max, Cinema 4D, Maya, Blender, or other reputable DCC tool
- Self starter with a ‘can do’ attitude
- First class communication, analytical, problem solving abilities
- Promote a positive and productive team culture to ensure success
- Someone who is flexible, innovative and forward thinking
Nice to have skills
- Basic C++ literacy is a plus.
- Disguise designer knowledge
- Openness to speak at one-to-many situations such as trade shows, Tech Talks, presentations at developer studios, etc.
- Willingness to travel.
Building on our two-decade legacy in the live event space, where our workflow has powered global concert tours for artists like U2 and Beyoncé, festivals like Coachella and Glastonbury and theatre productions like Frozen and Harry Potter, in the past year we have also led the way in Extended Reality (xR) for remote virtual production.
Our award-winning xR workflow has enabled over 300 productions in the past 12 months, for music artists such as Katy Perry and Billie Eilish, broadcast TV channels like ITV and Eurosport, enterprise businesses like SAP and Siemens, educational institutions like the University of Michigan and notable VFX studios like Framestore and DNEG.
We partner closely with Epic Games, NVIDIA, Netflix and many more to further develop and democratize our virtual production solution and enable teams anywhere to create their best story with the most innovative tools.
With offices in London, LA, Barcelona, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Seoul and Tokyo, we are a fast-growing company that hires bright, creative, talented individuals across the world to push the boundaries of visual experiences and build lasting relationships with our community.
We were delighted to be recognized as one of the Financial Times’ top 1000 fastest growing businesses for 2021. Watch our showreel to see just some of the incredible work of how disguise products are used
- Honest. We are real with ourselves and our clients and share our ideas with openness and transparency.
- Evolutionary. We innovate using our user’s ever-changing needs so our technology remains ahead-of-the-game.
- Fearless. We take the best path, not the easiest, and innovate where it’s right, not where it’s simplest.
- Resilience. We don’t give up until we find the right solution, even if it means going outside our remit.
- Belong. We create an environment where everyone feels like they belong and is empowered to do their best work.
We have a really competitive benefits package as we want to make sure we retain the best talent out there. Our benefits for every perm hire, globally include:
- LTIP scheme - disguise is aiming for $1bn 'unicorn' valuation in 2025, which would mean a payout to ALL employees (representing between 3 month and 2 years worth of salary)
- Salary - reviewed every twelve months w/ equal pay for equal work, and proactive pay increases for growing responsibilities
- Above and beyond gift voucher awards
- Long service rewards (3, 5, 10+ years)
- Gig allowance - £400 (or equivalent currency) on tickets every year
- Flexible hours - some people start work at 10am , and others begin at 7am and finish earlier. Create a pattern that works for your team and for you
- Hybrid working between home and our offices
- Enhance holiday entitlement - 20% above the statutory
- Belonging policies - including (but not limited to) support for Parental, Fertility, Miscarriage, Menopause and Transitioning
- Mental health and wellbeing - subscription to the calm app, weekly desk-yoga and mental health first-aid buddies
- Healthcare cash back plans & employee assistance programmes
- Coaching & mentoring
Don’t disguise your differences.
Innovation comes from everyone. We strive to create a workplace that reflects our diverse audience. We celebrate our people for their full authentic selves, and embrace uniqueness. Inclusion and Equity matter at disguise. We create together and we create everywhere.