Jumia is the leading pan-Africa e-commerce platform. Founded in 2012, Jumia’s mission is to improve the quality of everyday life in Africa by leveraging technology to deliver innovative, convenient and affordable online services to consumers, while helping businesses grow as they use our platform to reach and serve consumers.
Our platforms among others, comprises of:
- Marketplace, where we integrate with our sellers and manage products;
- Mall, which is our core e-com platform that enables customers to buy products;
- Logistics service, which enables the shipment and delivery of packages from sellers to consumers, and our external clients;
- Payment service, which facilitates transactions among participants active on our platform in our markets.
Through our online platforms, consumers can access a wide range of physical and digital goods and services, fashion, electronics, beauty products and also hotel and flight bookings or restaurant delivery.
With over 5,000 employees in more than 10 countries in Africa, Jumia is led by top talented leaders offering a great mix of local and international talents and is backed by very high-profile shareholders. Jumia is committed to creating a sustainable impact for Africa. Jumia offers unique opportunities in a vibrant and booming environment, creating new jobs and skills, and empowering a new generation.
Tech at Jumia:
We are a Tech Driven company with an Innovative spirit. At Jumia Tech, you will work under the most updated technologies and work methodologies, collaborating between multiple teams across disciplines - Business, Product and Engineering. We are great fans of Agile philosophy and we aim to keep things simple but smart and fast. Also, for Jumia, technology relates with improvement for our world. We see technology as something we need to put purpose into. Our mission is to leverage technology to improve everyday life in Africa and we do it by delivering convenient and affordable online services to consumers, helping them fulfill basic everyday needs. And while we’re present in Africa, we get to take African economy online, helping small and large businesses grow and reach new consumers. This is what drives our day to day decisions.
We are looking for great people to join our amazing teams and celebrate our achievements. At Jumia we work hard, but we do Tech With Purpose!
What you will be doing:
As a Senior PHP Developer, you will be part of an agile Software Development Team and will be responsible for the full lifecycle of an application.
- You will be working with a team of talented Engineers and entrusted in defining the solution, leading the design, architecture and development of web applications using PHP and related technologies;
- You will collaborate with the product team and stakeholders to translate product feature requirements into sechnical specifications, and will identify the best approach for large pieces of work that span multiple components and teams;
- You will perform code reviews, provide feedback and guidance to your team, and ensure the overall quality and maintainability;
- You will be instrumental in optimizing performance of the application by implementing caching mechanisms, database optimizations and applicable code refactoring;
- You will troubleshoot and resolve complex technical issues in highly distributed systems;
- You will also be mentoring your junior colleagues, and helping elevate the skills and developing the team, ensuring the team stays up to date and applies the new trends in the industry;
- As an expert in the area, you will be the go-to person for big ideas and problem-solving;
- With your large expertise, we know that you'll add a lot of value to the team - be it by suggesting alternative methodologies that may be more efficient, actively improving the tooling to improve use cases, or even designing and developing a technical solution or new processes to create robust, reliable and scalable systems;
- You can expect to use cutting-edge technologies to deliver amazing value and the best product to our customers while scaling our platform to meet the demands of worldwide markets;
- You will be required to program well-designed, testable, efficient code to solve business needs, as well as test and document the implemented solutions.
What we are looking for:
- 8+ Years of Experience in web application development in PHP, with a strong understanding of PHP language and frameworks (e.g. Zend Expressive, Laravel, Symfony)
- Acquainted with building testable code, unit tests and/or integration tests
- Knowledgeable of software design and architecture patterns
- Strong knowledge of relational databases (especially MySQL) and SQL, performance tuning and optimizations
- Experience in working with high concurrency, highly transactable, high available platforms
- Experience in migration of legacy systems
- Experience in API integrations, web services and third party libraries
- Experience with code versioning tools
- DevSecOps mindset
- Aware of fault-tolerance and secure programming concepts
- Experienced in some of the following concepts: message queuing, caching, NoSQL, SOA, CI/CD, application and system monitoring
- Experienced working with Scrum processes
- Experience of working with Gearman would be a plus
- Proficiency in other front end technologies like html, css, js is a plus
- Fluent in English, strong communication and collaboration abilities
- Ability to drive consensus in a multi disciplinary environment
- Critical thinking and Problem solving capabilities
- Analytical and troubleshooting skills
- Openness to handling both legacy systems and greenfield projects
- Being resilient and Challenging the status quo
- Extreme accountability and drive for results
- A unique experience in an entrepreneurial, yet structured environment
- A unique opportunity of having strong impact in building the African e-commerce sector
- The opportunity to become part of a highly professional and dynamic team
- An unparalleled personal and professional growth as our longer term objective is to train the next generation of leaders