Creating innovative financial products is incredibly difficult today, and we believe that unlocking the way people interact with their finances starts with enabling developers with the tools and infrastructure needed to execute on their vision.
Stitch is a developer-first API startup with a mission to deeply connect financial systems with the wider world. We provide an API which allows third-party apps and websites to interact with their user's financial accounts in ways that unlocks the ability for companies across Africa to build innovative technology products quickly.
The Head of Legal reviews a range of contracts, gives advice on legal risks that are associated with local and international laws, and develops internal legal processes to support the company’s growth.
Legal, Regulatory & Compliance
2 calendar month
IC 3 or 4
- Master a deep understanding of the rules and regulations governing each market in which we operate, including monitoring of any changes and developments and maintaining active relationships with regulatory counterparts
- Internally advise and work with our Product & Distribution teams to develop a regulatory roadmap that allows Stitch to go-to-market effectively with its payments and data products
- Draft and review legal documentation that meet both local regulation requirements and product & sales objectives, such as customer / partner contracts, service-level agreements, and terms & conditions
- Originate and manage outsourced / localized legal & compliance relationships on a per-territory basis where additional advisory may be required
- Develop and implement a framework of policies and procedures for managing and mitigating operational and compliance risks, including know-your-customer (KYC) and anti-money laundering (AML)
- Oversee the gathering of international documentation to meet external reporting obligations, whether facing regulators, investors, customers, or any other external counterpart
- Develop, coordinate, and/or oversee internal and external audit procedures
- Maintain up to date documentation and policies related to the organization's compliance activities
- 5 - 10 years in a senior legal, regulatory, risk, or compliance role in payments & financial services
- Licensed attorney in current area of practice
- Deep knowledge of applicable global and local payments and data compliance regulation e.g., GDPR, and open banking regulations
- Familiarity with information security standards such as ISO 27001 and CIS Top 18
- Ability to develop relationships with relevant regulators (payments bodies, Central Banks or other regulatory bodies) across relevant jurisdictions
- Prior track record working cross-functionally to enable regulatory compliance across multiple dimensions of a high-growth business: within product (e.g. as counsel to product design and T/Cs), within business development (e.g. identifying ways to onboard partners and customers in a compliant way), and within technology (e.g. working with information security to build a robust IS org)
At Stitch, we want our team members to be able to work from anywhere. As a business with continental (and eventually global) ambitions, we firmly believe that putting the best team together involves letting both current and future Stitches work from where they want to. You’ll have the opportunity to work from one of our offices (Cape Town & Johannesburg) if you wish or remotely. Remote team members will have the opportunity to visit our offices regularly where we have team lunches every day! 🍜 Friends, family, pets - everyone's invited!
🎨 Stock Options
We want to ensure that you own a part of this company, as your work will drive the fabric of the business.
🩺 Medical Aid
Stitch contributes and provides medical aid coverage for all team members.
All Stitchers receive a state of the art laptop (e.g. MacBook Pro) along with a $200 budget to spend on a keyboard and mouse of your choice.
🔥 Culture & Values
Stitch has a culture that emphasizes sustainable processes, kindness, and work-life balance. We value diversity in all its forms and believe that a broad range of lived experiences makes our team and product stronger. This is especially important to us as our leadership team includes diverse racial backgrounds and members of the LGBTQ+ community.
⛽ Our Investors
Stitch is a well-funded venture-backed startup. Our network of global investors include the co-founders of Venmo, Klarna and Flutterwave, and founding team members from Plaid and Revolut.
Our network of investor funds include firstminute capital, Raba Partnership, CRE and Village Global, bringing backing from LPs such as Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, Eric Schmidt and Jeff Bezos.
This funding gives us the capital to make sure that all employees are empowered to do their jobs, and incorporates industry veterans who will help us grow and operate a multinational fintech startup.
We care deeply about developer experience and aim to provide tools and systems that software engineers will rave about. The team has collectively had a great deal of experience building fintech and developer-facing products in Africa and other emerging markets.