Across the FT Group, our people are united by a mission to deliver world-class information, news and services to our global audiences. We're a digital-first organisation made up of journalists, technologists, product managers, event planners, strategists, commercial and finance experts, marketing and communications specialists - and much more. Our strength is in our employees.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion in the workplace
At the FT, we aim for employees across all regions to have a voice so that diverse perspectives are heard and valued. We believe that a supportive workplace is one where employees feel they can be themselves at work and have the flexibility they need to meet their personal needs. We'll continue to remove barriers for all, and in particular barriers facing employees from underrepresented groups.
The Role / Position Overview
This full time role will be based in the FT’s Manila office and will report to the Deputy Head of Compliance based in London, with a dotted line to the Data Governance Expert in Manila (to provide local support, particularly in relation to data compliance) and to the Deputy Company Secretary in UK. It is a varied role supporting the Compliance and Secretariat team with global compliance (data protection, anti-bribery and corruption, sanctions, and modern slavery), primary contact for conducting and recording due diligence on new suppliers, liaising with external law firm re Secretary’s certificates, board minutes, and other local Company Secretarial matters as needed, ad hoc legal research and the provision of education and training to Manila based staff; and assisting the Manila team to comply with relevant legal and regulatory requirements
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Compliance – Due Diligence Reviews, Data Protection, Anti-Bribery and Corruption (ABC), Sanctions, Slavery
- Due diligence – reviewing all contracts via the procurement process, ensuring appropriate risk assessments and due diligence have been conducted, approving low risk contracts and escalating high risks, and ensuring the team due diligence tracker is up to date.
- Developing the role of “go to” person for data protection/ ABC compliance matters in the Manila office. This involves communicating between the Manila business and UK compliance team. A key part of this is organising and running data protection, modern slavery and ABC training courses and awareness initiatives for the Manila office.
- Ensuring that all new-hires have gone through relevant online compliance trainings.
- Updating ABC and Contra registers of approvals and tracking responses and provision of additional information that has been requested.
- Liaising with appropriate teams in Manila to schedule training sessions, working with the Compliance team in London to plan the session and ensure accurate records of training attendees are maintained (both for training sessions in Manila, as well as those in London and the US).
- Conducting checks of individuals and entities to determine if they are on the sanctions lists.
- Extending whatever assistance the Manila team needs in relation to legal compliance.
- Monitoring customer queries regarding deletion, suppression, and subject access requests in line with the UK General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
- Liaising with necessary individuals to track and resolve internal compliance help desk queries.
- Coordinating with different teams to ensure that the process on GDPR queries are strictly followed and to send responses to individuals on time.
- Ensuring that minutes and papers of Data Governance Council meetings are maintained in a structured format.
- General support to the UK Compliance team on request.
- Company Secretariat
- Assisting the Deputy Company Secretary with corporate matters in relation to the FT’s Manila registered legal entity.
- Acting as the primary contact with our external law firm in Manila on company secretarial matters, including the coordination of the internal approval of matters, communicating with the external law firm and ensuring all internal stakeholders are updated accordingly.
- Maintaining structured internal copies of statutory records for our Manila registered legal entity held by the external law firm.
- Assisting in the submission of audit requirements which are related to Company Secretarial and Contract Management.
- Bachelor’s degree graduate level or equivalent
- Excellent oral and written English
- Ability to work independently and manage own workload to meet deadlines.
- Good research skills.
- Very good attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Proactive approach to problem solving.
- Basic understanding of legal issues including the principles of data protection.
- Confident in the provision of training.
- Desirable - basic knowledge of corporate law and an ability to quickly gain an understanding of the company by-laws, business activities and compliance requirements.
What’s in it for you? Our Benefits
Our benefits vary depending on location, but we are committed to providing best in class perks across all our offices as well as an inclusive environment to develop your career. Examples of our benefits include; generous annual leave allowances, flexible working (including working from home), medical cover, enhanced maternity & paternity packages, subsidised gym memberships and Giving Back opportunities. Full details of our benefits can be found here.
The FT are committed to providing an inclusive working environment for all. We are an equal opportunities employer who seeks to recruit and appoint the best talent regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We also promote flexible working and will consider specific requests around flexibility for all roles where it can be accommodated. Please let us know if you require any adjustments as part of the application process or to enable you to attend an interview. If you would like to discuss your requirements, or have any questions, please contact a member of our HR team who will be happy to help.