Across the FT Group, our people are united by a mission to deliver world-class information, news and services to our global audiences. We're a digital-first organisation made up of journalists, technologists, product managers, event planners, strategists, commercial and finance experts, marketing and communications specialists - and much more. Our strength is in our employees.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion in the workplace
At the FT, we aim for employees across all regions to have a voice so that diverse perspectives are heard and valued. We believe that a supportive workplace is one where employees feel they can be themselves at work and have the flexibility they need to meet their personal needs. We'll continue to remove barriers for all, and in particular barriers facing employees from underrepresented groups.
The Role / Position Overview
Our advertising customers and their agencies view the FT as an essential marketing platform for reaching some of the world’s most influential and discerning audiences within a high quality, brand safe environment.
This role sits within the digital development team that is part of a broader advertising operations team. Digital development comprises commercial product development, the management of advertising platforms and vendors, business intelligence, advertising data and CRM. It is this team that delivers much of the framework and capabilities that are essential for FT to be viewed as a marketing platform by our customers.
The digital development team works closely with the product and technology department at the FT with a model whereby the advertising department funds developers and engineers that sit as part of the product and technology department for alignment on technical standards whilst having a roadmap that is to a large extent steered by the digital development team
The role will work to support the alignment of roadmaps ensuring a consistent approach across teams, that the right things happen whilst seeking to deliver value that delivers on the vision. It will work across disciples to ensure that work flows effectively clearly communicating the vision, schedule and progress.
This is a senior role and you will contribute significantly to how the team operates so as to deliver value whilst ensuring stakeholders are correctly engaged.
Stakeholder alignment of roadmaps will typically sit with team leaders with the delivery manager providing support to ensure the roadmap is realistic given resources. Once roadmaps are agreed with stakeholders, reporting back on overall delivery of the roadmaps and agreed goals will be the responsibility of the delivery manager. The role will ideall sit between stakeholders and team leaders once the roadmap is agreed policing any changes and ensuring careful consideration is given.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Work with team leaders on the alignment of all our roadmaps ensuring a consistent approach across our teams and ensuring that our planned work is reviewed well in advance to identify areas of crossover and interdependence.
- Influence roadmaps where this helps to achieve alignment and where it supports achieving the highest overall benefit to FT.
- Ensure a consistent approach across our teams for planning, delivery, our use of Jira and reporting back to stakeholders.
- Take a proactive approach to ensuring Jira tickets for work in progress are updated by individual team members freeing up team leaders from this responsibility.
- Help the team to agree delivery goals and measure the extent to which they are achieved flagging any risks or any unplanned work that may impact on our ability to deliver.
- Stakeholder alignment of roadmaps will sit with team leaders with the delivery manager providing support to ensure the roadmap is realistic given resources.
- Ensure team members have created well defined user stories and that the work required to deliver on roadmap items is well understood so as to ensure workloads are well planned.
- Provide guidance and advice on how best to structure our user stories to be most effective as well as coaching our teams so as to help them improve.
- Once roadmaps are agreed with stakeholders, reporting back on overall delivery of the roadmaps and agreed goals will be the responsibility of the delivery manager.
- This role needs to relieve admin for the teams. As such this role will need to work out processes that are light touch whilst still ensuring all can be delivered with structure
- The focus for alignment will be quarterly and longer term roadmaps . Teams will make their own sprint cadences that work best for their individual areas of responsibility
- Seek to protect delivery teams from loss of focus due to unplanned work being requested. Seek to ensure a clear process for new development requests ensuring it is properly understood and rolled out to the department with clear updates on progress once a request has been made
- Ensure that our project data is well structured so as to be trusted and inform conversations about continuous improvement
Coach and facilitate teams - Resolve conflict and disagreement, lead workshops, remove distractions and impediments, help them make decisions, whatever it takes to ensure they are able to operate effectively.
Create transparency - Clearly communicate vision, schedule and progress, both within and outside of the teams.
You will adopt and champion effective change management, ensuring that the adoption and acceptance of changes are fully planned for, supported and realised in collaboration with leaders in the area affected.
You will be responsible for delivering products and/or business changes that lead to broader strategic outcomes than could be covered by a single delivery team.
You have in depth experience and understanding of:
- Digital product and platform development
- Coaching agile teams and individuals, workshop facilitation and structured problem solving
- Pan-business stakeholder management experience
- Managing delivery and priorities using measurable business outcomes
- Financial management and building investment cases
- Managing programmes of multiple teams, including 3rd party suppliers
- Developing other Delivery Management staff
You are obsessed with value, measurement, teamwork and driving delivery to achieve commercial objectives. You enjoy communicating, facilitating, creating vision and consensus, but are also a leader in your own right. You are also adept at stakeholder communication, engagement and creating transparency.
You are therefore
- Enthusiastic, proactive and able to resolve conflict - individuals and teams
- Able to steer both teams and a programme towards self-organisation
- Able to quickly understand business domains and assess genuine business value
- A clear, adaptive and transparent communicator
- Proactive and an accomplished influencer - ability to negotiate with other programmes and teams to deliver work packages to fixed deadlines.
- Able to manage and track work, dependencies, risks and issues across multiple streams and groups.
Key working relationships
- Global Digital development Director
- Advertising operations management
- Sales management and teams
- Commercial Strategy & Insight team
- Product managers and other delivery managers across the business
- BI and CRM dev teams
- Third party suppliers and vendors
What’s in it for you? Our Benefits
Our benefits vary depending on location, but we are committed to providing best in class perks across all our offices as well as an inclusive environment to develop your career. Examples of our benefits include; generous annual leave allowances, flexible working (including working from home), medical cover, enhanced maternity & paternity packages, subsidised gym memberships and Giving Back opportunities. Full details of our benefits can be found here.
The FT is committed to providing an inclusive working environment for all. We are an equal opportunities employer who seeks to recruit and appoint the best talent regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We also promote flexible working and will consider specific requests around flexibility for all roles where it can be accommodated. Please let us know if you require any adjustments as part of the application process or to enable you to attend an interview. If you would like to discuss your requirements, or have any questions, please contact a member of our HR team who will be happy to help.