Here at the FT, gold-standard journalism is just the beginning. 500-people strong, our Product and Tech team keeps us ahead of the ever-changing digital landscape by delivering cutting-edge products to over one million digital subscribers every day. Our plans for growth rely on a diverse, dedicated and dynamic group of product, tech, delivery and data specialists - everyone’s welcome in this friendly, forward-thinking team. And with entrepreneurial spirit, intelligence and opportunity at every turn, there’s no limits to where your FT career will take you.
At the FT, we aim for employees across all regions to have a voice so that diverse perspectives are heard and valued. We believe that a supportive workplace is one where employees feel they can be themselves at work and have the flexibility they need to meet their personal needs. We’re committed to diversity and inclusion, and want to encourage applications from underrepresented backgrounds. We consider part-time roles and flexible working hours to help support this.
As Product Manager in the Newsroom in Internal Products you will be responsible for defining and delivering part of our Product Strategy.
You will be the voice of the users, developing an in-depth understanding of the way they interact with our internal products/services and be able to find and articulate the valuable things our teams can do to enhance our business outcomes.
You will be responsible for explaining the _why_ of a multidisciplinary team, setting tangible goals, then guiding them through the daily priorities to achieve them. You’ll be able to find the right balance of long and short term objectives and be able to use qualitative & quantitative data to measure, learn and pivot as needed.
You will form a partnership with the senior stakeholders in your immediate business area to understand their needs and to make them aware of how they can leverage new features and technical developments in your domain. You will do this in collaboration with the other disciplines in your team (engineering, UX, delivery etc).
You will also communicate with a wider department and company about the work your team is doing, helping gain support for your vision and telling a story about your progress.
The Editorial Technology team recently completed a major project building a new content management system and now aims to deliver the tools to take FT journalism to the next level. The challenge ahead for this role lies in leveraging our data, content, metadata and other assets to create the greatest impact and value for our editorial users, readers, and the business.
To be successful in this role you will ...
- Be able to analyse data to draw insights and use this to prioritise work.
- Have excellent written and oral communication skills, a natural evangelist for the products you are working on.
- Be confident in leading teams and stakeholders by influence.
- Have knowledge of the entire product lifecycle from insights, to roadmap development, blending user experience and data-driven approaches.
- Have a strong personal interest in the news media, relishing the chance to help build the future of one of the great global brands in media.
The Hiring Process
We understand that interviews are often stressful for no good reason, so we designed our interview process to be rigorous but friendly. We’re committed to furthering equality and diversity in the tech industry, so we’ll be especially happy to see applications from underrepresented backgrounds.
The role you are applying for is in Internal Products, which is split into four main teams:-
- Editorial: This team has built a suite of modern applications for our Editorial staff to write, edit, and publish thousands of news stories, videos, and podcasts every week. The tools help our 600 journalists collaborate across the world and visualise the performance of everything we publish.
- Marketing: This team are responsible for ensuring our Marketing teams across the FT have a data platform full of rich customer information as well creating marketing automation tools that use that data to help personalise our communications with each subscriber.
- CRM: The team looks after the products and technology that support our B2B and other commercial sales teams, currently being given an complete end-to-end overhaul. The systems enable 450 people across the FT to be able to collaborate on all aspects of the sales process, understand their customers (past, present, and future) across the entire lifecycle.
- Finance: This team are modernising the technology and finance processes that run the FT. We are partnering with the 200-person Finance team to ensure the operational work is fast, simple, and automated and also working with management teams across the FT to give them the financial insights they need to run the organisation.
- First-Party Data: This team are looking at opportunities to commercialise the data the FT has collected over the past few years. In order to to the we need to have a well organised, up-to-date, centrally governed set of information, all of which requires organisation-wide coordination.