Company & Department Context
Here at the The Financial Times, gold-standard journalism is just the beginning. 500-people strong, our Product and Tech team keeps us ahead of the ever-changing digital landscape by delivering cutting-edge products to over one million digital subscribers every day. Our plans for growth rely on a diverse, dedicated and dynamic group of product, tech, delivery and data specialists - everyone’s welcome in this friendly, forward-thinking team. And with entrepreneurial spirit, intelligence and opportunity at every turn, there’s no limits to where your FT career will take you.
Learn more about the FT, including announcements and career opportunities, at aboutus.ft.com.
A key part of the FT business, providing significant revenue and contribution to the FT, is Specialist Titles. This is an exciting time for Specialist Titles as we have created a large new cross-functional product & technology team in Sofia to support the needs of these products. The team’s focus will be across 3 distinct areas:
- Existing products - protecting existing profit and enabling outcome-driven development eg: engagement, acquisition, and retention;
- Incremental growth from existing products - via product extensions, driving additional revenue; and
- Diversification - growing and diversifying through growth initiatives into new markets.
The Specialist Titles portfolio consists of 16 different brands including MandateWire, FDI Intelligence, Investors' Chronicle, and the Banker, to name a few.
We are looking for a Principal Software Engineer to join FT Specialist as our team is entering a new era. We have a golden opportunity to renew our technology estate, use best practices, and build a modern sustainable technology stack that will underpin the success of the business for years to come.
Responsibilities of the role
- Help with technical decision-making to support the technology strategy
- Aid and support the personal development of more junior team members
- Develop and maintain an understanding of the business domains within FT Specialist. Use that understanding to shape the development of the platforms you build.
- Work within the department's strategy and guardrails, and contribute to their ongoing refinement.
- Have a practical approach to working with a large portfolio of products that leverage a diverse range of technologies.
- Communicate widely within the organisation to ensure best practice in other areas is understood and adopted where it makes sense to do so.
Essential skills and experience
- People management experience
- Extensive experience using the wide range of technologies and patterns required to build modern web products and services along with the tools that enable their creation. From CDNs, networking, cloud infrastructure, and databases through to performance tuning and optimisation.
- Experience with the tooling, monitoring, and engineering that enables highly fault-tolerant systems in cloud environments.
- Writing automated unit and end-to-end tests – with best practice in mind – for feature development
- Ability to clearly reason about and articulate reasoning behind technical trade-offs (e.g. red/blue technical debt)
- Able to balance the customer and business product needs with those needed to build high-quality products.
- Understand the importance of diversity and equality in a well functioning team
- Be able to communicate clearly and concisely
Desirable skills and experience
- An understanding of modern front-end development
- Experience with developing Salesforce Applications using APEX
- Experience with backend Java development using frameworks like Vert.X
- Have built software using the 12factor methodology
- You have an understanding of design and UX principles.
- Understanding of web technologies, their strengths, and weaknesses, and their impact on users in performance and accessibility.
- Instrumenting for observability and operability
In Return, We Can Offer You
- Annual bonus scheme
- 25 days annual paid leave
- 24/7 Employee Assistance Program
- Private Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Enhanced Maternity and Paternity Leave policy
- Food Vouchers
- Multisport Card
- Work-life balance and work from home practice
- Both in house and external training programs
- Your own training dedicated budget (for conferences, courses etc.)
Don’t forget to send over your CV!
The Financial Times Ltd. committed to equality of opportunity. We are determined to create a diverse group at all levels of our Company and we welcome all members of the community we serve to apply for openings with us.
At the FT, we are committed to providing an inclusive working environment for all. We are an equal opportunities employer that seeks to recruit and appoint the best talent regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We also promote flexible working and will consider specific requests around flexibility for all roles where it can be accommodated. We aim to treat all employees in a fair and consistent manner, promote good working relationships to encourage high standards of conduct and performance within a work environment free from harassment, bullying and discrimination. Please let us know if you require any adjustments as part of the application process or to enable you to attend an interview. If you would like to discuss your requirements, or have any questions, please contact a member of our HR team who will be happy to help.