12 month FTC
The FT has an uncompromising mission: delivering independent, quality information, news and services to individuals and companies around the globe. It’s the cornerstone of our reputation and the heart of our ambitions for the future. But for our people, the FT offers so much more than what we do. FT people come from all kinds of backgrounds and work across a huge range of disciplines and locations, and find an empowering, warm and welcoming culture that values curiosity and rewards smart, ambitious thinking. Those who are willing to unite around our mission and live our values will find plenty to challenge, inspire and interest them. Like the audiences we serve, no two FT people are the same; but together we help our audience be better informed and understand the world around them. It’s a job that’s never mattered more, and a career that can take you anywhere you want to go.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion in the workplace
At the FT, we aim for employees across all regions to have a voice so that diverse perspectives are heard and valued. We believe that a supportive workplace is one where employees feel they can be themselves at work and have the flexibility they need to meet their personal needs. We'll continue to remove barriers for all, and in particular barriers facing employees from underrepresented groups.
The Role / Position Overview
The Procurement function has a global remit and is part of the Global Finance team; it has responsibility for providing a clear and transparent approach to procurement processes, whilst ensuring integrity and fairness, clear responsibility for Supplier selection, negotiation, contract & performance management.
The FT has recently implemented a new Procurement system; Coupa. This brings a wealth of new opportunities for the Procurement team from increased and upfront visibility of spend across the whole FT group, through to engagement with new business areas and providing the team with industry leading tools and data to drive performance and decision making.
Based in London at the corporate headquarters, this role is part of a small Procurement team.
What you will be responsible for:
- Leading procurement projects for specific business areas: to include developing sourcing strategies, running RFP processes, evaluating responses and the creation and execution of successful negotiation plans. Key business areas that you will be working with include Facilities, Marketing, Central Services, HR as well as our FT Consultancy team; FT Strategies. The focus is supporting on non tech related spend.
- For key business areas ensuring that sourcing options take into account the total cost of ownership and proactively suggesting ways of reducing the TCO.
- Able to provide advice and guidance to key stakeholders on all procurement related activities and offering solutions which deliver the best outcomes as well as balancing any constraints. In addition, being able to effectively cope with ambiguity in requirements and offer suggested best approaches to manage.
- Proactively working with senior stakeholders to both influence and challenge to deliver the best outcomes
- Balancing needs of multiple stakeholders and business areas and being able to effectively prioritise
- Developing a strong understanding of the key business areas and bringing latest industry knowledge and insights which are valued by the business stakeholders and evidenced by feeding into sourcing strategies
- Working closely with key finance stakeholders for key business areas to proactively identify cost saving opportunities, support with forecasting and ensuring all savings are correctly validated and recorded
- Ownership of contract renewals within key category areas and actively looking to negotiate improved commercial terms and to reduce exposure to RPI / CPI risks
- Applying the agreed supplier management framework: In conjunction with the business develop and implement appropriate supplier management plans to include documented governance structures
- Confidently using Coupa in line with the departmental guidelines for supplier onboarding, contracting, contract renewals and terminations and to be able to sign post suppliers and stakeholders in relation to any help or support needed to access and use Coupa
- Reporting and keeping up to date on procurement activities, including savings and benefits achieved, to the Procurement Director and stakeholders
- Challenging and influencing business stakeholders where appropriate to ensure the best outcome for FT. Being confident in balancing local business requirements with group priorities
- Conducting market research on current best practices and future market trends for key categories
- Supporting the Procurement Director develop procurement strategies, policies, procedures and associated information management
- Proactively supporting with the enhancement of team documentation and reporting
- Proactively supporting and enabling Procurement colleagues through sharing information, best practices, lessons learned; and mentoring less experienced Procurement staff
Key Competencies to be demonstrated in this role
- Develops plans and gains buy-in and takes responsibility for managing execution
- Proactively encourages the sharing of best practice across the Procurement Team and FT Stakeholders
- Able to prioritise and distil key messages. Cuts through the noise in order to deliver a clear steer to the team and stakeholders.
- Resilient in dealing with other people. Seeks dialogue with stakeholders as a means of learning
- Able to deliver well constructed presentations in a clear, concise and engaging manner without support
- Able to confidently manage stakeholders at SMG and director level without direct support
- Demonstrates systematic approach to keeping informed. Tunes into changes in priority and can adapt accordingly
- Well respected and trusted across the business with a record of accountability and collaborative spirit
- Actively participates in cross functional platforms and forums and always looking for opportunities to promote the role of Procurement
- Actively aiding decision making at MD and Board Level with regards to sourcing / supplier decisions - input is valued by the stakeholders and involved in the discussions vs being looped in & asked to support once decision made
- Proactive self development
- Proactive at keeping up to date with market trends for key categories which is used to help drive better decision making and output
Accountability & Leadership:
- Proactively seeks to reach outside their comfort zone and seeks new ways to develop
- Knows how to manage upwards and downwards
- Takes full ownership of goals and is accountable to results. Takes action to deliver on objectives and measures outcomes.
- Sets standard on accountability and creates an environment open to feedback and new ways of working
- Responds constructively to feedback from team members and adapts quickly
- Asks challenging questions
What’s in it for you? Our Benefits
Our benefits vary depending on location, but we are committed to providing best in class perks across all our offices as well as an inclusive environment to develop your career. Examples of our benefits include; generous annual leave allowances, flexible working (including working from home), medical cover, enhanced maternity & paternity packages, subsidised gym memberships and Giving Back opportunities. Full details of our benefits can be found here.
The FT is committed to providing an inclusive working environment for all. We are an equal opportunities employer who seeks to recruit and appoint the best talent regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We also promote flexible working and will consider specific requests around flexibility for all roles where it can be accommodated. Please let us know if you require any adjustments as part of the application process or to enable you to attend an interview. If you would like to discuss your requirements, or have any questions, email@example.com and a member of our team will be happy to help.